Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
kcandiotti400

Drives: Chevy Camaro, Chevy Impala, Audi TT
New to the 1LE

Hello All,

New to the forum here. I recently purchased a 2013 1LE with 22,000 miles on the clock. I bought it from Carvana, here's the info page on it as there may be details here that I forget to bring up.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1411113#vehicle-details

I live in NYC but during the summer I fly back to Chicago where my buddy and I autocross an Audi TT. I also have a 1996 Impala SS out there as well I've just had sitting in storage.

My purpose for buying the Camaro was so I could start going to track events here on the East coast as well. So far, I've managed to go to an autocross day up at Limerock and plan to attend NY region SCCA events as well.

I have no need to actually drive this car on a daily basis other than to avoid parking tickets and therefore have a pretty free hand when it comes to mods.

I've been reading lots of forum posts here and across the internet about the 1LE which have all been very helpful. I figured I would start a thread here just updating what I'm up to and thoughts on future changes to see if the community has any opinion on them. Hopefully, I'm starting this thread in the right place.

That all being said, my first big purchase was a set of autox day specific wheels and tires. First, I wanted to reduce weight, secondly, I wanted to increase grip. I decided to go with the following:

Front:
19X10" APEX ARC-8 in Satin Black
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285/35

Rear:
19x11" APEX ARC-8 in Satin Black
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 305/30

I decided to keep a staggered setup because after my first track day on the stock setup, I felt like the car rotates very well (no understeer) but I felt I had to say out of exit throttle a bit longer than I would have liked because the backend would step out. I'm hoping a better tire in the rear with the same width will get me dialed in just right.

Currently, the car is at the dealership for an oil change and just a regular check up. I asked them to dial the car in per the Apex Motorsports recommended autocross set up posted here back in 2011. Would everyone agree this is still a good one to go for? (Who knows if the dealer will actually do it though!)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124163

Since I would like to start out in the Street Tire stock class, the list of allowed mods is pretty short. I've already switched out the paper filter for a K&N, have new wheels and tires on the way and now can upgrade 1 stabilizer bar (or unhook one), Change out the shocks, or upgrade the exhaust.

It seems to be that the suspension is probably already top notch and it doesn't seem the aftermarket has a dramatically better setup. Would that be right?

As for exhaust, I believe the one on the car is original. If I were to upgrade my first criteria would be a lighter system. Noise isn't a big deal to me but I do have to contend with NYC emissions and inspections .. however I feel a cat back won't get me in trouble. Are there any modern suggestions to consider?

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks!
Attached Images

kcandiotti400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You might wanna find a bigger rear bar like a 32mm JPSS solid bar or a 35mm hollow bar from DSE that help with that step out.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
kcandiotti400

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
You might wanna find a bigger rear bar like a 32mm JPSS solid bar or a 35mm hollow bar from DSE that help with that step out.
Hi olblue75. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to attend two events which are about two weeks out. The wheels haven't arrived yet but I'm hoping to test out the new rubber and see how it feels. If the rear is still a bit too happy then I think these are strong suggestions. I'll letcha know.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I too recommend this. I went with JPSS 32mm bar. The OEM setup is great on these but if you really push hard, the car turns into a snow plow
Old 08-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
kcandiotti400

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I too recommend this. I went with JPSS 32mm bar. The OEM setup is great on these but if you really push hard, the car turns into a snow plow
Hi CamaroDreams76.

Is there any reason why people choose one bar over another (JPSS versus DSE)? For instance, cost, fitment, quality, etc.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
olblue75

The JPSS bar is solid and really heavy the DSE bar is hollow and not so heavy, a lot depends on availability JPSS is currently out of business so finding one of Pete’s bars might be difficult.

I actually have both bars with the JPSS currently installed I want to run the DSE bar to see if their is a difference an I’ll sell one of them when I return to the states.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandiotti400 View Post
Hi CamaroDreams76.

Is there any reason why people choose one bar over another (JPSS versus DSE)? For instance, cost, fitment, quality, etc.
As olblue said. JPSS is a 32mm solid bar. DSE is a hollow bar.

