Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

View Poll Results: What rotors do you have on your car?
Still the stock ones with no problems 23 41.07%
Still the stock ones with problems 5 8.93%
DBA 5 8.93%
EBC 2 3.57%
Power Slot 1 1.79%
Baer 1 1.79%
Stop Tech 1 1.79%
Brembo Rotors 6 10.71%
other 13 23.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #29
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2ss View Post
I don't understand why noone else has stillen slotted/drilled with ceramic brake pads.

Love mine
I see a lot of ceramic pads out on the market and they look much smaller, what's the deal? Can you use ceramic pads with the stock calipers?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #30
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I'm running R1 Concepts on mine their awesome!! and customer service is top notch.

I've had them for a little over a year now and they still run perfect. It creates more brake dust tho.

If your in to road racing and autocross this would totally be a good upgrade. it really helps cool the brakes faster and gives her a little more stopping power.

And I get a lot of compliments from it.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #31
M-SS

Drives: Camaro SS 2010
[QUOTE=Silver2SSRS6spd;3742243]I see a lot of ceramic pads out on the market and they look much smaller, what's the deal? Can you use ceramic pads with the stock calipers?[/QU

have seen posts here people using ceramic pads with the stock calipers ! search

pls let me know how ceramic pads and the DB rotors performance wise and squealing issues !! thinking to buy

M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #32
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Are you guys swapping out both front and rear rotors? I see a lot of kits for jsut front wheels only. Is this ok or will upset the balance?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I'm considering upgrading to slotted rotors too. Does any company make 2-piece front and rear rotors, or is this over kill??
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #34
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Are you guys swapping out both front and rear rotors? I see a lot of kits for jsut front wheels only. Is this ok or will upset the balance?
I just ordered the rears today, I will be swapping both front and rears. I still need to figure out what pads to go with.

You do not have to do both front and back at the same time, the fronts are more important and do more of the braking so I would do those first.

The pads for these cars are not cheap, looks like I will limit myself to $150 an axle for the first set. I'm worried about having enough time to seat and get used to them before my final auto-x for the year in a few weeks.

I'm already starting to regret going with the dimples, should have gone with just plain slots from what I have been reading. I have read that full on cross drilled rotors are a bad idea since they tend to have stress cracks, I need to look closely on the ones on my truck to see if that's the case even though that car doesn't get driven as hard as the Camaro.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post

The Racing Brake 2 piece open slot rotors are about as good as they get for our stock calipers. Two piece construction to save on weight, open slots for cooling and self cleaning. But they come at a price too.
What is the total weight savings? Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #36
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
My slotted brakes got installed today but the car still needs an alignment so I couldn't take it.

Picking it up tomorrow at lunch - I can't wait to feel the difference with the brakes and suspension pack. The mechanic said it really sticks to the street now.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #37
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
I see a lot of ceramic pads out on the market and they look much smaller, what's the deal? Can you use ceramic pads with the stock calipers?
My Hawk Ceramic pads ...with Granatelli Drilled and sloted rotors....and yes stock rotors...Very Low dust LOVE them...!!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #38
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyg1rl View Post
My slotted brakes got installed today but the car still needs an alignment so I couldn't take it.

Picking it up tomorrow at lunch - I can't wait to feel the difference with the brakes and suspension pack. The mechanic said it really sticks to the street now.
Bring it to the Boston market car show tomooro evening.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #39
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
My Hawk Ceramic pads ...with Granatelli Drilled and sloted rotors....and yes stock rotors...Very Low dust LOVE them...!!
Those rotors look good, I almost bought those.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #40
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
The pads for these cars are not cheap, looks like I will limit myself to $150 an axle for the first set. I'm worried about having enough time to seat and get used to them before my final auto-x for the year in a few weeks.
That budget is all thats needed, really.
If you have several high performance driving situations a year, then I'd probably recommend some Hawk HP Plus pads. They are excellent on the track, but also behave well on the street.
If you'd like something a little less aggressive, then the Hawk HPS Street pads are a great choice. They perform much better than the OEM pads, and have very good street manners.

Give us a call, we can hook you up with either of these for under your budget, to your door!
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #41
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
That budget is all thats needed, really.
If you have several high performance driving situations a year, then I'd probably recommend some Hawk HP Plus pads. They are excellent on the track, but also behave well on the street.
If you'd like something a little less aggressive, then the Hawk HPS Street pads are a great choice. They perform much better than the OEM pads, and have very good street manners.

Give us a call, we can hook you up with either of these for under your budget, to your door!
I run at least one auto-x or 1/4 mile drag a month, no track days yet. Is there a warm up required for the plus pads or will they grip well in everyday normal driving? What about non plus in the back and plus in the front, does that combo work? I want to order pads tonight.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #42
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP

The Racing Brake 2 piece open slot rotors are about as good as they get for our stock calipers. Two piece construction to save on weight, open slots for cooling and self cleaning. But they come at a price too.

What is the total weight savings? Thanks