Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Small crack in my paint..! Need help. (my fault)

So I noticed yesterday that there was a small crack on the hood. I was changing the bulbs and I left the cap the covers the housing under the hood and closed it without putting it back on and it caused this. The crack came from underneath and pushed up in to the hood. It's pretty small and can't tell unless you're looking for it. Is this something that can be fixed without having the entire hood repainted, etc..? Ive got a picture from my phone I just need to upload it. Im short on cash but want to get it foxed i just dont want to run the risk of it getting worse before i can. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..!
Thanks.

UPDATE : The first pic is to show how big this is. Not very big at all...

And another one...

Last edited by Switchin2Chevy; 01-16-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Switchin2Chevy

bump
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
soory to here it.....but as you stated, its cracked, and the pressure was from the bottom, so what you see in under the clear coat.....I hate to sey it.....but I think your only option would be to have it repainted, and if your stripes are vinyl.....you will be buying another set of those too after your paint job.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Switchin2Chevy

Thats what i was affraid of. The stripes are painted on. Is there a possibilty of it getting worse, rust, etc..? The part of FL., that I live in the weather really jumps up and down and I'm sure that can have some kind of effect on this crack..
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Thats what i was affraid of. The stripes are painted on. Is there a possibilty of it getting worse, rust, etc..? The part of FL., that I live in the weather really jumps up and down and I'm sure that can have some kind of effect on this crack..
there is NO WAY it can rust.....our hoods are aluminum.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
Unfortunately if it cracked the basecoat, it probably also either damaged or cracked the clearcoat. If that happened, water can get under it and cause all of the clear to lift/peel, and also the sun drying out the clear, which is inevitable, will probably cause the clear to flake off. Sorry to break it to you but probably going to need a repaint.
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Switchin2Chevy

Thank you for the input. That's what I was thinking as well. Really bad timing, my wife and I are expecting our first child. So of course I want to get it fixed but the wife's not having it! Looks like I'll be making some calls to see what can be done..
Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
Put some paste car wax on it and it will keep water from getting under the paint until you can get it repainted.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mth35115 View Post
Put some paste car wax on it and it will keep water from getting under the paint until you can get it repainted.
No.

If the clear is cracked (most likely it is) then the paste will get underneath and cause worse damage faster then leaving it alone would.

OP; you need to get this fixed now. If left alone it will spread and cost you a couple thousand to repaint the whole hood. If fixed asap, a good painter can just sand down the damage and immediate area and fix it for a few hundred.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Switchin2Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
No.

If the clear is cracked (most likely it is) then the paste will get underneath and cause worse damage faster then leaving it alone would.

OP; you need to get this fixed now. If left alone it will spread and cost you a couple thousand to repaint the whole hood. If fixed asap, a good painter can just sand down the damage and immediate area and fix it for a few hundred.
Thanks.! I just saw this yesterday and hadnt realized I had done it. I'll get on the phone tomorrow and ask around.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
If you don't mind a minor blem you could just lightly dab on some clear coat over the cracks and that will keep the paint from chipping off.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Switchin2Chevy

Midnighter-thats a good though also..
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
If you don't mind a minor blem you could just lightly dab on some clear coat over the cracks and that will keep the paint from chipping off.
Unfortunately it won't and if not done right, it will only cause a "minor blemish" to become much worse. It takes clear coat several hours to dry and during that time dirt, debris, and who knows what else will land on the clear and turn it brown. So instead of the current blemish, you now have a nice, big brown spot that sticks out like a sore thumb on your car.

You have to remember the damage done is underneath and anything and everything you do on the surface will not help nor prevent the cracked paint underneath from spreading and lifting up.

I found all this out first hand the hard way on my 4th gen .
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Switchin2Chevy

Alright so I found a shop out in town that emailed me a quote of 250 to fix the crack and would only need the car for 2 days. I went to meet the guy and see the shop and got a quote in writing and the price changed.....to $185.