The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
CHALLENGER RT 5.7 V8 2016 MANUAL

My friend asked me to help buy this car.
Is 5.7 good engine? The transmission will be about TR 6060 as I have in Camaro.
Is there anything you need to look out for when buying this car?
And is there a big difference between 5.7 and 6.1L or 6.4L engines?

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
5.7 is a great engine. But in these cars it is "slow". You need the 6.4 to hang with modern cars. The cars are heavy.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
5.7 is a great engine. But in these cars it is "slow". You need the 6.4 to hang with modern cars. The cars are heavy.

Thanks for the reply.

I know Challenger is heavy.
But 6.4 here have meaningless prices here.
The 5.7 is for a very good price and is also in the manual.
A my friend is a complete beginner for 23 years.
I think that will be enough for him to start with.

It was just a question of whether this engine had a weakness that needed to be looked after

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
The 6.4 is by far the best engine
Old 12-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
George, the 5.7 is a great engine but not the most powerful, but there are mods that can be done to improve that. LT's, CAI, a cam if he wants to. Yes they are a heavy car but still a lot of fun to drive. My buddy has one and he loves it, he had to delete the mufflers to get a good sound out of it though. And the other thing he had an issue with was the rear diff, seems like these Mopar diffs had a bad rap for breaking, and or making noises. He had his rebuilt twice and the second time they got it totally replaced and now all is good.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
oof. manual trans 5.7?

stock pushrod 5.0 cars gonna be running him down.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:14 AM   #7
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
oof. manual trans 5.7?

stock pushrod 5.0 cars gonna be running him down.
We have different conditions here.
Challenger is like a car from another world. Engines up to 2.0L and 150hp predominate here

Old 12-08-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
George, the 5.7 is a great engine but not the most powerful, but there are mods that can be done to improve that. LT's, CAI, a cam if he wants to. Yes they are a heavy car but still a lot of fun to drive. My buddy has one and he loves it, he had to delete the mufflers to get a good sound out of it though. And the other thing he had an issue with was the rear diff, seems like these Mopar diffs had a bad rap for breaking, and or making noises. He had his rebuilt twice and the second time they got it totally replaced and now all is good.

Nice...
I see that a common mistake.
I recently read that Hellcat / Demon also tears differentials. Surprisingly

O.K. I check it

Old 12-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
My friend asked me to help buy this car.
Is 5.7 good engine? The transmission will be about TR 6060 as I have in Camaro.
Is there anything you need to look out for when buying this car?
And is there a big difference between 5.7 and 6.1L or 6.4L engines?

My guess is the Diffs probably pop because of hard launches on sticky tires.

There are probably very few muscle cars to choose from in the Czech Republic.

Most of the guys posting here are from the US where choices are plentiful.

If the price is decent go for it.

BTW they build them about an hours drive north of here.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Y88 TA

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS 6 Manual, 1978 Y88 TA
Agree with 102SS, if the price is right don't let it get away.
Y88 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #11
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
My guess is the Diffs probably pop because of hard launches on sticky tires.

There are probably very few muscle cars to choose from in the Czech Republic.

Most of the guys posting here are from the US where choices are plentiful.

If the price is decent go for it.

BTW they build them about an hours drive north of here.
Definitely because of the hard starts and sticky tires.
These are the unbelievable power that those engines produce.

And of course you're right.
Here, if you have a specific requirement for a car, such as the Challenger, which wants a V8 in combination with a manual transmission, then you have a choice of around 10 cars

Old 12-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #12
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y88 TA View Post
Agree with 102SS, if the price is right don't let it get away.
Clearly. I'm going to take a look at the blue Challenger 5.7 manual with hood shaker.
So I'll see if it works buy

Old 12-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Good luck George! And blue?? Heck yea, snap it up. My buddy really like his now that he got the diff fixed. He does try to "test" me sometimes, but I just leave him sitting, or walk away from him in a hurry!! lol.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #14
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Good luck George! And blue?? Heck yea, snap it up. My buddy really like his now that he got the diff fixed. He does try to "test" me sometimes, but I just leave him sitting, or walk away from him in a hurry!! lol.
Yes, blue. But according to the dealer's actions, I don't feel very good about it. A friend called me yesterday and one day he told him one amount and the next day he told him another amount and much higher. So I don't know if he's trying a young guy or he's making a joke.

When he wanted to send more photos, he sent him a link to google pictures ... just comedy.

Name:  IMG-20211209-WA0000.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  169.6 KB