I have the JPSS bar on mine and thats just because I found one used for a good deal. Also the JPSS bar you can run the OEM tie rods and reuse the OEM sway bar bushings. Im not sure if DSE is the same way. I wanted something that was a super simple bolt on and after reading solid vs hollow debate, I ran into the used one a said screw it. DSE is an awesome company and makes great suspension parts as well as AFE (new Pfadt), BMR. Timing really made my decision for me.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
kcandiotti400

Quote:
As olblue said. JPSS is a 32mm solid bar. DSE is a hollow bar.
This is great feedback, thanks guys. I think I might grab the DSE one since it seems like they have them in stock but I'll wait to do a couple events just so I know how it acts before and after. Is this a DIY in your driveway job or will I need to take it somewhere that can put it on a lift?

One other thing, so I'm 6'8" and notice that with my helmet on I have to lean the seat pretty far back to fit. I'd prefer to sit more vertical so I can see my corners better. Does anyone know if there are any adjustments or different track types to lower the seating? Some googling seemed to suggest it is possible but I didn't see anything specific.

Two events coming up this weekend, really excited but think my new tires won't be here in time :(
Old 08-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
olblue75

I did my bar in the garage on jack stands, not a problem at all. If you want to lower your seat you have to go aftermarket racing seats.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

I also did mine on jack stands. You have to drop part of the exhaust, just take the hanger off the grommet for some finagle room.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #11
kcandiotti400

Quick update, so I went to two events this weekend and here's what I've learned about the car.

First, I picked up the car from the dealership after having them apply the Apex performance street alignment. Upon leaving the dealership I noticed was there a bit of extra dead zone at steering center, I'm not sure if the toe or camber or caster is the reason but having that little dead zone lets me get some momentum turning the wheel before I actually feel resistance. Now maybe the alignment had just been off all along and this is what it always should have felt like but that was the only thing I picked up on. From the outside, the extra camber isn't noticeable.

On Saturday I was at Limerock on the autocross course. It was a really hot and sunny day and I had to run on my P-Zero all seasons because the new tires and wheels didn't arrive yet. I started with 45 psi all the way around and put down some good lap times including a Top 30 for the 2020 AXIS season tracking. One bad thing though was that I kept checking tire temps and found that the rears were running about 30-40 degrees hotter on the inside than the outside. This makes me think the camber in the rear might be excessive as even in a turn I'm not tilting the car over enough to increase the contact patch. In my experience, adding a rear stabilizer bar causes an increase in outer tire temps. So, this supports the recommendation of getting a different rear bar. Additionally, I had MASSIVE brake fade ... there was even a point that I drove off track to go to the bathroom building and at 16 mph when I hit the brake the pedal went to the floor and I kept on rolling. I'm going to assume that's a brake pad issue. Any recommendations? I usually think Hawk and EBC are good products.

https://youtu.be/sSsjZqyfwhQ

On Sunday, I ran an event in a parking lot with the NY region SCCA. The event was on a cloudy day with on and off drizzle turning into a steady light rain by the end. I was able to hit 5th place for the Street tire class, again on the all season. The tire temps never got over 80 degrees (about half the peak temp at Lime Rock) but I found the car was very responsive and had good grip levels. There was only once or twice in ten runs that the rear stepped out. Again though, even though temps were low it did seem the the inner rear tires were the warmest. The front tires had even temperature across the width of the tire. No brake fade during this event but it was wet so easy to dissipate heat.

https://youtu.be/tU2dQVWJgf8

Image Credit: https://www.facebook.com/udor.nyc
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Did you change the brake fluid before the events? The stock fluid is easy to boil on these cars. I havent had that issue but my autocross is done at a small airfield.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
kcandiotti400

Quote:
Did you change the brake fluid before the events? The stock fluid is easy to boil on these cars. I havent had that issue but my autocross is done at a small airfield.
I did not, good tip. Are these DOT4 systems?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandiotti400 View Post
I did not, good tip. Are these DOT4 systems?
DOT 3 from the factory. Go to DOT 4 like Motul 660, etc. The brake/clutch reservoir is shared so it gets dirty pretty quickly.