The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Previews 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV, Announces 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV

Chevrolet Previews Equinox EV
Equinox EV builds on Chevy’s commitment to provide a wide range of EV options
General Motors

January 5, 2022

DETROIT – Chevrolet will expand its EV lineup in fall 2023 to include the Equinox EV, an affordable, functional compact SUV that will start at an estimated MSRP of around $30,000 in the U.S. The Equinox EV, which will be launched with both fleet and retail versions, including LT and RS trims, will leverage GM’s Ultium Platform.

“The Equinox has always played an important role for Chevrolet as the second-highest selling brand nameplate,” said Steve Hill, Chevrolet vice president. “Providing an affordable EV option in the industry’s highest volume segment proves Chevy is going to make EVs available to everyone.”

The announcement of the Equinox EV comes on the heels of Chevy’s reveal of the 2024 Silverado EV and confirmation of the Blazer EV SUV, which will be available in spring 2023.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 01-05-2022 at 03:14 PM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65

I know everyone's going ga-ga over Silverado EV right now but IMO this is just as impressive. At $30k it'll put a lot of people behind the wheel of an EV.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
$30K is a very good price especially if able to accept 250 kw fast charging, etc.

If fast charging is limited to 100 kw or less as a lot of the more affordable EV's, it may not make people comfortable yet with the famous road trip concern. Or has a hilarious bad charging curve as the Mach E.....
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
Make sense, next gen Camaro will be named Camaro EV in future.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:08 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
$30K is a very good price especially if able to accept 250 kw fast charging, etc.

If fast charging is limited to 100 kw or less as a lot of the more affordable EV's, it may not make people comfortable yet with the famous road trip concern. Or has a hilarious bad charging curve as the Mach E.....

Someone over on GMI made a good point with how GM has gotten charging down to 100 miles in 10 minutes. Until we get fast charging on par with gasoline refueling, on an average daily basis most people are going to go to public fast charging stations solely to get enough charge to get back to whatever "home base" charger they use for a full charge. It'll be a big shift in the way we refuel for now.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:01 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65

Noticed this blurb on the Equinox consumer page:

Quote:
Get ready as Chevy’s top-selling SUV changes the game in a way never done before with the First-Ever All-Electric Equinox – built from the ground up to harness the power of Ultium. Equinox EV LT starting MSRP around $30,000. Availability for the LT will be announced at a later date. RS available Fall 2023. Pricing for the RS to be announced at a later date. More info coming soon.

Current gen Equinox LT starts at $29,695.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:05 PM   #7
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Someone over on GMI made a good point with how GM has gotten charging down to 100 miles in 10 minutes. Until we get fast charging on par with gasoline refueling, on an average daily basis most people are going to go to public fast charging stations solely to get enough charge to get back to whatever "home base" charger they use for a full charge. It'll be a big shift in the way we refuel for now.
It's definitely a different mindset.

95% of the time, you will be charging at home. This is naturally the cheapest way to charge the vehicle. It cost $37 to charge my Model 3 to go 1120 miles since all my charging has been done at home. You also don't charge an EV to 100% all the time( with some exceptions like if the EV has an LFP battery).

And yes if you do road trip with an EV, you recharge to the point to get you to the next charger or your destination to be able to recharge there. 100 miles in 10 minutes is not new. Tesla's already can do that or even better. The issue and my point is, GM needs to do that in this $30,000 Equinox too. A lot of the EV's that can take fast charging above 150 kw are reserved for the Tesla's and other pricey EV's. The cheap EV's are usually limited to 150 kw AT BEST and seem to be more around the 75-100 kw max at fast chargers.

There are a few more roadblocks to EV adoption. Home charging at apartments/condo's, more fast chargers for road trips, etc. I don't think charge time is necessarily a big hurdle. Because as stated, you only recharge what you used on the commute that day. And for road trips, yeah right now Tesla at least claims one can get 200 miles in 15 minutes at their supercharger( for the Model S I believe). But if that 15 minutes can add 350 miles of range instead, that hurdle may be cleared if that 15 minutes can take you farther. Plus at 350 miles, that is roughly a 5 hour drive. You're stopping one way or the other at that point most likely on a road trip.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #8
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I'll be interested in the launch. The wife will need a new SUV by then. This would make sense for her limited commute and given it won't be a single car household. If the launch Lyriq is 60k, they can't launch an Equinox (Premier/RS) at 60+ right?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'll be interested in the launch. The wife will need a new SUV by then. This would make sense for her limited commute and given it won't be a single car household. If the launch Lyriq is 60k, they can't launch an Equinox (Premier/RS) at 60+ right?
I wouldn't imagine it would go that high. Agree.

But depends on the battery configurations and motor options. Will the RS have the same battery pack as the LT? Will it have two motors? Or maybe just a different motor?

If the drivetrain is exactly the same across the lineup, then I'd say the Equinox...even the RS may not be much more than the current top end Equinox trims. But as we've seen now, if the top trims include a bigger battery, that typically means a much bigger price.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Looks OK which is a compliment. I'm glad EV styling has gone away from it has to look weird so people know the powertrain is different.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #11
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Although not interested in as a buyer, loaded up it looks good. Obviously they lose on the $30k sale and make up for the losses on the optioned ones. If a loaded BOLT is $38k, the loaded ones I think will in the $45k range.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Not bad looking, interior looks great.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65

For those of y'all apprehensive about EVs, spy photos would suggest the ICE model will look pretty similar.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
No sold out fully loaded hi-end First Edition Equinox?...lol

I hope 30K isn't the best they can do or that a bare-bones SUV is the only "low cost" model offered.

I think EVs would enjoy a tremendous boost if not every new offering was years away, sold out already, and in the 100K range. A truly economy model (VW Bug type offering) would be very popular if the price was right.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote