The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Hiya there!

New to Camaro 6, but not new to Camaros.

First, I'm AD military living in Las Vegas, nearing retirement and looking forward to growing up and making real money soon.

My first Camaro was a 2000 M6 Z/28 that I got for a song. It was the first (car) love of my life, and I spent a lot of time and money on her. Ultimately, it was cammed and juiced with a lot of suspension goodies (StranoSpeed suspension, if anyone remembers Sam Strano...), putting down just over 400 to the wheels on the cam, and slightly over 500 on the spray - back in the early/mid 2000s, when that much HP was respectable ;-).

Ultimately, I convinced my mom to part ways with her car that was sitting around in the garage doing nothing - a 1969 M4 Z/28 clone (by name only, it was running a traditional 350). She and her husband rarely did any maintenance to it, so after I got it, I spent quite a bit of time doing a lot of basic-but-needed maintenance just to make it safe to drive - it was a hot mess! But boy, did everyone want to buy it when I'd take it out for a ride. It was a 20-footer at best. I had thoughts of resto-modding it, but ultimately I was moved from Nebraska to Baltimore/DC, and as a single guy at the time could not afford a garage to store it. Winter, snow, and the elements would have destroyed her. I let her, and my 2000 Z/28 go...

My interests were changing - I didn't care about drag racing anymore, and I moved on from those to a Nissan 370Z. To me, it would be a nimble, fun track car. Humorously, outside of less squeaky panels and whatnot, it was a bit of a downgrade from the 2000 Z/28 - it was slower, had WORSE fuel economy, and it weighed MORE. If that 370Z had an LS in it, it would have felt untouchable. I owned this car, and raced it, for 5 years. It was lightly modded for racing, but that was about it. In fact, you may have seen my infamous video if you're into track gore, on YouTube. For some reason, it got a ton of popularity recently...

Ultimately, in a span of 2 days (and even less time to make the decision), I sold my 370Z, found a 2002 Z06, and bought it for almost a straight trade. I very lightly modded the Z06 (stuff like a new shifter, upgraded the headlight gears, and other very small goodies) - it already came with a shorty-back exhaust that sounded absolutely wonderful with minimal drone. Enjoy a little video of the last time I took it out on the track! Off-track excursion around the 11 minute mark, I believe - just barely missed a braking point, no damage done. It was a fantastic machine, and a clear performance upgrade over the 370Z. I miss it!

I had gotten pretty big into motorcycles at this point though - I already had 2 (a 2007 BMW R1200R, and a 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R) - and frankly, on nice days, I almost always took the bikes out instead of the car. I decided that I'd sell my old BMW for a newer, faster one (a 2016 BMW K1300S, which is in essence a BMW Hayabusa), and sell the Corvette to downsize. I also track the Kawasaki which is quite a bit cheaper than tracking a car lol.

So now, I have a big ol' 2019 3500 DRW truck, and my 2 bikes. I sold my big RV recently thanks to the market, and ultimately, I wanted to move into the all-electric Silverado coming out. Bummer: they likely won't be around for at least 2 more years. That's a long time to have a big-arse truck with nothing to pull.

I decided to come full circle, and put an order in on a 2SS 1LE Camaro in Vivid Orange. By the time my trade-in is done, along with how little I owe on the truck, I will have no car payment (the biggest thing holding me back from a ZL1 to be honest - no car payment is nice!). I'll daily drive that for a couple of years, save up a bunch extra for the new truck, and grab me a new Silverado once the electrics come rolling out, and the truck market calms down a bit. Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Attached Images

MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 11-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Welcome!
Old 12-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Raelo76

Drives: Camaro
Welcome
Raelo76 is offline   Reply With Quote