Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-19-2023, 12:37 PM   #15
v8fanboy

Drives: 2018 HotWheels 2SS 6 Speed Manual
At this point, both REAR tires are brand new. I have no idea what I ran over, but I have a picture of the tire. Seemed to be something invasive. I called Les Schwab today and they will put it on the alignment rack. Rims are not bent, they are okay!
Attached Images

v8fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
That tire has a lot of tread left. Did you have road hazard protection (which is often included with new tire purchase)? Should be good for 80% if pro-rated.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:17 PM   #17
v8fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Dumb question, but couldn't Les Schwab have shaved your new tire if tread was the issue? Surely shaving a new tire to 80% would be cheaper than buying another new tire?
Never knew such thing existed, nonetheless, I called them and asked them and their response was "this practice was done in the medieval times a million years ago, nobody does this in the country now".

It does kinda sting cuz both tires had 80% tread remaining. Forked out $750 to replace em :/
Old 09-19-2023, 04:18 PM   #18
v8fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
That tire has a lot of tread left. Did you have road hazard protection (which is often included with new tire purchase)? Should be good for 80% if pro-rated.
I actually bought the car as a CPO...I think that would be applicable to the owner who actually purchased the tires under his name?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:24 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fanboy View Post
I actually bought the car as a CPO...I think that would be applicable to the owner who actually purchased the tires under his name?
You're likely spot-on, unless there was some sort of road hazard added in to the deal when you bought it. Might be worth a phone call to the dealer to check?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #20
v8fanboy

Update:

I did drive the car today with traction completely turned off. It did not make a difference, car still pulls towards the right under hard acceleration (primarily if I floor it in the first four gears). If I floor it in the sixth gear, I do not feel the pull that much tbh. Also, one more change noticed; when I take it through sharp curves (not a lot of speed, like 35-45mph, not even putting the foot on the gas pedal, just taking it through a sharp curve, I see the traction light starts blinking. This would not happen before....and now that I have BRAND NEW tires, shouldn't the car be holding TRACTION WAY BETTER?

Got an appointment on the 25th to throw it on the alignment rack, will keep you guys posted!
Old 09-21-2023, 09:07 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Update:

I did drive the car today with traction completely turned off. It did not make a difference, car still pulls towards the right under hard acceleration (primarily if I floor it in the first four gears). If I floor it in the sixth gear, I do not feel the pull that much tbh. Also, one more change noticed; when I take it through sharp curves (not a lot of speed, like 35-45mph, not even putting the foot on the gas pedal, just taking it through a sharp curve, I see the traction light starts blinking. This would not happen before....and now that I have BRAND NEW tires, shouldn't the car be holding TRACTION WAY BETTER?

Got an appointment on the 25th to throw it on the alignment rack, will keep you guys posted!
Are your tires wider than stock by chance? Any possibility that they rubbed the wiring harness on the driver's side rear and damaged something? If I'm not mistaken, you have multiple things integrated together with ABS, Traction Control, and StabiliTrack. There are a number of sensors on all four corners of the car and something could be confusing the electronics (or the harness might be damaged).

You might want to get a code OBD-II tool on there to actively read the information the car is being fed when the issue occurs for a better understanding of what's happening.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:42 AM   #22
oldguy0130

Drives: 2021 2SS red-line Camaro
I had the same problem on a Volvo once. turned out to be a shifted belt in the tire.
oldguy0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy0130 View Post
I had the same problem on a Volvo once. turned out to be a shifted belt in the tire.
Yep... I had an issue years back with a set of Yokohama's that were basically brand new. It was aligned and everything was clean but it was pulling to the right. Swapped the front tires (front drive) and it started pulling to the left. Turned out to be an issue with the tire...
Old 09-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #24
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Yep... I had an issue years back with a set of Yokohama's that were basically brand new. It was aligned and everything was clean but it was pulling to the right. Swapped the front tires (front drive) and it started pulling to the left. Turned out to be an issue with the tire...
Road force balancing would have detected that before the tire ever went on the car… cannot recommend that highly enough.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #25
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I was coming here to say road force but assuming that has NOT been done. Yet.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Road force balancing would have detected that before the tire ever went on the car… cannot recommend that highly enough.
It was a long time ago... And I don't know that the process was that common at that time, so I would imagine it was never done. Plenty of places don't DO road force balancing, and even when they do - they don't do it correctly. I had to have the tires re-mounted and road force balanced on my brand new Acura TL (2006) three times before they actually got it right. That thing wobbled like crazy at about 75 because they weren't getting the levels down low enough.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:17 PM   #27
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Never knew such thing existed, nonetheless, I called them and asked them and their response was "this practice was done in the medieval times a million years ago, nobody does this in the country now".

It does kinda sting cuz both tires had 80% tread remaining. Forked out $750 to replace em :/
Yeah I think they'd rather sell you new tires instead. Tire Rack offers this for $25-35 a tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...drive-vehicles

I hope you get it sorted out, it sounds frustrating for sure!
Old 09-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #28
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Update:
shouldn't the car be holding TRACTION WAY BETTER?
Not with brand new tires, they are super slick until you wear off the release agent from the rubber. On motorcycles they tell you to be super careful for the first 200 miles.

I bet the alignment will fix your issue, these cars were not perfectly aligned from the factory and you got yours used so there is no telling what it looks like.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote