Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2021, 04:51 AM   #1
weslp00

Drives: '18 2SSM6 Camaro ‘01C5Z06 Vet
Cold Air Induction by CAI

Guys,
I know its been done like a million times but has anyone given any consideration to that AC line that has to be pushed out of the way by the air intake tube from filter to throttle body.
I just installed mine and was thinkng that that arrangement is gonna stress that alluninum pipe and hose..even the piece of rubber that GM provide in there isnt gonna do much.

Thoughts?
weslp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I'm sure it will be fine, GM sells the same kit and warranties it. I doubt GM would rebrand and sell the kit if it hurt the car.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Didn't really push it on my CAI, barely grazes it.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Mine definitely hits the pipe. I gently pushed it so it's not hard on it. I'm surprised they even designed it that way. You'd think their initial testing woulda caught that and a slight redesign could have fixed it.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
weslp00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Mine definitely hits the pipe. I gently pushed it so it's not hard on it. I'm surprised they even designed it that way. You'd think their initial testing woulda caught that and a slight redesign could have fixed it.
Did you physically bend it or just push it out of the way when you fitted the elbow?
Ye exactly my point..I also would have thought that to be an easy fix when they designed it.
it kinda gets pushed out the way when you fit the silicon elbow
I didn’t want to go leaning on it too hard in case I kinked it so there is deffo some pressure on it.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
weslp00

Quote:
Fixed it..undid the hose clamps and reset the joint with the elbow and maf tube..barley touches
Old 05-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #7
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslp00 View Post
Fixed it..undid the hose clamps and reset the joint with the elbow and maf tube..barley touches
I'll have to look into that, I just gently bent it so it barely hits, was kinda nervous to put too much pressure on it.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:47 AM   #8
weslp00

Quote:
I'll have to look into that, I just gently bent it so it barely hits, was kinda nervous to put too much pressure on it.
Ye if you undo the one clamp on the silicon elbow and maf tube, twist the joint so they are not stuck together it is possibly separate the two a bit but only at the top if you see my meaning.
Basically introduce a 1 or 2 degree angle so its not dead straight.
That lift is enough to take most of the pressure of that ac line. Its the crimp joint that is causing the problem because of its diameter.
Some cars have more of a problem that others because those ac lines are probably slightly different from car to car. Ive seen that before when buying spare lines in the past. Not quite the same as the take off.
Give it a go , worked for me. Just tested it ..
Dont forget to tighten the band clamp..