The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-15-2023, 02:32 AM   #29
bbrriiaann1973

Drives: 1970 Chevy Truck
Not sure why people Hate the new EV performance future. You do realize that it's going to be faster! I bet all of you will be changing your mind when you get left at a light or on the highway. I personally could care less about the impact on the environment. I do like the fact that I could charge at home, considering that I have solar panels on my house.
bbrriiaann1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:53 AM   #30
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
My way of looking at it is this and its going to be unpopular:

1) That Mustang EV Ute is selling well 50k year one and 60k year two and probably 70k plus this year

2) The Camaro has been crashing in sales since 2018 the last year over 50k
even if they sell 3k a month for the rest of the year they would only sell 35k which would be the highest total since 2019(48k) and 2020 (29k)

3)When they did the Blazer the put a very Camaroesque interior in it with a lot of the design looking similar.

4) Mean while the Blazer sold 58k in 2019 its low water mark and 94k in 2020 and are on pace for 75k or more this year

5) People are buying SUV's and Trucks the Camaro is not a practical family vehicle but GM can cash in on the brand equity of the Camaro name and families that would like a Camaro but need a more practical vehicle.

6) Ford survived the backlash from using the Mustang name plate in such a way.

There you have my take on what the General is thinking.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:50 AM   #31
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
GM thought Camaro sales were in a slump, wait until they try selling this hot garbage!
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #32
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
GM thought Camaro sales were in a slump, wait until they try selling this hot garbage!

And there in lies the rub. To those of whohold anti-EV, at least in this segment, views,this is/will be indeed hot garbage. Now, I also imagine you'd agree that strictly ICE powered, performance, car buyers are a niche market, within a niche market.
However, you have to ask yourself one thing, how much potential profit is held by those types of buyers vs those that are not them, the masses, those that only care about what's currently trending, those that buy whatever is currently "in", etc. gm as a company has one job, to maximize profits for itself and its stockholders.
Whether or not, this current move to full EV lineups, by any company, including gm, ends up being a good call or a terrible one, remains to be seen. The next decade will be very telling.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:18 AM   #33
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Not sure why people Hate the new EV performance future. You do realize that it's going to be faster!
There seems to be some very loud anti-EV disinformation, particularly the in US that some people arent questioning because it fits with their existing beliefs.

Im from the UK, and in addition to a 2014 Z28 I own an Audi E-Tron.
Ill happily admit the main reason I bought it was the (heavily subsidised) cost but theres a whole load of other positives too:
Its cheaper to gas up, cheaper to maintain, produces zero emissions where you actually drive it, its fast, silent and when ~50% of UK energy production is renewable its far, far better for the environment than ICE cars.

But here, and on other forums Ive been told every single one of those easily proven facts is false, in addition:
apparently there are constant rolling blackouts all over Europe, EVs arent the best selling cars globally, solar/wind generation is more expensive than fossil fuels, rising energy prices affect EV sales and the rather significant war going on 1500 miles away from here isnt affecting energy prices.
None of that is actually true.

Would I buy an EV Camaro? Absolutely not.
Is my EV a better daily driver than its ICE alternative? If you ignore the disinformation you can certainly make an argument it is.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #34
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
And there in lies the rub. To those of whohold anti-EV, at least in this segment, views,this is/will be indeed hot garbage. Now, I also imagine you'd agree that strictly ICE powered, performance, car buyers are a niche market, within a niche market.
However, you have to ask yourself one thing, how much potential profit is held by those types of buyers vs those that are not them, the masses, those that only care about what's currently trending, those that buy whatever is currently "in", etc. gm as a company has one job, to maximize profits for itself and its stockholders.
Whether or not, this current move to full EV lineups, by any company, including gm, ends up being a good call or a terrible one, remains to be seen. The next decade will be very telling.
Look to Cuba for a preview of the next decade. New cars will increasingly become too expensive for the average income person to purchase.

The demand for used cars will increase and with it their prices. Maintenance of older vehicles will become a much bigger deal and the demand for it will increase exponentially.

The government will seek to regulate maintenance and fueling needs of ICE vehicles with the intent to make it prohibitively expensive to own and operate one.

Increasingly expensive commutes will fall the hardest on those living in the suburbs, while at the same time cities inner cores become more crime ridden and dangerous.

The poor will get poorer and the ultra rich will get ultra richer. The middle class will continue to be priced into lower and lower standards of living.

Think 1984, but worse.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:57 AM   #35
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Look to Cuba for a preview of the next decade. New cars will increasingly become too expensive for the average income person to purchase.

The demand for used cars will increase and with it their prices. Maintenance of older vehicles will become a much bigger deal and the demand for it will increase exponentially.

The government will seek to regulate maintenance and fueling needs of ICE vehicles with the intent to make it prohibitively expensive to own and operate one.

Increasingly expensive commutes will fall the hardest on those living in the suburbs, while at the same time cities inner cores become more crime ridden and dangerous.

The poor will get poorer and the ultra rich will get ultra richer. The middle class will continue to be priced into lower and lower standards of living.

Think 1984, but worse.
You have about 7 points listed as predictions/future-tense. 3 or 4 are already true. The rest are in progess.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #36
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
You have about 7 points listed as predictions/future-tense. 3 or 4 are already true. The rest are in progess.

The sad part is they will all come true
Old 08-16-2023, 02:57 PM   #37
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
But here, and on other forums Ive been told every single one of those easily proven facts is false, in addition:
apparently there are constant rolling blackouts all over Europe, EVs arent the best selling cars globally, solar/wind generation is more expensive than fossil fuels, rising energy prices affect EV sales and the rather significant war going on 1500 miles away from here isnt affecting energy prices.
None of that is actually true.
Great! sounds like EVs are at a point they can sell themselves and displace ICE vehicles on their own merits, without subsidies, government incentives, or regulations driving out competing technologies, then. I totally agree we should pull the plug on trying to force consumers into what is clearly the obvious end state solution.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 03:52 PM   #38
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
Quote:
Not sure why people Hate the new EV performance future.
No romantic exhaust and gear shifting are main reasons why people not acceptable performance EV.

Battery weight, cooling, and density can be solved but still need time.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:38 PM   #39
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Not sure why people Hate the new EV performance future. You do realize that it's going to be faster! I bet all of you will be changing your mind when you get left at a light or on the highway. I personally could care less about the impact on the environment. I do like the fact that I could charge at home, considering that I have solar panels on my house.
If you believe all that matters is "going fast" then you'll never get it and it's not worth trying to explain.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:45 PM   #40

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
If you believe all that matters is "going fast" then you'll never get it and it's not worth trying to explain.
The EVangelist's go to ha-ha-ha on ICE fans is the over-played "faster" 0-60 times. It's their big ace-in-the-hole factoid that leaves them all baffled as to why everyone is not ga-ga about EVs being some muscle car replacement.

I'm happy for them having this EV exclusive feature. If they think it settles some debate of which type is better, EV or ICE, g-head have at it.

But like you say, for everything else in comparison, they just won't and don't get it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:43 AM   #41
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The EVangelist's go to ha-ha-ha on ICE fans is the over-played "faster" 0-60 times. It's their big ace-in-the-hole factoid that leaves them all baffled as to why everyone is not ga-ga about EVs being some muscle car replacement.

I'm happy for them having this EV exclusive feature. If they think it settles some debate of which type is better, EV or ICE, g-head have at it.

But like you say, for everything else in comparison, they just won't and don't get it.

The thing they also fail to mention is the "hero runs" are usually one and done.

When the batteries and motors heat up the performance falls off dramatically.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:06 AM   #42
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
The thing they also fail to mention is the "hero runs" are usually one and done.

When the batteries and motors heat up the performance falls off dramatically.
Don't forget the opposite about temperature is also true for EV. When it gets "ICE" cold outside, how far you going to go in the snow? Right now, they don't have that all figured out.

Electricity prices go up, and people start whining. Just wait. Without adding to our current and very poor electrical grid infrastructure, all these new add on cars are going to put a strain on what's already strained, and price WILL GO UP. Mark it on your calendar.

There's going to be a time when we'll look back fondly on history and say remember when our electricity bill was only $200 per month? I think it's going to cost just as much per mile or more than an ICE car. Regardless of subsidies, because someone's paying those (taxpayers) and that has to be factored in.

I simply find it interesting that with all the tax breaks and subsidies, they STILL can't expand the demand of EVs. "We're ramping up production"...so what? Build more to add to a sea of lot lizards that aren't flying off the lots. Bud Light has a better chance of selling in some geographical areas.

Someone with good intentions wanted it to happen, but policy-makers had no idea how to bring it to fruition and have it be organic in demand. So far, that hasn't happened. Technology will catch up one day where it might be feasible, but not today.

And most amazing is the arbitrary dates all this is supposed to happen. By 2035, cars must...blah blah blah. Shut the f up, politicians.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote