Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-12-2024, 06:17 PM   #57
65ffr

Drives: '18 ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Thanks, I remember seeing that thread before. I'll have to go through it again. Honestly, I try not to answer or make phone calls while driving. So if that is the biggest trade off, losing the mic, I can deal with it. Has compass functionality been confirmed as another casualty of pulling the fuse?

Confirmed, the compass will not work with the fuse pulled. I was surprised to find out however that the GPS would work with the PDR and I would get a track map on the videos.

1100 10/28/22
2000 12/6/22
3400 12/17/22
TPW 1/9/23
delivered 2/7/23
65ffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:28 PM   #58
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
When I purchased my 2016 and they started sending me monthly reports I knew they were spying on me so I went on the web site and cancelled everything to do with OnStar. When I purchased my 24 and the tech guy was working with OnStar I declined everything and refused the trial period except remote access, nothing else. People should be aware they have a recorder on the car that if you're in an accident they can pull data and tell all the functions of the car. I am shocked that insurance companies have not required OBD snooping just to be insured. I expect it will be coming soon.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:57 PM   #59
Bigredwing

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Do you have a Lexis/Nexis app on your phone and Bluetooth turned on? Could be coming from that.
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:30 PM   #60
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
How convenient. Now the "Data & Privacy" section is "down for maintenance."
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:38 PM   #61
GHarris

Drives: 2023 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrep View Post
GHarris

Where did you find the tracker?.. and selling dealer for your car?.. im in Florida as well. Bought mine near Tampa
Extra plug on the OBD port led to a tracker zip tied to the drivers side AC vent.

Stingray

Last edited by GHarris; 01-13-2024 at 11:16 AM.
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:09 PM   #62
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
My Chevy Site Data is down again .
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:29 AM   #63
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
WTF???
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:05 AM   #64
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ffr View Post
Confirmed, the compass will not work with the fuse pulled. I was surprised to find out however that the GPS would work with the PDR and I would get a track map on the videos.
The PDR uses it's own GPS receiver. It is located below the upper horizontal surface of the dash.

Name:  gps.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 01-13-2024, 01:16 PM   #65
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I've been running without the onstar radio board plugged in without issue since 2016 (besides compass).

it's a pretty safe and reversible modification albeit a bit annoying to get to. not that you'll ever want to reverse it.

onstar is not your friend. no telemetry gathering device is that you can't turn off at will.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:06 PM   #66
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I've been running without the onstar radio board plugged in without issue since 2016 (besides compass).

it's a pretty safe and reversible modification albeit a bit annoying to get to. not that you'll ever want to reverse it.

onstar is not your friend. no telemetry gathering device is that you can't turn off at will.
I have read the thread about removing the board, which is for early 6th gens. They’ve done some software/hardware upgrades and changes since. Do you know if there’s anything different on the 2024 models? Is it the same location/removal procedure?
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:28 PM   #67
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i do not know about later model years. however, it's not going to hurt anything to look. pull the fuse, go after the module.. if it's there like in my thread, open it and see if there's a detachable board where the antenna wires connect. if so, remove it. if not, you could leave the antenna disconnected and just rely on the much lower signal strength. if you're super motivated, throw termination stubs on the connectors.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:19 AM   #68
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The problem with calling OnStar and complaining about this supposed issue is because you're reaching the lowest-paid staff besides the janitor in their office buildings. They're equipped to start, cancel, or answer basic questions about OnStar using scripted language. Of course this is causing madness. They truly don't know what you're talking about nor do they know how your data is shared.

GM, Chevrolet, and OnStar all have their data privacy policies available on their main internet pages, as well as how to request to opt out of certain communications and data sharing. Start there. And, also, read the dang policies.

When buying a vehicle, you signed a lot of forms. Probably way more than you remember, and 99.999999% of you didn't sit there and read every one plus all the fine print. Some of you even signed up for OnStar. You consent to a lot, more than you probably know, by accepting the terms of service. Read them.

But again, start with the main internet url pages for GM, Chevy, OnStar and go from there. Screaming at an OnStar rep on the phone or even your salesman... not gonna get the results you want. And check those settings on your App and account, be sure to un-enroll, opt-out if that's what you want.
You are correct in saying that only low level customer service people can be reached, that’s all I have been able to speak to. I am putting pressure on the dealer as they are the only one who could have had a hand in this. I never signed up for any connected services through the app until now. The app shows I’m not enrolled but the OnStar website I found on my desktop showed the program toggled on. FWIW I haven’t screamed at anyone.

Looking at the OnStar insurance page they straight up tell you that your rates could increase and that they use data from an accident to help determine fault. Yes you sign a lot of forms when you buy a car but pretty sure I never agreed to that. They also neglect to tell you that they share the data with third parties outside of OnStar Insurance that is accessible by other insurance companies. Also, opting out may not help as it says it can still share your data with certain parties, it just isn’t publicly available.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sephx1; 01-14-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #69
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Shocked not all Ins comps force us all to have a box so they can see how we really drive. If that comes i am done driving.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:35 AM   #70
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Yes you sign a lot of forms when you buy a car but pretty sure I never agreed to that. They also neglect to tell you that they share the data with third parties outside of OnStar Insurance that is accessible by other insurance companies.
Being "pretty sure" isn't the same as being absolutely sure. Do you also know you agreed to not sue your dealer or GM if there's a problem? Oh yeah, read your contract. You waived that right. You agreed to arbitration.

I'm absolutely sure GM and its dealers have covered their collective asses through privacy notices, consent, and data sharing policies where they are legally required to share those things. This isn't their first rodeo.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote