The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Hit and Run in S. San Jose

Late the other night, my son and D-I-L heard a crash out in front of their house. They looked out in time to find a mid-2000s Subaru limping away with severe damage down the entire right side of the car (they couldn’t get the plate #). They’d said that the door-skins were barely holding on, exposing the internals of the door, and glass/plastic rear-view mirror parts all over the street in front of my old 88 Pontiac GTA that they were borrowing temporarily. They went out expecting similar damage to my car.
They went out and looked the T/A, and in the dark, saw no real damage, Amazed, they went back to bed.
Later, the next morning, the damage was a bit more evident; the fender was dented slightly, there was a crack in the glass in the T/A’s left-side mirror, the 16” front wheel looked like someone had curbed it . + a wheel weight was missing (the original Gold-Mesh wheels were flawless). There's a slight dent in my front fender wheel opening. There was greasy tire-shine shit (God, I hate that stuff) smeared all over the left side of the T/A’s red paint. The car now pulls to the left, and vibrates like hell on the freeway. Other than that, no other problems. The vibration is no-doubt the missing wheel-weight, but it may be bent. I'll put a dial-indicator on it to check it.
That car was never hit in the all years I’ve had it. Though the paint is tired, the body *was* in perfect condition, and no rust. ****ers.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Sorry to hear that. They were probably uninsured drivers.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
CamaroFan63
Sullie63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Sorry to hear about your car, less than a week ago my
nephew north of Dallas has his non performance car hit
also. Sob ran tooo
Oracle clear side markers / LLmar tint sides and rear.
Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Member of SICC. Southern Illinois Camaro Club
CamaroFan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Rayvan
Rayvan

Found the car: I'm planning on leaving this on the owner's windshield.

"Hello Owner of damaged Subaru,

We wondered why you simply didn’t stop after side-swiping my car while was parked in the street in-front of my son and daughter-in-law’s residence. Anyway, we finally found your car yesterday, and indeed the license plate number, the paint color, and the Subaru-logo-marked RH mirror parts we’ve retained, are an exact match for your car. We’d even physically matched those mirror-parts to the broken mirror stub that is still on your car. It all matches perfectly. The red paint left on what’s left of your mirror housing shows that the car you hit was in-deed my red Firebird.

The car you hit is very valuable to our family. While the car’s red paint is admittedly no-longer fresh, the car previously had no rust, no body damage, or any accidents in its 31 yr. long life-span. It passes smog, and runs/drives (drove) perfectly. Since you hit it, it no longer drives correctly, it will require mechanical repairs, and body work that I should not have to be responsible for.

The reason for this letter, is to give you a chance to make it right. I’m sure it will be easier on you in the long run, as leaving the scene of an accident (hit-and-run) is not taken very kindly by SJPD and/or your insurance company. This letter is your final chance to do the right thing, and instead of getting local law-enforcement involved, I’m sure you’d like to avoid a criminal record.

Please send your insurance co + policy number, as well as your CDL# to rayvan1@comcast.net by Aug. 19, 2019, and my phone-call to local law enforcement will not only not occur, I’ll never mention that you’d left the scene of an accident, and I’ll leave you alone forever.

Thank you, and have a nice day,

--Owner of Damaged Firebird."
Old 08-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
yeah, that was probably a waste of time. Just give the information to the police and let them handle it.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Rayvan
Rayvan

Figured I'd give them a chance, and sure enough, he sent this;

"Hello my name is Alejandro ***** and I believe i swiped your vehicle at your address. I can Begin to say how ashamed and sorry i am for not trying to find you sooner but I was and am freaking about it. My email is Alejandro*****@yahoo.com. I sent you a photo of my insurance card to your email address. Again so very sorry and I will get your vehicle fixed."
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Figured I'd give them a chance, and sure enough, he sent this;

"Hello my name is Alejandro ***** and I believe i swiped your vehicle at your address. I can Begin to say how ashamed and sorry i am for not trying to find you sooner but I was and am freaking about it. My email is Alejandro*****@yahoo.com. I sent you a photo of my insurance card to your email address. Again so very sorry and I will get your vehicle fixed."
Without out "YOU" finding his car what are the chances he would have returned? My guess is NONE! It was a smart move on his part to respond, though I am sure his insurance company is going to drop him like a hot spud!