Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Door gasket seal came off

I was driving on the highway and kept hearing a whistling sound - I looked over thinking I had not shut my door all the way only to see that it was closed fully. Over my shoulder I could see a small hole/ gap where the gasket and door meet.

When I eventually stopped and checked what was causing the noise I found that my door gasket - the thing that seals the window and where it meets the rear quarter - small - windows, had started coming off. I am talking about the rubber thing that lines the vertical side of the drivers door and is directly in front of the rear quarter windows - it is a rubber tube/ gasket? That seals that window and door against the outside. It is the rubber the lines the entire inside of the door and pushes against the inside of the drivers door once the door closes. Hopefully my description is good enough not to need pictures.

...it was a hot day today hitting 84 to 90F so I am figuring that it melted off and the heat causes the glue to come off? I cannot seem to figure out though how it got pried off so far. The whole gasket was literally pushed off the door frame and you could see the glue and all. Behind the gasket you could see into the cars body and in between the panels. I just can't seem to figure out how the gasket was pushed off the cars body that far especially since this is a internal sealing gasket and on the inside of the car.

After checking this all out I stuck the gasket back on and held it in place tight. It seems to be okay now that things have cooled down. I am worried though because this entire part seems very cheaply made...literally a little bit of rubber against the door holding out the elements...and behind the rubber being body space in the car.

My question is...has anyone else ever had this happen? I did a lot of research and have not seen such a incident arise. Should I be concerned about this? I put the gasket back on now and it all seems fine...but the worries remain.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
3M makes a glue in a tube for this. If it comes off again, use it. I'm sure Walmart sells it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
This has never happened to me on original factory rubber. Has this door been worked on by a body shop?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Someone tried to break in
Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
this would be my guess as well.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
...this was my biggest fear. Already had my car broken into once - they took the whole passenger window and door panel out...Break in was my first guess because the trim was pushed off super far yet the doors were shut. The only thing regarding this idea is there is no outside damage whatsoever.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
This has never happened to me on original factory rubber. Has this door been worked on by a body shop?
I am going to get the recommended 3M glue later today and touch it up. No the door is 100% not touched. All signs point to a failed break in because of how i found the gasket pushed off about 1.5 inches. Although the clear and not damage outside confuses me. I am not a car thief though so maybe they do have tools that can do this.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
As scary as it may sound I think some one tried to break in. But no worries some glue should be able to fix that.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
As scary as it may sound I think some one tried to break in. But no worries some glue should be able to fix that.
That is what I am thinking as well. Nothing but bad luck whenever I go on vacation...can't take the car anywhere without someone breaking in

Unfortunetly the warranty has been up for a little while now so I will just use a bit of glue to touch it up.