Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
norty717

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Black/Black
How do I wire 3 DVC subs with 2 Amps?

I looked around but I couldn't find any info on how to wire 2 Amps with 3 DVC Subs. Is that even possible? Thanks in advance educating me on what I can and can't do.
norty717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
CamaroGeek

Drives: 2010
What amps are you using, and what subs are you using? You want to set up the subs to provide a load withing the amp's rating. You will have 6 available loads, so you could go wild with series/parallel combinations....

I'm guessing that driving a single DVC sub with two amps would be a little dicey - anybody want to chime in on that?
CamaroGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
bridge the amps, make em as one
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGeek View Post
What amps are you using, and what subs are you using? You want to set up the subs to provide a load withing the amp's rating. You will have 6 available loads, so you could go wild with series/parallel combinations....

I'm guessing that driving a single DVC sub with two amps would be a little dicey - anybody want to chime in on that?
Geek's got it right. 6 loads. Regardless of the serial/ parallel combinations possible, I would suggest balancing the loads between your amps - 3 voice coils per amp.

The serial/parallel question boils down to how stable your amps are at low amp loads. 1 ohm stable? 2 ohm? Let this be your guide to answer the series/ parallel question.

Theoretically, amps shouldn't care where each VC is located... i.e. two within each driver, or 1 per driver. If I were doing this, I would first try running VC#1 of each driver from amp #1, and VC#2 from amp#2, then test it at low volume. Increase the volume slowly over a period of days. Looking for overheating VCs and amp stability. Ensuring correct POLARITY is critical otherwise the amps will be working against each other and you'll release the magic blue smoke.
USNSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote