#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 04-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
weslp00

Drives: '18 2SSM6 Camaro ‘01C5Z06 Vet
New Goodridge lines

Guys, need some help please.
Trying to install a set of Goodridge SS lines on my ‘18 SS.
Not got very far as I have an issue.
So I started on the rear and disconnected a rear hard line and rubber calliper line. Pulled the clip and removed the rubber calliper line.
Then I try to start the Goodridge fitting on the hard line tube nut and all goes well but the tube nut gets tighter before the hard line flare bottoms out in the fitting!
Not saying it won’t go further but are you supposed to wrench on these things to finish the install? The oem rubber line comes apart easy.
Threads are M10 x 1 as far as I’m aware so no mis matches there.
I just don’t wanna mess up the hard line tube nut as I have heard they are a bitch to renew.
Any ideas where I’m going wrong bow:
weslp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:50 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Sounds like it might be starting to cross thread. When I installed mine I had to leave the clip out so I could get the right angle and screw it in by hand. You should not need a wrench until it's about seated, I'd check the threads and make sure it's aligned .
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 01:26 AM   #3
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Sounds like it might be starting to cross thread. When I installed mine I had to leave the clip out so I could get the right angle and screw it in by hand. You should not need a wrench until it's about seated, I'd check the threads and make sure it's aligned .
Thanks for the reply Baddawg.
I hear you about finding the angle without the clip and starting by hand.
The issue is that the tube nut goes in ok by hand but goes tight before the brake tube flare hits the seat. Am I nearly there? Maybe one more turn?
I checked if I messed up by re installing the OE rubber line and it goes back fine.
I believe the tube nut threads are M10 x 1. But I am doubting that as I tried to run a standard M10 x 1 nut up it and it wouldnt engage.
Still confused.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:19 AM   #4
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
So ironically enough, I have goodridge lines on my zl1 (ordered 3 years ago), fit with 0 issues, went right on.

As of late, we have ordered 2 pairs of goodridge lines, and they have an issue where the threads bottom out before the flared taper actually seats, so there must have been a bad batch of them at some point with manufacturing defects.

I'd give them a call
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
So ironically enough, I have goodridge lines on my zl1 (ordered 3 years ago), fit with 0 issues, went right on.

As of late, we have ordered 2 pairs of goodridge lines, and they have an issue where the threads bottom out before the flared taper actually seats, so there must have been a bad batch of them at some point with manufacturing defects.

I'd give them a call
Thanks for that Katech.
Today I managed to get an inverted flare to -3 adapter on the tube nut and it wasn’t easy but went on with a wrench just fine. So those Goodridge crimped lines could be an issue!
I will check the thread depth..
Old 05-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #6
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
It's not a Goodridge issue. I bought Speigler lines and had trouble with both rear flare nuts. Unless the GR and Speiglers are manufactured by the same facility. I got one to go ok with just a little bit of resistance. I confirmed the threads were ok on that one but the other one had that feeling of impending cross threading. I removed the OE flare nut and installed a new one and all was good. 2022 SS 1LE
Old 05-01-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
no issues with mine but i had a shop install them lol i dont trust myself
Old 05-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
It's not a Goodridge issue. I bought Speigler lines and had trouble with both rear flare nuts. Unless the GR and Speiglers are manufactured by the same facility. I got one to go ok with just a little bit of resistance. I confirmed the threads were ok on that one but the other one had that feeling of impending cross threading. I removed the OE flare nut and installed a new one and all was good. 2022 SS 1LE
Ye I hear you on that man..it’s like impending doom! Am I cross threading this or what! But all of a sudden it bottoms out.
Hey but I haven’t finished …..gotta do the fronts yet..ouch.
Could it be a case of the factory over torquing those brake line nuts just a lil bit and distorting the threads? And not a fault of the after market stuff!
What sort of a bitch is it to change the tube nut on the flare?
Old 05-01-2023, 12:19 PM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslp00 View Post
Ye I hear you on that man..it’s like impending doom! Am I cross threading this or what! But all of a sudden it bottoms out.
Hey but I haven’t finished …..gotta do the fronts yet..ouch.
Could it be a case of the factory over torquing those brake line nuts just a lil bit and distorting the threads? And not a fault of the after market stuff!
What sort of a bitch is it to change the tube nut on the flare?
Haha, yeah, worst feeling in the world. Mine was tight right off the bat so I didn't go further to mess things up. I've been wrenching on cars and in industry for many decades so I didn't sweat it with changing the flare nut. Not much room to make the new flare but it was doable. I bought a new GM flare nut right from the dealer and went on the Spiegler with zero issue.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:58 PM   #10
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Haha, yeah, worst feeling in the world. Mine was tight right off the bat so I didn't go further to mess things up. I've been wrenching on cars and in industry for many decades so I didn't sweat it with changing the flare nut. Not much room to make the new flare but it was doable. I bought a new GM flare nut right from the dealer and went on the Spiegler with zero issue.
Well I’m gonna try and use the rest of the pre crimpted Goodridge stuff on the front. Any issues I will try for another vendor. Don’t fancy wrecking those tube nuts
Weird how you get to feel that moment on a bad threat when it’s gonna get stuck with no return.. ouch!
Will let you know when and if it all goes good!
Old 05-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #11
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I had this same thing happen on the extended rear brake line from the lift kit on my old Jeep Wagoneer. The seller said the solution was a small copper washer that fit into the flare fitting. I never got the washer and never installed the line, it's still in my tool box where I put it 20 yrs ago.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
I had this same thing happen on the extended rear brake line from the lift kit on my old Jeep Wagoneer. The seller said the solution was a small copper washer that fit into the flare fitting. I never got the washer and never installed the line, it's still in my tool box where I put it 20 yrs ago.
Hey thats a good idea.. and way to avoid the problem. Just leave it all in the box and forget about it!
No way!.. Im gonna finish up at the weekend and see what happens
Old 05-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #13
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslp00 View Post
Hey thats a good idea.. and way to avoid the problem. Just leave it all in the box and forget about it!
No way!.. Im gonna finish up at the weekend and see what happens
My point was that Goodridge's solution was to install a small copper washer inside the flare, but I could not comment on the effectiveness of it because I didn't do it. It just gives you another avenue to pursue.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #14
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
My point was that Goodridge's solution was to install a small copper washer inside the flare, but I could not comment on the effectiveness of it because I didn't do it. It just gives you another avenue to pursue.
Thanks for the heads up easttxss.. I am all ears with advice. I will bear that in mind about the cone washer. That does make sense as a repair for a flare seat.
See how I get on when I finish tomorrow..hopefully weather permitting!