The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #29
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Some quick takes.

I agree they should have called it Avalanche.

the range is super impressive, as are the capabilities. They really knocked it out of the park there.

And that interior I have to say is absolutely stunning. It's gorgeous.

That said, its still ugly as sin and the work truck yuck. It almost makes the Silverado good looking haha. Trying to remember the specs on the F-150 Lightning, looks like GM has it beat in a ton of areas if not all. Only spot the F-150 beats it in is styling, and looking like a normal truck. I just don't get why EV's have to have that exaggerated styling
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #30
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You might find a lot of truck users won't want to buy something that needs to go halfway into the cabin and eliminate two rear seats to carry cargo. A full size truck should carry cargo without all the complexity and cost of a pass-thru Avalanche system. The interior will pay a price if used for truck purposes. With that back open, it's noisy, dusty, open to the elements. All fun on nice sunny days, but...

I would ask, then why did GM quit making Avalanches?
Combination of manufacturing cost and change in leadership of the FST platform.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #31
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well, I just watched pretty much the entire presentation. Got lost when they started talking about the Cadillac concepts that will pick you up and then fly you to your destination.

So I wonder what the base model with the 400+ range will cost. I'm guessing it will be in that 50 - 60K range. The $39,900 model they announced (work truck) was stated that it would have lower range.

I'm also interested to hear about this future "Max Tow" model that will tow up to 20,000 lbs. They said it would be a future release.

Well, I'm torn. This thing is most definitely an Avalanche rebirth. The bed and storage configurations are pretty great, and as Martinjlm stated, what can a truck do that an Avalanche style truck can't do? Well, I don't know. But I think Ford may still have an edge in winning over buyers simply because their truck doesn't really look like an EV. Look I get why the Silverado EV looks like it does...at least a major part of that is due to wind drag which I'd bet is much better than the Ford. But looks win people over, and this thing, as cool as it is, may have trouble converting some folks. I think the Silverado EV needs to loose those side curtains, and it needs to do it in a hurry.

I think it is the better truck EV when compared to the Lightning. The screens in the interior are sweet and all, but I was not impressed with the dash design. I think the new 2022 Silverado and Sierra do it better.

Overall great job GM.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #32
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Well, I just watched pretty much the entire presentation. Got lost when they started talking about the Cadillac concepts that will pick you up and then fly you to your destination.

So I wonder what the base model with the 400+ range will cost. I'm guessing it will be in that 50 - 60K range. The $39,900 model they announced (work truck) was stated that it would have lower range.

I'm also interested to hear about this future "Max Tow" model that will tow up to 20,000 lbs. They said it would be a future release.

Well, I'm torn. This thing is most definitely an Avalanche rebirth. The bed and storage configurations are pretty great, and as Martinjlm stated, what can a truck do that an Avalanche style truck can't do? Well, I don't know. But I think Ford may still have an edge in winning over buyers simply because their truck doesn't really look like an EV. Look I get why the Silverado EV looks like it does...at least a major part of that is due to wind drag which I'd bet is much better than the Ford. But looks win people over, and this thing, as cool as it is, may have trouble converting some folks. I think the Silverado EV needs to loose those side curtains, and it needs to do it in a hurry.

I think it is the better truck EV when compared to the Lightning. The screens in the interior are sweet and all, but I was not impressed with the dash design. I think the new 2022 Silverado and Sierra do it better.

Overall great job GM.
Agree 1000% on the bolded
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #33
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I like it. I said when I saw the first leaked photo that this is basically an electric Avalanache. I'm ok with them calling it a Silverado. The Avalanche probably should have been called the Silverado something or other so I don't really get people getting butthurt over this thing being called a Silverado. Avalanche was still a full size truck and it had a bed on it. This one is the same so I have no issue calling it Silverado.

The fully loaded price is ridiculous though. I think it's insane for any American truck to cost over $100k. They need to put the crack pipe down and offer a desirable trim at a desirable price. No one wants a freaking Work Truck trimmed truck.

The Silverado EV and Lightning absolutely shit all over that Tesla CyberTruck abomination in interior and exterior design.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #34
PJS57

Drives: 2023 Cadillac CT4
This looks like a really cool truck. Lots of useful features, a nice interior, and it doesn't look like a space toy like the Tesla truck. More $$$ than I can stomach for a truck, but I'm sure they will still sell them faster than they can make them.
PJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #35
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

The fully loaded price is ridiculous though. I think it's insane for any American truck to cost over $100k. They need to put the crack pipe down and offer a desirable trim at a desirable price. No one wants a freaking Work Truck trimmed truck...
I don't know about this Silverado, but I just realized if you want heated seats on the Ford Lightning, the cheapest you can get that is for about 64 grand. Yikes.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #36
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Trailboss coming.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #37
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Some quick takes.

I agree they should have called it Avalanche.

the range is super impressive, as are the capabilities. They really knocked it out of the park there.

And that interior I have to say is absolutely stunning. It's gorgeous.

That said, its still ugly as sin and the work truck yuck. It almost makes the Silverado good looking haha. Trying to remember the specs on the F-150 Lightning, looks like GM has it beat in a ton of areas if not all. Only spot the F-150 beats it in is styling, and looking like a normal truck. I just don't get why EV's have to have that exaggerated styling
For a quick/rough comparison of the two:

Payload
F-150: 2000
Silverado: W/T-1200 Others-1300

Tow
F-150: 10,000
Silverado: W/T-8000 others-10,000

Hp/Tq
F-150: XL-426/775
F-150: optional (XLT+)-563/775
Silverado: W/T-510/615 others-664/780

Range
F-150: 230*-300*
Silverado: 400+

MSRP (starting)
F-150: XL-$41,669 XLT-$54,669 Lariat-$69,169 Platinum-$92,569
Silverado: W/T~$39,900**

*With 1000lbs payload
**plus destination, current for Silverado is $1595
Old 01-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #38
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I like it. I said when I saw the first leaked photo that this is basically an electric Avalanache. I'm ok with them calling it a Silverado. The Avalanche probably should have been called the Silverado something or other so I don't really get people getting butthurt over this thing being called a Silverado. Avalanche was still a full size truck and it had a bed on it. This one is the same so I have no issue calling it Silverado.

The fully loaded price is ridiculous though. I think it's insane for any American truck to cost over $100k. They need to put the crack pipe down and offer a desirable trim at a desirable price. No one wants a freaking Work Truck trimmed truck.

The Silverado EV and Lightning absolutely shit all over that Tesla CyberTruck abomination in interior and exterior design.
GM is approaching this the same way they are approaching Hummer EV. Put the highest content / highest priced / highest profit trims out first. Then follow with lower contented packages and trims. Couple reasons for this. One is to take advantage of the people who “gotta own the first one” and are willing to pay what it takes. The second reason is to organically match demand to capacity. They are not going to be able to ramp to full capacity overnight. That usually takes 6-12 months, especially with a new facility. Factory Zero won’t be totally brand new, since Hummer and Cruise Automation are already starting production there, but it is still technically in “new plant ramp-up” mode. By the time they get to full volume capability, the more sensibly contented and priced models will be introduced.

By comparison, the Hummer EV Edition 1 starts at $112,595 and has everything but power mudflaps. A year later they will add the Hummer EV 3X at $99,995. Six months later they’ll add Hummer EV 2X at $89,995. Then finally a year after that they will add Hummer EV 2 at $79,995. Silverado EV Edition 1 comes in at $105,000. Not sure about the power mudflaps. I would expect the new trim additions and price de-escalation will happen more quickly, as it will likely be the top priority product for Factory Zero. So decently equipped trims are likely to come in somewhere around the low $60s and up to low $90s, with a fully loaded RST to maintain the top end at $105k.

For the sake of comparison, today a fully loaded Silverado High Country approaches $75k. An F150 Platinum approaches $80k. And people are buying them faster than they are buying base models (in terms of days-on-lot).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Silverado EV Spec Sheet from the Media Kit
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #40
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I will leave this here, you are not towing 10k with 1200lbs of payload.

Ok, rant over.

I like it.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #41
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Leave it to gm to circle back to a 10+ year avalanche body style that nobody wanted. Better yet lets just rebadge it instead as a Silverado and maybe nobody will notice or remember the pathetic sales
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #42
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Leave it to gm to circle back to a 10+ year avalanche body style that nobody wanted. Better yet lets just rebadge it instead as a Silverado and maybe nobody will notice or remember the pathetic sales
People definitely wanted and currently want an Avalanche. They sold a lot of them over its 9 year run and we still have people asking if they're ever going to bring it back. It's a niche vehicle but there are folks that would buy one.

It really makes sense to bring back the styling this way rather than spend the development money to turn the Suburban into one again.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote