The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #29
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i'm not happy to see ice stuff go away. i am happy to see high performance electric stuff made, marketed and sold. electric car is def going to be an appliance, at least some of them are really fast.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:39 AM   #30
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Electric Formula 1 already exists, its called Formula E. The fact that virtually nobody knows it exists speaks volumes about how much fun it is to watch.
It sucks and the tracks suck

Drive over the magic mushrooms and get more battery boost

Be a fan fave and get votes for more boost.

Switch cars at halftime because they can't even go the whole distance
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #31
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This is the truth. Its hard for those like myself that have been passionate about owning, modifying and wrenching on muscle car for the last 40 years. End of an era. Hopefully the woke mob won't ban ICE for hobbyist.

I agree here also. The experience isn't about 0 to 60 mph.
You hit on an ideal concept with muscle cars. We loved them not necessarily for how good they were. People loved them also (strangely enough) for their imperfections. I can't say that I enjoy fixing a car, but it was the experience of fixing a muscle car that gave its ownership value. The experience of hearing the motor open up, the rush one gets from going down a highway while the car is at wot, with the wind whipping inside of the car. All of this will be lost in a short while.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #32
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You hit on an ideal concept with muscle cars. We loved them not necessarily for how good they were. People loved them also (strangely enough) for their imperfections. I can't say that I enjoy fixing a car, but it was the experience of fixing a muscle car that gave its ownership value. The experience of hearing the motor open up, the rush one gets from going down a highway while the car is at wot, with the wind whipping inside of the car. All of this will be lost in a short while.
The roar from the secondary's opening was awesome

I still like fuel injection better though.....you get your cake and get to eat it too
Old 12-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #33
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
The roar from the secondary's opening was awesome

I still like fuel injection better though.....you get your cake and get to eat it too
Yea true that. Hearing the barrels open up at wot though.............wow that used to be fun.

The LS engines were the epitome of v8 fun. It was the perfection of the concept.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:31 AM   #34
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Yea true that. Hearing the barrels open up at wot though.............wow that used to be fun.

The LS engines were the epitome of v8 fun. It was the perfection of the concept.
Nothing like the W/O roar of an LS going full bore at the dragstrip
Old 12-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #35
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Electric Formula 1 already exists, its called Formula E. The fact that virtually nobody knows it exists speaks volumes about how much fun it is to watch.
I tried so hard twice to watch them I really did. That has got to be the most lamest motorsport I have ever seen in my life.

"Tesla is the modern muscle car" LMFAO to the OP btw. The stuff this guy post......
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #36
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I tried so hard twice to watch them I really did. That has got to be the most lamest motorsport I have ever seen in my life.

"Tesla is the modern muscle car" LMFAO to the OP btw. The stuff this guy post......
But WAIT, there is more

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #37
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:

Yea boy…I checked out a couple of races and you’re right…there is something absolutely missing. I just couldn’t get un-bored with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
It sucks and the tracks suck

Drive over the magic mushrooms and get more battery boost

Be a fan fave and get votes for more boost.

Switch cars at halftime because they can't even go the whole distance
This argument is invalid because Formula one has an overtake button, or push to pass button.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #38
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Here’s the thing. Electric automobiles are not only here to stay but will be taking over the market in the next decade or so.

Think about this. In the late 1800’s the first time two motor cars lined up beside each other..it was a race. The loser went home and figured out away to go faster ‘cause he didn’t wanna lose again. Then the next loser got faster etc, etc.

Fast forward to 2021. There’s an electric car kinda dominating every stock car at the local weekend fun track. A lot of modifieds too. So what the hell? Another electric car comes to the track and one of them is gonna be faster…guess what..that guy says oh hell no and makes his car faster…etc etc. Instead of wrenching on it he’s gonna use tech and science and engineering specific to the electric scene because like the cars of Christmas past, they all got faster.

In our lifetime we can absolutely count on a couple of things. Electric cars will race nascar or nascar type tracks as well as formula 1 and motorcycle racing. And you can take this to the bank….there will be a four second 300+mph electric car.

So they can call it a muscle car or a toaster or whatever you want..but nobody races for second place.
Do you really think you will be "modding" and "customizing" and "personalizing" any electric car? I don't see how people don't understand this. These days are gone, the do-gooders have come to put a stop to this and save some lives.

Yes, the same exact argument can be made about future models of ICE cars, but at least you can kind of somewhat kind of halfway "mod", look at the C8 and global B platform.

And this goes back to the statement that keeps being made that Tesla's are an appliance, yes they most certainly are, you are in a moving battery pack with a bunch of software and remote servers controlling everything about it, all controlled by Elon himself. You are the exact same as everyone else on the road.

The industry is about to get a rude awakening once all the do gooders come to terms with just how expensive this super cool concept of a Tesla is when batteries come extremely expensive. We will see a repeat of the late 1970s when lead gas went away. A recession will hit and destroy the industry like the last one, they will have to cut way back on batteries instead of compensating and making cars "fast" by stuffing tens of thousands of battery cells in it. Or come to terms that they were initially correct that hybrids weren't such a bad or, evil as ICE, as they were made out to be.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #39
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I'm still waiting for the day when there will be a biometric check to unlock the doors. Then, once you get in, the doors lock and "your" car drives you to the police station for a warrant, or questioning, or IRS audit, or whatever else.....
Old 12-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #40
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post

Yea boy…I checked out a couple of races and you’re right…there is something absolutely missing. I just couldn’t get un-bored with it.

This argument is invalid because Formula one has an overtake button, or push to pass button.
Actually they don't have a push to pass button in F1...Indy Car has that.

They have different fuel maps they can switch to.

On the straights if they are within 1 second of the car ahead the rear wing opens up reducing drag and increasing top speed.

They also get that feature in qualifying without needing a car within a second
Old 12-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #41

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
EV conversions will likely become the more popular mod and hobby rather than trying to wrench on a stock EV off the showroom floor. "Hot Rodding" and NHRA will add EVs to the mix at some point.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/nhra-...-racing-series

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ev-hot-rod-column/

IMO what may get called an EV muscle car will be a custom EV drag car conversion, not a stock Telsa.

Last edited by 90503; 12-21-2021 at 12:55 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #42
102SS
waiting at the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
EV conversions will likely become the more popular mod and hobby rather than trying to wrench on a stock EV off the showroom floor. "Hot Rodding" and NHRA will add EVs to the mix at some point.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/nhra-...-racing-series

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ev-hot-rod-column/

IMO what may get called an EV muscle car will be a custom EV drag car conversion, not a stock Telsa.
Yeah the Tesla LS conversion was great...it should help lead the way into the future

https://www.lsxmag.com/features/sema...-quite-a-stir/