Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Carolina_Camaro

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 2011
Unhappy Frustrated SS ......HELP !

Good evening everyone !

Hoping to get some help here. I have a 2011 Chevy Camaro SS. I continue to have issues with oil pressure. Here is the history: I encountered the problem the first time so I changed the oil pressure sensor switch, changed the oil and flushed the old oil(not in that order). Worked fine with no issues for weeks. Oil pressure warning comes on again ! Replaced the oil pressure sending unit AGAIN and replaced the oil pressure filter underneath. Still having the oil pressure sensor warning to occur. Now it doesn't just immediately drop. The car will run for 20 to 30 minutes before decreasing to the point to cause sensor alarm. I thought it may have been the EFI connector to the oil pressure sensor but when disconnected it reads 0 but when I connect it back it reads to the 30 PSI but again decreases over time. There is no knocking or engine noise and oil levels are fine. I PRAY its not the oil pump ! Anybody encountered this before or can offer any advice. So frustrated at this point.
Carolina_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I know you don’t want to hear it, but it may be the oil pump. You’ve changed the sensor twice and have gotten the same result. The only other way to diagnose would be tapping in an oil pressure gauge to see if it is in fact low pressure. If so, it’s the oil pump. They really aren’t bad to change and would be a great time to do a ls2 timing chain tensioner. I would rather do the oil pump than do the damn blend door I’m going to have to pull my dash to do. There really isn’t any other culprit involved unless it was a cluster issue, which I HIGHLY doubt. I would start getting an oil pump on order before you ruin something by running it with low pressure.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First things first, welcome to the forums!

Did you have a manual transmission or an automatic? I hate to say it, but LS3 cars (manual transmission cars) have been prone to oil pump failures. If you've already replaced the sensor a couple times I'm guessing you probably have a failing oil pump.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
What does it get down to when hot? how many miles are on the engine?
2015 Camaro SS, LS3 Stroker, PRC heads,CUSTOM CAM. AGP 68/68 with custom Hot and Cold side. Fore triple pumps, Holley terminator X. BMR drag suspension with carlyle brake kit. 15" ET drags and 17" skinnies. ZL1 3.73 gears , aluminum driveshaft. TH400 with circle D converter.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
BAH2SS
Stigs Bahraini Cousin

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
How many miles, i would suggest checking the oil pressure manually. I know of 2 ways to do that.
Removing the oil filter and installing the gauge using a adapter found on eBay or disconnecting the oil cooler and connecting the pressure gauge using ad adapter also found on eBay.

A total of 3 sensors showed low oil pressure so i guess also it's a pump failure or the O-Ring (seal) on the pick up tube is damaged.

Laat question, which oil grade you use?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Throw a manual gauge on it, may end up saving your motor.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
When you did the flush, by chance, did you remove the oil pan?
IDK all the specifics, but there were certain LS motors where it was easy to bump the pickup tube and unseat it. I think you would always have low pressure though.
Or maybe the flush dislodged some gunk and it's building-up on the pickup screen?
What oil temps are you seeing when the pressure is ultra low?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The LS3 has been proven to have problems with the oil pump and lifters. Not the
most reliable engine. So, if you have that engine, I'd at least change out the oil pump since that sounds like the culprit.

Good luck!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Oil pump is or has failed. My 2011 LS3 failed twice...first with around 65-70k (replaced and covered under warranty), second time at 93k and was "catastrophic failure". But the good news was I got a brand new motor covered under the extended warranty I had.

At any case, shut it down and dont drive it until you get it figured out.
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil pressure problems/sensor