The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 09:17 PM   #43
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
THIS! Beat me to it.

They'll stop emailing you so you'll feel warm and fuzzy, but the tracker is always there. They can, and likely will continue to snoop and sell the data
Yeah, Onstar was probably like: “Sure thing sir, we just disconnected the service and you’re all set, no more tracking”. Then as soon as you hang up they’re like: “What a rube, I can’t believe they keep falling for that!”
Old 03-26-2024, 09:56 PM   #44
andy3213

Drives: 2019 1SS
I never used Onstar and never set up an account with them. But I went ahead and pulled the Lexis-Nexis report for myself. There's pages and pages of driving data in there from my Camaro. Even though I had heard what was happening, it was shocking to see how much data they actually sent in.

My daily driver is actually an F-150 (SYNC4). There was no driving data from from Ford and no data from my wife's Grand Cherokee (uConnect) which is registered to me.
andy3213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:07 PM   #45
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
As an fyi, they will no longer share data with those two firms, but that doesn’t mean they won’t share with other firms now or in the future…..
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:47 PM   #46
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
“Free” anything is not to be trusted, ever. We all learned that as a child. Well, those of us still around at least did.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2024, 01:52 AM   #47
Green82

Drives: 2022 camaro lt1
so whats wrong with onstar?
i have their service for remote start from my phone and for the internet for the car1
Green82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:19 AM   #48
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
After I got my Banks Data Monster gage "permanently" (i.e. always plugged in) connected to the OBD2 port, OnStar starting sending me diagnostic reports that said:

"We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port."

Is it POSSIBLE that the presence of the gage might also therefor be preventing transmission of drving data?

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:38 AM   #49
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
After I got my Banks Data Monster gage "permanently" (i.e. always plugged in) connected to the OBD2 port, OnStar starting sending me diagnostic reports that said:

"We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port."

Is it POSSIBLE that the presence of the gage might also therefor be preventing transmission of drving data?

Jim G

Let's hope so!
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:53 AM   #50
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
no data?

I'm not sure what I did right (or wrong?), as we have 4 gm vehicles in the household. All of them have functional OnStar hardware. I have an active onstar account, an OnStar safety plan active on one of the vehicles and have remote access on 2 of the others. The free trial just ran out on the 4th, and has "no" specific coverage.

Given all of recent conversation, I made sure I was "opted out" of SmartDriver for every vehicle in the app, but had to turn of smart driver for the that 4th vehicle I just picked up in November, the others were off already. Given the concerns, I requested a report from LexisNexis two weeks ago and was expecting to see information from OnStar. Although the report contained registration & insurance info on all my vehicles, there was no information relative to SafeDriver on that report.

I don't recall approving or denying participation 3 times to get to this condition, or maybe my vehicles are with "Verisk" so the info isn't showing up on LexisNexis? I'm not complaining, but I don't feel I did anything out of the ordinary to not have my driving information shared...
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:11 AM   #51
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Reader mode in your browser bypasses the paywall. Also, this is good news.
No idea where this is
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote