Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #85

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Automatics have definitely improved over the years and become more popular for a variety of reasons.

But they are still a more expensive option. Eliminate any manual as standard, and your choice is only the more expensive one, being as there will be no choice.

Fans of manuals are trying to keep them available as a matter of choice. Promoting automatics as a dual clutch auto, paddle shift, select driving modes, etc., as if a true manual, or an "old fashioned" manual is no longer needed or desirable is a half-truth at best.

If there is no clutch pedal, it's not a manual. Nothing against automatics at all. Drive them all you want. They are great and better than ever.

But those who want a true manual shouldn't have to always be wondering when they will disappear for good. Automatic fans a lot of times seem to think the manual is no longer needed and if it disappears, so what...

We should all be wanting both to be available for the foreseeable future.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #86
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
Torque converter auto's are limited.
DC auto's are where its at but there is a huge cost $$$$

I'm old school, third pedal ftw....
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #87
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I just picked up a '21 LT1 M6. I love driving sticks. Both cars I owned when stationed in Japan were sticks a S14 Silva and a RX7 FD and traffic out there could suck, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Ever since my dad taught me out to drive on his VW bus, with those crazy long throws for a kid, I knew every car I owned would be a stick.

Traffic, no traffic driving a stick doesn't bother me.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #88
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
A-freegin-men! Look, for daily errands and going to work, sure, gimme the auto. Im OK with that and I too just want to "get there". But, I assumed enthusiasts would always prefer the manual shifting process when craving up a back road, a track or anything like that. Thats how I always viewed it. To each their own, of course.

Its just sad and odd that you can NOT even get a MT in a new Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc. Wow. Enzo, Dr. Porsche and Ferrucio are rolling in their graves, LOL. I get that part of this is that most buyers of these cars - like young, rich internet kids cant drive sticks but geez..... you could at least offer it!
Glad Im getting older and will likely still be able to find cars with MT's in them for sport use.

I wont probably be driving much or even be around when they are all truly gone!
Not true on the Porsche front. Only the base Carrera is offered sans manual. Don’t know about the Ferrari or Lambo world, but Porsche offers a fantastic m7.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #89
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Manual.

Pros, you shift
Cons, the auto shifts for you
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #90
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmaro View Post
I'll just make this short & simple.

What do you people prefer? I'd like to hear pros and cons, and maybe some debates.

Stick is definatley more fun, can come out the whole quicker if you can get the traction. More old school driving feel if you are used to driving vintage muscle cars with sticks. Overall just cooler. Just like those seeking vintage muscle cars the stick shifts will bring a higher price because more desirable.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:19 AM   #91
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
so a lot of people want to go back to the days of 4 speed manual trans,4 barrell carbs,and either 4 wheel drum or just front disc brakes? im sorry but my 6 cylinder automatic late model is faster,safer,and more efficient.

Not necessarily faster because of the engine. You have much better gearing and traction that the vintage cars. But the 6 banger is still not putting out the power of a vintage V8. Way low on Torque.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #92
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I always hear 'The auto because it's faster'. Yet 99% of these cars will never see a track. I agree to its benefits for a traffic commute as a DD. But for the rest of you, did you spend the extra money and give up the engagement a manual offers just to beat your chest around the water cooler at work?
The auto is faster on the street during any/everyday driving. I love manuals more than anyone, and anyone can drive a manual, but the auto trans cars will get ya at the stop light every time . No need to brag at the water cooler when its always a win on any road in the USA. Plus the 10 speed auto is that good, up shift, down shift, rev match, bang shifts at wot redline etc etc.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #93
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The auto is faster on the street during any/everyday driving. I love manuals more than anyone, and anyone can drive a manual, but the auto trans cars will get ya at the stop light every time . No need to brag at the water cooler when its always a win on any road in the USA. Plus the 10 speed auto is that good, up shift, down shift, rev match, bang shifts at wot redline etc etc.
Well, street racing is illegal here. So it doesn't matter.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #94
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
Not necessarily faster because of the engine. You have much better gearing and traction that the vintage cars. But the 6 banger is still not putting out the power of a vintage V8. Way low on Torque.
tq is hardly relative when the cars have a shift extension thats shorter than the power band.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #95
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The auto is faster on the street during any/everyday driving. I love manuals more than anyone, and anyone can drive a manual, but the auto trans cars will get ya at the stop light every time
Which means less than nothing to me even while it's happening.

There's always been somebody who was driving a faster car than mine anyway.

Norm
Old 09-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #96
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Auto trans. Faster, more fuel efficient, easier to drive.But I would not have a auto in my camaro.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #97
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
LGX is still more powerful than anything from Malaise Era, and then some years after it. Even when we are talking about the vintages before Malaise Era, you need a well-optioned V8 to match the power.

Low-end torque is great for DD, but in competitive settings, it doesn't matter as much as long as you can shift properly to prevent the engine from revving too low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Well, street racing is illegal here. So it doesn't matter.
Yeah, especially after going to a track, street racing just doesn't entice me anymore.

And it all boils down to traction, too. Audi's w/Quattro can spank us(auto or manual) if they can grip better despite having less power.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #98
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Not true on the Porsche front. Only the base Carrera is offered sans manual. Don’t know about the Ferrari or Lambo world, but Porsche offers a fantastic m7.
I stand corrected - Dr. Porsche is not freeking out just yet then.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote