Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Heliogordy

Drives: 2010 2LT Aqua Blue/Silver Ice Rally
Brake Lines

Hello...

New to the forum...owned a 4th Gen. Camaro and loved it....am considering purchasing a 5th Gen. Camaro. I'm curious to know if any of you have had any issues with rusted brake lines. I'm a current owner of a Cadillac CTS, and after suffering a brake failure, I discovered that ALL of the lines, nose to tail, were badly rusted/corroded. I'm hopeful this hasn't been an issue with this era of Camaro.

Thanks in advance for any info and for allowing me to post in your community.
Heliogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First off, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, my car is a 51k+ mileage car and the only brake problem that I’ve had is that I had to replace my brakes due to use. A little too much spirited use but at least I was able to upgrade to slotted rotors and ceramic pads so I didn’t have to clean my wheels of the brake dust every few hundred miles.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
OK, Welcome to the Forum

Secondly... depends on where your from. High snow area where they spread tons of salt & liquid brine then you can expect rust. I am originally from New England (Maine) where we would have heavy winter snow from December into March. Problem today is everyone expect to have "bare black tar" roads to travel on in the morning! So the State and the Townships drop massive amounts of salt!

I have a 1996 Impala SS and a 2014 Camaro, both rides are pristine underneath, no rust on any line.

Indiana gets their share of snow so I suspect they also use salt. When in Maine I always had a "winter beater"!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Yes we get our fair share of snow and with it comes plenty of salt. Buddy of mine owns a shop and I’ve seen them doing a large number of brake line replacements. It’s amazing just how corroded these line become after years of exposure.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
Bought my '11 Camaro last summer from a 1 owner....has barely 36k miles on it.....was never in snow, and I damn sure ain't gonna break that record! Total underside is like new...not a trace of rust anywhere. (My 'Vette is also PUT AWAY during the el crappo weather!)
Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Many dealerships in Maine make low offers of trade ins that are ten years in age due to the fact they KNOW that if they don't put the trade in thru the auction they will at the very least have to replace every inch of brake lines, exhaust as well as potential patch panels. One reason I am happier in the south. Coastal Carolina has mainly FLAT roads and you don't need a snow shovel!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Heliogordy

The one I'm looking at is in Central Indiana....daily driver, but rural roads, so hopefully not as much continued exposure as in a larger city. Going to put it in the air first and check the underbody out. It will be my daily driver except for snow, for which we have a Chevy Avalanche to drive.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You need to do a visual inspection.

That being said, I commuted for years to the tune of 30,000/year, on salt and brine treated highways in Massachusetts and New Hampshire and never had a brake line failure. I did have numerous failures of brake line and exhaust brackets and hangers. If you attend to these on time, the lines and pipes will be OK. Being a DIY maintenance person, you get under the car often enough to keep tabs on this stuff.

But results vary. Some of the worst undercarriage damage I ever saw was on a car owned by a friend who used his car in Winter, but drove only short distances and parked it in unplowed spots. Even his oil pan rusted through.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
mcbuff52

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I was a auto technician in Massachusetts. Brake lines, exhaust, even stuff like dipstick tubes wasted in a few years. Cars were difficult to repair due to rusted everything!
As a tech., you become very good at removing broken bolts!
I recommend putting the car on a lift and spend 1/2 hour with a flashlight inspecting nooks and crannies for wastage. So glad I live in Louisiana, and do not have to deal with that anymore!
mcbuff52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Heliogordy

Update: Put the car on a lift and had a mechanic give it a once-over.....brake and fuel lines clean with no rust issues....mechanic said it has "almost not worth mentioning" slight play in a tie rod. Needs tires and brakes soon.....considering Cooper Zeon's...anyone have any experience with these tires (or the aforementioned issues)?

BTW...I'm buying!

Thanks everyone for your input.