Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
rhodgesj

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss 6 speed man
best cam option

I have a 2011 ss camaro ls3 m6 I am looking to do a cam swap. Trying to find the best cam for it at the best price. I would like it to have a more aggressive I ideal than stock but not to wild. I am planning next year to do a lsa supercharger conversation on it so I would like a cam that would work great non supercharger and would work well with the supercharger as well. I would like to do both at the same time but the budget I have I can only do the cam for now.
rhodgesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Check out our NightFury cam. We have used it on N02, twin turbos, centrifugal blowers, as well as PD blowers and of course naturally aspirated. On the PD blowers (Whipple, LSA,Magnuson) we put it on a 115 LSA.

Feel free to contact me with any questions

NICK
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
A camshaft selection from a "little" place such as Reher Morrison requires about 50 questions answered. DETAILED current mods, weight, planned car use, expectations, etc. They do NOT want to know what you wanna do 5 years from now, they wanna know what you wanna do NOW.

I've built close to 100 motors over the past 45 years - NO off the shelf cam was ever used. All cams were custom grinds. Show me 2 EXACT street/track/strip cars used EXACTLY the same way. Racecars...OK, but never non-racecars. I'll give you half a century to find them. I've been around cars that long and never came across a pair.

Capisce?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
A camshaft selection from a "little" place such as Reher Morrison requires about 50 questions answered. DETAILED current mods, weight, planned car use, expectations, etc. They do NOT want to know what you wanna do 5 years from now, they wanna know what you wanna do NOW.

I've built close to 100 motors over the past 45 years - NO off the shelf cam was ever used. All cams were custom grinds. Show me 2 EXACT street/track/strip cars used EXACTLY the same way. Racecars...OK, but never non-racecars. I'll give you half a century to find them. I've been around cars that long and never came across a pair.

Capisce?
I completely agree with almost all of what you said above, and to add to that, who wants the exact same cam as everyone else anyway?

However, I am concerned with the phrase I have in bold above. Builds take time, and longer for some than others, a GOOD builder will take EVERYTHING in to account to spec the right cam specs and package for what their customer has in mind for their car. Why would someone be expected to do a cam swap when the time comes for their PLANNED supercharger install, all because their builder saw fit to spec them a Non-FI friendly cam because they deemed at the time it made sense? Surely you didn't mean to imply this.

OP - I strongly suggest you find a great local shop, use the local sub-forum or contact members in your area if you need help with that. Spend some time with the guys at the shop discussing your goals and get a custom spec'd cam. There are also guys like Kip at Cam Motion, Brian Tooley, and Pat G that will spec you a nice cam, that you can get to go along with your build.

Good luck man!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
FCinWV

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I will be going with the Night Fury for sure. I have heard nothing but praise on Lethal Racing.
FCinWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Lots of guys want to say go custom grind because they think it'll magically be better because someone pulled it out of a catalog. When we built the TSP camshafts we used the engine dyno to back to back test camshafts until we found exactly the grinds that made the best power for our goals.

I agree there is a place for custom grinds & we do a lot of them. However I dont agree that someone with no side-by-side engine dyno time with 30+ different camshafts can open a comp cams lobe catalog & bypass true honest testing.

Lets be honest all the cam guys here have: Long tubes 1 7/8" or 2", cold air kit, underdrive pulley, and usually catback. Sure there's guys doing different stuff & that's when we go custom grind. The cool thing is because we've spent so much time on the engine dyno testing that if we do need a custom grind to meet a customers needs chances are we've tested something similar & can give a good idea what your about to get!

The TSP 231/236 & 235/239 are perfect examples of this testing. The lobes are custom designed for the weight of the 2.165" valves & were dyno tested & developed to keep good p/v, be stable at big rpm, and spintron test stable for years of dependable use.

Here's the 231/236 and 235/239 side by side!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
My advise.......Why cam when you plan on a superchager? This is only my opinion. Cam for NA......none for FI. When you start climbing into 100+ hp gains, you get into a whole other world. It goes beyond the, " I can just bolt this on and go" stage. So many other things come into play. Take your time, do research and make sure you are ready to take the plunge and prepared to do the extra things needed to make it all come together.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I'm going with the nightfury in the next couple of months.
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I completely agree with almost all of what you said above, and to add to that, who wants the exact same cam as everyone else anyway?

However, I am concerned with the phrase I have in bold above. Builds take time, and longer for some than others, a GOOD builder will take EVERYTHING in to account to spec the right cam specs and package for what their customer has in mind for their car. Why would someone be expected to do a cam swap when the time comes for their PLANNED supercharger install, all because their builder saw fit to spec them a Non-FI friendly cam because they deemed at the time it made sense? Surely you didn't mean to imply this.

OP - I strongly suggest you find a great local shop, use the local sub-forum or contact members in your area if you need help with that. Spend some time with the guys at the shop discussing your goals and get a custom spec'd cam. There are also guys like Kip at Cam Motion, Brian Tooley, and Pat G that will spec you a nice cam, that you can get to go along with your build.

Good luck man!
^^^ That right there. That's what you need to be doing. You also have very knowledgeable vendors on this site, like the two above, that are happy to help you get your car going in the right direction.

A custom cam may be what's right for you; an off-the-shelf cam may be what's right for you. This is a decision that needs to be well thought out, and planned with your builder's help.

Don't let negative nancy up there dissuade you from an off-the-shelf cam. There are some nasty options out there! (and for most people's needs, they do the job well!)

Happy modding!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I went will a small cam. I don't get into the bigger is better fan. All my cam is really is a glorified hot cam and it provides what I want the most of. That's what is important. Look at what means the most to you, your top 3 things and go from there.
I cared for a good choppy idle, easy on the valvetrain and more gain than a LS9 cam everywhere in the powerband.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
rhodgesj

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss 6 speed man
Thanks for the advice I looking to do the cam now. like I said earlier I am not looking to put a over aggressive cam in. I am not looking for a huge hp all motor thats not practical for a daily driver. I planning to put the supercharger on about a year to 18 months after the cam. I am trying to get my motor setup so when I do put the supercharger on its ready for it and I don't have to worry about going into the motor. My end game is to have a 650+ street able car that I can go to the track and enjoy. Not to mention beat the pants off some for my friends mustangs haha

Last edited by rhodgesj; 01-29-2015 at 08:02 AM.
rhodgesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
icemans2k02

Drives: 2005 pontiac GTO 2010 camaro SS
I love my night fury cam, like you I spent months researching what I wanted to do. I lived a few hours away from Nick and them at Lethal, but after a lot of forum research and my ultimate goal I went with the nightfury cam. I am extremely happy with it and love it to death. The 5.0s that I normally run against arent of course as they dont stand a snow balls chance in ..well you get the picture. Good luck on what you decide.
icemans2k02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
dishonored

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
best cam option

Last edited by dishonored; 01-31-2015 at 12:10 AM.
dishonored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Lots of guys want to say go custom grind because they think it'll magically be better because someone pulled it out of a catalog. When we built the TSP camshafts we used the engine dyno to back to back test camshafts until we found exactly the grinds that made the best power for our goals.
Funny you say that, because the promise of magic was the deciding factor in my cam choice.

In all seriousness though, you a right. When great shops like you guys spend so much time on testing their cams, someone would be at a loss to not use one in their build, given the specs met their goals as far as driveability, idle, and gains etc are concerned. I think the majority of people would fit in this category, but my goal was a bit different than what most people are after.

I will note, when getting my cam spec'd, I specifically referenced the sound of your 231/236 as being the sound I was after in my cam.....pure MAGIC!