Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
2015 REAR DIFF RECALL?

I have a 2015 ZL1 and I have been having trouble with the rear end on my car. When I was driving it I started to pass a car and mashed on it and the car went hard right and almost put me in the side of the car I was passing. Scared the crap out of me at 65 mph. I had noticed several other times under acceleration the car was going to the right. I thought the car needed aligned so I had that done but that did not help. So I thought maybe the rear diff fluid was not changed so when it was draining the oil out some pieces of junk came out with the oil. It looked like real small pieces of hard material and we could not figure out what it was. I went to GM recalls on the net and I find that GM has a recall because the roll pins inside the diff will fracture. I believe now what came out with the oil was that,pieces of roll pins. The recall states they will replace not repair the rear end with a complete new one. Has anyone had this problem? If so did GM replace it?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Bigtime53

Update: I first saw on gm authority the recall had the 2014-2015 ZL1 in this recall but after digging more it said it affected the 2014-2015 CTS-V and not the Camaro. So are the rear diffs the same? Anyone know?
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Sounds like an alignment issue to me. Have a certified gm dealer look at the alignment for you.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
brick59
Sucker Punch

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1, 2007 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Update: I first saw on gm authority the recall had the 2014-2015 ZL1 in this recall but after digging more it said it affected the 2014-2015 CTS-V and not the Camaro. So are the rear diffs the same? Anyone know?
They are different, the CTS-V guys have had a lot of trouble with breaking there diffs when they started to up the power on the LSA we have had very little trouble ours seams to be a lot stronger.
427 Dart SHP Pro LS Block, Callies Magnum Crank, Callies Ultra I Beam Rods, Diamond Pistons, AGP twin Turbos 6865, Mast heads, Cam Motion LLR cam, Morel tie bar lifters, Crower roller rockers, NW 103MM TB, ID2600 XDS, Fore Triple, DSX, E85, ARH Turbo Headers, Corsa, Jakes stage 5 4L80, Circle D, RPM Roll Bar, BMR, Carlyle Racing 15" conversion kit.
brick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ27 View Post
Sounds like an alignment issue to me. Have a certified gm dealer look at the alignment for you.
Already have done that twice.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Some details you may want to mention: How many miles on vehicle? Auto or manual transmission? Any previous suspension mods? Does it do it in all traction control settings? Traction control off, smoke show from both rears during burn-out attempt? Tire pressure and condition are also important but I'm sure you've already checked. I re-read your post, it almost sounds as if one rear tire is breaking loose under hard acceleration. There are some sharp folks on this forum, a little more info might get their brain gears spinning.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
I’ve heard the ***** magnet on the ZL1 can activate while under heavy acceleration under the right circumstances. There is a service bulletin on it.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:54 AM   #8
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro__ss View Post
I’ve heard the ***** magnet on the ZL1 can activate while under heavy acceleration under the right circumstances. There is a service bulletin on it.

What are you saying here? Magnet? You got to give me more info please. This car is driving us crazy trying to figure out what is going on. Thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #9
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Some details you may want to mention: How many miles on vehicle? Auto or manual transmission? Any previous suspension mods? Does it do it in all traction control settings? Traction control off, smoke show from both rears during burn-out attempt? Tire pressure and condition are also important but I'm sure you've already checked. I re-read your post, it almost sounds as if one rear tire is breaking loose under hard acceleration. There are some sharp folks on this forum, a little more info might get their brain gears spinning.
1-Automatic
2-No suspension mods
3-Traction control settings yes but I did not try with all of the nannies off-to scared to
4-Never tried a smoke show
5-Tire pressure each was the same pressure
6-New tires
7-Forgot 24000 miles
I have changed the fluid [3 times]and have followed GM guide lines also and it still does it. It will make a right turn at 70mph if you mat the gas pedal and scares the crap out of you. It will do it at 30mph to doesnt seem to make a difference what speed. Tires i believe are sticking and not spinning as it does not fish tail it just goes hard right. We have checked all the bolts looked at the cradle bushings closely and all of the control arm bushings and all looks well. I may have to drop the cradle to further inspect but if that is all ok then I do not know what to do next. Someone above said something about a magnet but I do not know what he is referring to. I think he is talking about the mag ride?
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
1-Automatic
2-No suspension mods
3-Traction control settings yes but I did not try with all of the nannies off-to scared to
4-Never tried a smoke show
5-Tire pressure each was the same pressure
6-New tires
7-Forgot 24000 miles
I have changed the fluid [3 times]and have followed GM guide lines also and it still does it. It will make a right turn at 70mph if you mat the gas pedal and scares the crap out of you. It will do it at 30mph to doesnt seem to make a difference what speed. Tires i believe are sticking and not spinning as it does not fish tail it just goes hard right. We have checked all the bolts looked at the cradle bushings closely and all of the control arm bushings and all looks well. I may have to drop the cradle to further inspect but if that is all ok then I do not know what to do next. Someone above said something about a magnet but I do not know what he is referring to. I think he is talking about the mag ride?

Some quick thoughts, if the rear is causing the car to steer to the right under accell its basic issue is the left wheel is getting more traction than the right. You said you have checked all the suspension and alignment so even though no one can verify that, one can only assume it is done correct since both of those concerns could cause uneven loading. PSI to a half pound also can change traction, along with tire wear. Do a tread check.. Also do a date check if you are not the original owner to make sure you don't have a old tire going hard on the right. If you are not the original owner I was also measure the rear tire heights and compare.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Never heard of this, but I have a manual. I have the typical decel whine, but otherwise the car drives great. Not bothering mine; I haven't had the pulling to one side.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm curious as to what "magnet" the individual is referring to. If it is Mag Ride related than experimenting with the traction control settings may expose the source of the problem. I would think a code would be tripped but maybe not. Scroll on down a few posts and read "Mag Ride...is it working." A good discussion of ride perception with different settings. Grasping at straws here, wish I could help more.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Never heard of this, but I have a manual. I have the typical decel whine, but otherwise the car drives great. Not bothering mine; I haven't had the pulling to one side.

Mine has always pulled at shifts at least 1st and 2nd, but I am not at standard RWHP. I have just learn to manage it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Mine drives great and only gets sideways when expecting it to. I still think this is an alignment issue and not a rear diff issue. I had the same rear end whine when I bought the car used with 6k on it and the dealership replaced the whole center housing gears and all. But it never pulled under acceleration.