Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewave62 View Post
I like the speakers in the rear deck, reminds me of 'ol school. So many cars today do not have them. Also, since they have easy access, in the trunk, I can change them if I want to, without much hassle
The rear speakers do NOT come out from the trunk. The back seat and all the panels in thr back seat area plus the rear deck must be removed before you can remove the rear 6x9's....not very easy.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydig11 View Post
I think you are mistaken on this. I believe the count is 2 in front door,2 tweeters on A-pillars, 1 in center dash and 2 in rear deck. The rear deck are considered coaxial while the fronts are considered component.
The rear 6x9's are counted as four speakers. The woofer and tweeter in each speaker is driven by a separate amp channel from the factory BA amp. The BA amp also has electronic crossovers built-in to the amp channels that drive both the woofer and tweeter in the 6x9's.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
The rear speakers do NOT come out from the trunk. The back seat and all the panels in thr back seat area plus the rear deck must be removed before you can remove the rear 6x9's....not very easy.
As jeffa stated, you have no access to the rear speakers without hours of work disassembling the entire back half of the interior cabin.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Do yourself this favor, do not buy anything aftermarket / up sell / upgrade or otherwise related to the radio/stereo/amp/speakers from GM or any other auto manufacture. It is a 100% waste of cash, 100% of the time.

It's an easy rule to remember, if it comes with the car great - otherwise tell the salesman to go fly a kite. Take delivery and go see an audio professional.
Not always true. The higher end systems in many modern cars would cost a LOT more to build aftermarket. My BA system with the optional sub added sounds pretty good- it would take a LOT of money to come up with something better.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 AM   #19
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
As jeffa stated, you have no access to the rear speakers without hours of work disassembling the entire back half of the interior cabin.
I wouldn't say hours. More like one hour. If that. It's really not that difficult. Just follow the steps in the correct order and it's easy.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #20
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Not always true. The higher end systems in many modern cars would cost a LOT more to build aftermarket. My BA system with the optional sub added sounds pretty good- it would take a LOT of money to come up with something better.
Idk what the BA system cost as an option. I have it, and while it sounds better than any factory system I have personally heard, it can't touch the $600-$700 aftermarket system I have in my winter car.
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
With the gen6 deliveries beginning to roll in, we've been discussing "add a sub" there.

Quote:
I've been doing this longer than I care to admit and unfortunately I wish it were not true, but it is. The simplest explanation I can provide is this, GM is in business to make cars and the audio companies are in business to make audio. Don't go to McDonalds to order Filet Mignon, don't go to a car dealer to buy car audio.

The sad reality is the consumer is fairly powerless these days to do anything about it. I am specifically discussing the segment in the car purchase where the salesman stops you and says, "Hey, lets upgrade your audio by XXXX". This is the part where the salesman stabs you in the back and laughs all the way to the bank. The BA system comes with the RS package however, so if you want leather, HID etc, Chevy is going to toss in "A premium audio" then by all means, get it. No one is changing that and I would never advise someone to forgo a complete 'package' to purposely avoid the audio included in it. Asking to buy the "optional sub-woofer" is almost the same as taking a blow torch to your money.

You should hear some of the horror stories of those "other high end systems", one of the worst laughing stocks in the audio industry is the $9,000 Bang and Olufsen Audi system. But hey, there are suckers out there and that is the greatest thing about sales, someone will always buy it and keep them in business and ignorance is pure bliss.

I am not going to impart decades of car audio knowledge to you in a few paragraphs, if those paper junk speakers are a musical symphony orchestra to your ears and the white glove dealer service one stop shop are important to you then by all means ... go buy the upgrade from them and be happy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but know and understand up front you are overpaying for sub-quality and convenience.

The current sales gimmick technique is jumping on the "i" band wagon. "Like how 'perfect' the iPOD works? Here, lemme show you this sub-woofer option that fits perfectly, plug-n-play, specifically engineered just for your Camaro." How much? "Oh, have I got a special deal just for you....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I wouldn't say hours. More like one hour. If that. It's really not that difficult. Just follow the steps in the correct order and it's easy.
Correct, someone like you and I with the knowledge and experience knowing where every fastener and bolt are in the car could easily be in an out in and out in under an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
Idk what the BA system cost as an option. I have it, and while it sounds better than any factory system I have personally heard, it can't touch the $600-$700 aftermarket system I have in my winter car.
Correct, easy upgrade.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
VTSummit

I wouldn't have paid retail for my sub, but I got a great deal and I didn't have to dork with anything to make it work. I added an ESP-2 to the factory system and I'll probably end up swapping the amp and speakers out because I have a ton of high end stuff just laying around. I agree that paying to upgrade the factory system when ordering isn't really the best route all the time- but the nice integration on the factory stuff is nice.
Funny you mention the Bang and Olufsen, as I have B&O for one of my home systems and I have it in one of my cars- VERY few aftermarket systems will come close to touching it for sound quality... and by that I mean audiophile grading, not just a boomin rock and roll system. I have a recording studio in my house, so I can usually pick apart almost any system.
The Kicker factory add-on sounds good without any adjustment, so if someone wants a plug and play that is already set up, adjusted and tweaked to sound right- there's an easy, albeit expensive option.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #23
davethewave62

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
You sure? I can see my complete speakers in my trunk. I can see the mounting bracket and bolts too. They are not covered nor restricted in any way.

Maybe its different on a 2014 2LT/RS.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #24
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
False

I believe the add on is about $995

I can get a way better sounding system for almost half that
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
VTSummit

It's not $995 where I am... but I've never heard a $500 "system" that sounds very good. I'm not a Best Buy consumer level listener. I added a processor and sub to my system in one hour and it sounds really damned good.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #26
BigRed82

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:
It's not $995 where I am... but I've never heard a $500 "system" that sounds very good. I'm not a Best Buy consumer level listener. I added a processor and sub to my system in one hour and it sounds really damned good.
Which processor?
BigRed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #27
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Decent pair of inside speakers $350 small amp to power them $100-$200
Add a sub and amp later
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #28
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewave62 View Post
You sure? I can see my complete speakers in my trunk. I can see the mounting bracket and bolts too. They are not covered nor restricted in any way.

Maybe its different on a 2014 2LT/RS.
Are you the original owner? Are they the original speaker's? OEM 6x9s drop in from the top and are held on place with a clip at one end and a small screw at the other.