Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Whoa hold on here. You drove it for 2.5 hours yesterday and never thought of once to stop and pick me up to ride with you. That hurts a little, it really does. Sam, you're better than this.

OP, simple answer and great advice from the group. If you are going to truly track the car, the ZL1 is the right choice. If you are getting a nice car to have on weekend and enjoy trips with, the Z06 is the choice.
No the question is were are the pics. I'm still wondering how Dubai gets them before us as in the freaking United States where they are made and we have to wait until freaking next year. Now that is a bunch of BS.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Now that is a bunch of BS.
More like money talks, bullshit walks!!!

People in Dubai and Kuwait will drive $100,000.00 and up cars, it break down on them on the highway, they leave it there, call someone to pick them up, go to a dealership, and buy another one. There are actually places in Dubai that are set aside for people to just dump cars in.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #17
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
To OP;

One thing I forgot to mention is that, some people buy a Z06 (or other performance cars), beat the hell out of it and then turn around and sell it. A friend bought a Z06 with 5000 miles on it and soon noticed he was having problem with transmission (manual) and also found out later that he was loosing compression from two cylinders.

Upon taking it to another dealer for full examination, they noticed how much that car had been abused only for 5000 miles. The car was never broken in properly and had damaged rings which was the cause of compression leak and transmission was abused due to high revving in low gears.

This is one big problem with performance cars where you don't know what has been done to them. Even in 2000 miles, it could have been abused and improperly broken in. My cousin bought a pre owned (abused) Ferrari and it had oil leak during drive. Ferrari told him, they can't cover the fix under warranty, because it had been overly abused with high revs and the oil seals have been broken. He lost $33,000 selling the car after 3 months.
You won't have that with a NEW car.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
G37Sam

Drives: 2019 ZL1 6MT
Hahaha.. the one condition I was given before being handed the keys was to not post pics online I was more curious about the A10, SC whine, and the exhaust design (to see if it had secondary cats and a double x-pipe) to plan my first mods.
G37Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
G37Sam

Drives: 2019 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
More like money talks, bullshit walks!!!

People in Dubai and Kuwait will drive $100,000.00 and up cars, it break down on them on the highway, they leave it there, call someone to pick them up, go to a dealership, and buy another one. There are actually places in Dubai that are set aside for people to just dump cars in.
My God, the amount of misinformation in that post is unbelievable. Where are you getting this from?
G37Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Z06.

For me as I have always said to me Corvette > Camaro
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Having never been in a new ZL1 on a track it's hard for me to say. However, I did get a ride along in an instructors brand new Z06 and it's a wild ride. Not in a good way. It was always on the verge of getting away from him and the nannies were obviously intervening. BTW he's a really good driver. I did a ride along with him in his dedicated track C5 and he's no joke.

If the ZL1 puts the power down better with less oh s**t moments I'd 100% go that way.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
One of the nearby dealerships sold a new 2016 Z06 last weekend 3LZ Z07 for $88K and some change otd. It was an auto and they were trying to get rid of it as the 2017s are supposedly on the way. Auto Z06s sit on the lot forever here even with all of the factory, dealer, and even holiday discounts...no one wants one. Manuals are non-existent as they are pretty much sold as they hit the dealer lot...or sometimes even before, as they are typically special ordered around here.

So if you are getting a Z06 for $70K otd...with only 2000 miles(?...not sure how it is so low) then that's a great deal, probably still in the factory warranty as well

In the end, if you buy the Z06 @ $70K, your not going to lose much if you decide say in 6 months or a year that you don't like it and want a Zl1...just trade it in, the value will not go down much on that Z06 for a while
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #23
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
If you plan on tracking that Z06, cooling may be an issue to consider. More heat exchangers have been designed into the ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I did get a ride along in an instructors brand new Z06 and it's a wild ride. Not in a good way. It was always on the verge of getting away from him and the nannies were obviously intervening.

If the ZL1 puts the power down better with less oh s**t moments I'd 100% go that way.
You see,,, this is the sad part.
Z06 IS supposed to be the track monster, and ZL1 the super cruiser.
That overheating issues with Z06 (and some say the handful nature of Z as well) are actually ruining the main purpose of its existence.

To OP:
If it's your special occasion car, go with Z06. (Corvette gives you more "special" feel...)
If you use it more often, go with ZL1.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #24
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
From a Z07 owner.. Get the vette if it's a toy. If it's a DD get the Camaro.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #25
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Jeezus. Stop with the Zl1 or Z06. It is a no brainer. The Z06. All day, every day.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #26
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Jseller, let me give you my opinion as the owner of a 2015 Corvette Z51 and a 2012 ZL1. The C7 Z06 is a phenomenal car BUT having driven several, as previously stated, it is a handful as well. Even though I have tracked my ZL1 & Z51 numerous times I personally found the Z06 to be a fine line between fun and beast. It does not take much effort to find the beast lurking under the hood.

My ZL1 is one of the best all around cars that I have owned. Numerous times I drove it to a track, ran it all day and drove it home. The 5th Gen. ZL1's are virtually bulletproof, great brakes, excellent handling. I have driven it to several states as well and it is a great all around car.

The Corvette is my favorite car because it is a great GT car having the options that the ZL1 does not have like cooled seats with memory and better electronics. The GT seats are more form fitting but do not have the cushion depth that the ZL1 seats have. The Corvette has better visibility and far better gas mileage than the ZL1. With the built in nav. and better electronics it has become my long distance driver and the ZL1 my fun car.

The new ZL1 has all of the options that were not available on my 2012 model making it a better version. The only drawback is the smaller trunk space in the 6th Gen. Camaros. I have found the 460HP in Corvette to be all the power I really need and still have all the fun that I want.

Everyone here has valued, informed opinions and both cars will be all that you want in a great car. My suggestion is to go and sit in them, spend time in them. There are enough used Z06's in lots out there to make your own opinion. Drive the Z06 and see if it is what you want or more than you really need. If you are going to track either car car, stay away from the Z06 especially if you have any track time planned and it is an automatic. It has been well documented that the Z06 auto cannot handle track conditions.

I spoke with several engineers at the 50th Anniversary and they all said that they were aware of the Z06's problems and the ZL1 will not have those issues. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-26-2016 at 11:00 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #27
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
You see,,, this is the sad part.
Z06 IS supposed to be the track monster, and ZL1 the super cruiser.
That overheating issues with Z06 (and some say the handful nature of Z as well) are actually ruining the main purpose of its existence.

To OP:
If it's your special occasion car, go with Z06. (Corvette gives you more "special" feel...)
If you use it more often, go with ZL1.
Agreed.

Really, to me, it comes down to what jaymsu said on a "special car" or more of a driver and these other two points:

-Cooling (like said before; the ZL1 does NOT having cooling issue due to the larger front end.. =more air... and the very nonrestrictive grilles).
-A10 ("10R90"). This transmission is something else. I've not experienced one, but if it better than the 8L90...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #28
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Another question is do you have kids that you would like to take on a ride with the wife? There is not a lot of room in the back seat of the ZL1, but if they are younger then it is at least an option.

I am actually in a similar predicament, I really do like the Z06 and the specialness of it, but the ZL1 will be a beast in its own right and my 9 and 5 year olds could go for a ride as well. Plus the new A10 really has my interest, hopefully it will live up to the hype once into production and some people actually have their hands on it.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
z06