The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Craigslist Idiots

This is pretty much just a rant about the pieces of crap that walk this earth...

I have been shopping for a winter beater pickup truck, last night one popped up a craigslist, a '98 Ford Ranger, 130k miles, $1800. I called less than 30 minutes after he posted it and asked if I could check it out last night, he let me know he wouldn't be home but I could stop by and check it out.

I checked it out and it looked about as clean as an $1800 truck can be, especially in NH. For $1800 here they usually need frame repairs and or they don't have rocker panels. This thing was mint, very little rust, paint was beat, but no rust, clean interior.

Called less than an hour after my original call and told him contingent on a test drive I would like to buy it, he says he'll hold it until the next evening when I get out of work, as I was the first person to contact him and I already looked at it.

He calls me today at 11:45am and asks if I can look at it during lunch instead (told him I work about 5 minutes away), and I let him know it was too short notice, but I would definitely be there after work at 5:00. He again let me know that the truck had a lot of interest, but he would hold it for me since I was the first to contact him/initially check out the truck.

He calls me at 4:45, and tells me he sold the truck. WTF. So p1ss3d, I have been looking at trucks for 3 weeks and this was by far the best one I had seen for under $3k. I simply said "thank you" and hung up.

How can people put that little stock in their own word? Is this normal craigslist behavior?

Other one, I went to go look at a truck over the weekend that was claimed "150k miles, rust free Florida truck in north for one year, engine and transmission rebuilt 50k miles ago." I am told it is all solid, everything works, and it is in okay to good condition inside and out (guy was a senior citizen with a crappy camera, so i couldn't get any more pictures out of him). I drive an hour to look at it, car has an actual 271k miles, half the buttons on the interior don't work, every panel/cloth surface on the interior needed to be replaced, tailgate lever doesn't work, undercarriage is covered in rust, and rocker panels are completely gone? Did he think I wouldn't notice anything? Additionally, there was so much dirt, grime, and oil on the motor no way it was rebuilt 50k miles ago, unless someone shoveled a load of soil under the hood instead of into the bed.

Headed to Texas for a week, the search will continue when I get back! If I had enough vacation time I would look for a Truck down there and drive it back home.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Integrity, he needs some.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Unfortunately it's pretty common.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Pathogen

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
On the other side, I have had so many people swear that they would be there if I would hold something for them. I held it and they never showed, causing me to miss multiple buyers. Sadly, you are the exception, not the rule.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
You better hit craigslist and autotrader while you're in Texas. You won't find a much better truck market than there. Make time.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Driving a beater that far will require balls of steel! Good luck
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Don't now about Rangers, but 3/4 ton trucks (especially diesels) from TX have been worked hard and put up wet!
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDIESEL View Post
Don't now about Rangers, but 3/4 ton trucks (especially diesels) from TX have been worked hard and put up wet!
I disagree. There's not a better market for used diesels than Texas. You can find any number of vehicles that have been abused anywhere but there's a plethora of good used trucks down there and working a diesel hard doesn't necessarily hurt it by any means if it's maintained. Idaho isn't too bad for diesels either.

I know OP is looking for a used beater in decent shape and there's plenty out there. Sometimes using Craigslist is like going to the whorehouse and looking for a wife. You can find one if you look hard enough but you've got a little work ahead of you.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
BeastMode

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Sometimes using Craigslist is like going to the whorehouse and looking for a wife. You can find one if you look hard enough but you've got a little work ahead of you.
This is so full of win haha

I wish I had time down there to look, but the whole time is a family affair (sister's doctorate graduation) so we shall see. Also I am already borrowing vacation from work to go so no extensions to drive something home.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Money talks, man. For all you know, someone offered him $2200.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
It's craigslist, you gotta grab your money and go get it! There's no "holding" anything.. If someone is there with money in hand, it's getting sold. I don't hold anything because I've been burned too many times holding something for someone who never comes back and then lost out on other sales while holding it.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
BeastMode

I would understand if someone made a decision that they weren't holding it for anything, but if that is the case, don't tell people that they are good until they get out of work. If he was honest and said first person to show up at my house gets it than that is fine, no need to bullsh1t someone and say you will hold it for a few hours, and sell it 15 minutes before they get there.

I have sold a number of cars on craigslist, most of them pretty quickly with multiple interested parties, I guess I just wouldn't treat people like that.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
A bird in the hand is what many people go by on there. First one to show up with cash in hand gets it. Same as any car lot for that matter. I was looking at a 69 Camaro SS on a Chevy dealers lot back it 73, I told the salesman I was going to the bank to get the money for it. While I was gone which was only an hour they sold the car. If I had enough money to leave a deposit they would have held it. But as the old saying goes Money talks and BS walks...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen View Post
On the other side, I have had so many people swear that they would be there if I would hold something for them. I held it and they never showed, causing me to miss multiple buyers. Sadly, you are the exception, not the rule.

Exactly. I cannot even count how many times I've been selling something and the wannabe buyer swears, "I will come for it," and they never do. I had one guy on some mufflers last week tell me it was getting late, can I please hold it for him for the next evening. I agreed and the next day he messages me that he spent his $20 and is broke now (muffler's were $30). He's broke now? God please don't ever bring my finances down that low that $20 breaks me!!!

Bottom line, first come first served. Always.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote