Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Disabled mine with a handheld tuner the first week I had the car. It was awful and has no place on a muscle car. All you need to do is to change the parameters on the stock tune, so even though you're technically reflashing the ECM, you're reflashing it with the stock tune (modified to disable the AFM). If your flash counter reads "1," and the stock tune is in the ECM, then obviously the stock tune was replaced with the modified stock tune. According to my service manager, this will not void your warranty. All you've done is disable the AFM in the stock tune, and it will be obvious to anyone with a brain that you haven't increased the demands on the power train.

That said, I recently got a dyno tune, so my power train warranty is shot now. I finally decided after 30,000 miles that the benefits of the tune outweighed the risk of losing the warranty.

And I still get 26 mpg on the highway.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Disabled mine with a handheld tuner the first week I had the car. It was awful and has no place on a muscle car. All you need to do is to change the parameters on the stock tune, so even though you're technically reflashing the ECM, you're reflashing it with the stock tune (modified to disable the AFM). If your flash counter reads "1," and the stock tune is in the ECM, then obviously the stock tune was replaced with the modified stock tune. According to my service manager, this will not void your warranty. All you've done is disable the AFM in the stock tune, and it will be obvious to anyone with a brain that you haven't increased the demands on the power train.

That said, I recently got a dyno tune, so my power train warranty is shot now. I finally decided after 30,000 miles that the benefits of the tune outweighed the risk of losing the warranty.

And I still get 26 mpg on the highway.
This WILL void your warranty... If I were you I'd make sure I took it back to your service manager... others might not be so mod friendly...
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This WILL void your warranty... If I were you I'd make sure I took it back to your service manager... others might not be so mod friendly...
My bad. I guess the service manager is a liar (which is entirely possible, I guess).
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #18
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Of course, he could also just be wrong.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

On the other hand, he might just be telling the truth. After all, he does run the service department.

Either way, the AFM still has to go if you want to enjoy driving your car.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Reading your post more carefully now, I guess your point is that other dealerships might not honor the warranty.

That may be true, but GM makes the ultimate call on that unless the dealer eats the cost himself.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Reading your post more carefully now, I guess your point is that other dealerships might not honor the warranty.

That may be true, but GM makes the ultimate call on that unless the dealer eats the cost himself.
My point is you may have a cool service manager that is simply using a common sense approach to this issue. If he doesn't flag your car for being tuned then good for you... but just didn't want others to think they could get away with it too because it does technically void your warranty. There are many many threads on it here. If you have a hand held I would flash it back to stock before taking it in, but even this can still be detected, if they take the time to look.

I took it a step further and got rid of the crappy AFM lifters too.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
OOPS!! I see this is a popular question, got my answer on another thread. Seems that the dealers are not into turning it off, and I'm pretty much stuck with it or a permanent message stored that it has been "tuned" thus voiding the PT warranty. Soon as I can it will be traded in for a manual. I cannot believe I let my wife talk me into a freakin auto. Never again. :(
Try running around in M. When tap shifting, mine never activated when I still had it...
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
...I took it a step further and got rid of the crappy AFM lifters too.
I need to do this next. Now that I have the dyno tune, the warranty is a non-issue.

Quote:
If you have a hand held I would flash it back to stock before taking it in, but even this can still be detected, if they take the time to look.
I don't think my conscience would allow me to flash it back to stock anyway. That's why I talked to them up front before I tuned out the AFM. But your point is well taken.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Try running around in M. When tap shifting, mine never activated when I still had it...
I feel the OP's pain on this one. You shouldn't have to drive the car with the tap shifters to avoid the AFM. Even though that's the way I usually drive it, we should be able to put it in Drive or Sport Mode and not be subjected to that AFM nonsense.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
I feel the OP's pain on this one. You shouldn't have to drive the car with the tap shifters to avoid the AFM. Even though that's the way I usually drive it, we should be able to put it in Drive or Sport Mode and not be subjected to that AFM nonsense.
Well it would be nice, but it's all about that CAFE rating that GM is chasing. They need every last MPG so they can continue to sell the less efficient cars and not get tagged with the gas guzzler taxes that they would then pass on to us....