Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
What is with the stock spark advance tables?

It looks like Hellen Keller tuned these cars—holy shit! Why is it so damn jagged? I've been working on a tune for my car (haven't flashed it yet), by adding the extra timing from the GMPP LT1 crate engine stock tune and smoothing things out. The result looks very similar to a 2016 Corvette LT1 stock tune. Did they purposely handicap the Camaro or something?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
It looks like Hellen Keller tuned these cars—holy shit! Why is it so damn jagged? I've been working on a tune for my car (haven't flashed it yet), by adding the extra timing from the GMPP LT1 crate engine stock tune and smoothing things out. The result looks very similar to a 2016 Corvette LT1 stock tune. Did they purposely handicap the Camaro or something?
You can not just look at the main table you must take in to account all the other modifier tables for each cell.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Risky Justice

I am, but the other tables match (other than transmission stuff), and this jaggedness seems to only be present on the Camaro spark advance table. Even if there is a reason, it seems like some sloppy work if you ask me. Like they threw a bunch of numbers at the thing until something worked. I also don't see why Chevy would make two seperate tunes for the same engine—seems like it would make more sense financially to have just one tune. I'm just getting into this gen 5 stuff though...coming from LS1.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I only wish I knew what they were thinking as well. You can also see all the inconsistencies in the WOT PE timing adder tables, between the Camaro LT1, corvette LT1, and truck engines sometimes they add timing when its richer and sometimes they subtract timing.

Its like the built the timing adder table in and then decided to subtract timing and do it with the adder table instead of the base table.

If you look at a LT1 GMPP crate engine tune the timing is different as well.

It makes you think they way HP tuners reverse engineered it something got lost in the translation somewhere between all the tables. I'm not sure when they actually calibrate the engines weather or not they are looking at smooth graphs or code. No matter what you think discontinuities don't make a good model for something physical in nature like an engine.

The base table dosent seem to look so bad, except for it seems like they pulled a little too much timing at high rpms at full load.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Risky Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I only wish I knew what they were thinking as well. You can also see all the inconsistencies in the WOT PE timing adder tables, between the Camaro LT1, corvette LT1, and truck engines sometimes they add timing when its richer and sometimes they subtract timing.

Its like the built the timing adder table in and then decided to subtract timing and do it with the adder table instead of the base table.

If you look at a LT1 GMPP crate engine tune the timing is different as well.

It makes you think they way HP tuners reverse engineered it something got lost in the translation somewhere between all the tables. I'm not sure when they actually calibrate the engines weather or not they are looking at smooth graphs or code. No matter what you think discontinuities don't make a good model for something physical in nature like an engine.

The base table dosent seem to look so bad, except for it seems like they pulled a little too much timing at high rpms at full load.
I am thinking about just copying the GMPP tune values and starting from there. So far I have seen no reason to indicate any benefit to keeping the stock mess.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
I'm not much of a tuner but I could see the spark curve is all over the place. I smoothed my spark graph out and added some timing but removed some timing down low rpms which allows me to pull off without it stalling out (M6). If you would like a copy of my tune please let me know and maybe you can compare it ( I don't know what version it is because I'm currently using 3.7 beta).
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Risky Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
I'm not much of a tuner but I could see the spark curve is all over the place. I smoothed my spark graph out and added some timing but removed some timing down low rpms which allows me to pull off without it stalling out (M6). If you would like a copy of my tune please let me know and maybe you can compare it ( I don't know what version it is because I'm currently using 3.7 beta).
Have you noticed any difference at all? I wouldn't mind looking at it.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
JRS

Yes, I thought it seemed a lot stronger down low and up higher in the rpms. I can pull a pretty good hill in 6th at a 1k rpms and maintain speed which I couldn't do before. I also picked up about 1 mpg with less black tailpipes and with the changes I can run 89 octane most of the year without pinging which you will have to look at my spark tables and see if what you think for your car as to that. I will post a copy of my file when I get home on here so you can look at it and compare. Let me know what you think!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
Hey did you end up posting the tune file.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
JRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel2702zzz View Post
Hey did you end up posting the tune file.
No, I couldn't put it on the forum because the hp tune uses a different format but if you would like a copy just pm me.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Quote:
No, I couldn't put it on the forum because the hp tune uses a different format but if you would like a copy just pm me.
what system are you using if not hptuners?
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
JRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
what system are you using if not hptuners?
What I'm taking about is the camaro 6 forum doesn't let you upload hptuner format on a posting but I can email it to you.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Quote:
What I'm taking about is the camaro 6 forum doesn't let you upload hptuner format on a posting but I can email it to you.
oh ok. I'm still yet to order my tuning system. I'm leaning to hptuners as I think that is the only system i can tune myself.
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Can you zip the file first? Right click it and then send to then compressed zip file. then try to send that file.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote