Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Lightbulb Best New Budget Track Car?

https://www.chapmansellschevys.com/V...-PA/3307361233

https://www.chapmansellschevys.com/V...-PA/3305840193

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 01-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Both are the same car, diff colors. And if you're actually going to track it? Against who? Or for what? Wouldn't the SS/1LE be a better option? Or a 2012 SS/1LE?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Both are the same car, diff colors. And if you're actually going to track it? Against who? Or for what? Wouldn't the SS/1LE be a better option? Or a 2012 SS/1LE?
2012 1LE is going to be pretty hard to find
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Best budget track car? Wouldn't that be an older Miata or something like that?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I'm referring to new vehicles. Also, the 5th generation SS 1LE isn't the Alpha platform and is considerably heavier. I believe driving experience is about more than simply brute power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Among new vehicles, would you consider a Miata a better track purchase than a 2.0T 1LE?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I'm referring to new vehicles. Also, the 5th generation SS 1LE isn't the Alpha platform and is considerably heavier. I believe driving experience is about more than simply brute power.
this should get entertaining...
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I currently track a 2012 LT rs V6. I had to upgrade a lot of its components to make it trackable. Like brakes (already on 1LE), Sways(already set up on 1LE), tires/wheels (to handle the track duty, and for better handling; already on 1LE). The V6 has some awesome power pulling out of the apex's. Not so much on a long straight, the V8's will pass you. My 2016 V6 RS was even better, but all I had to upgrade on that was the brakes. No I couldn't afford an SS or better.
I have track vids on You tube under 12blkgray RS and see the RS at work, both of them. On Texas world Speedway, MS, Grand sport in Hitchcock, Tx.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Among new vehicles, would you consider a Miata a better track purchase than a 2.0T 1LE?
Consumables are still going to be less expensive with the Miata.

As long as you don't get caught up in doing something crazy like an engine swap, anyway.

Norm
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
this should get entertaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
I have track vids on You tube under 12blkgray RS and see the RS at work, both of them. On Texas world Speedway, MS, Grand sport in Hitchcock, Tx.
I look forward to watching your videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Consumables are still going to be less expensive with the Miata.

As long as you don't get caught up in doing something crazy like an engine swap, anyway.

Norm
When I saw the markdowns on the 2.0T 1LE, I immediately thought how fun it would be to afford one and track it. The Miata may be less expensive, but as much as I tried to squeeze and shoehorn into a Fiat 124 Spider, it didn't happen.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Did you look at the fine print closely on the "sale price". It's false advertising. If you get every offered rebate. Only if you own a Mustang, and GM Lease, and low credit score etc. Beside being unlikely to fall into every category it's a scam in that you can NOT combine/use some of them together, but they still add them all up to $9500 in their fake bait price.
I prefer the lower hp car like V6 or 4cyl on a road course. Easier for a novice like myself to drive better. Street or drag I like the high hp choice. Daily driver whichever vehicle does it all the best, price comfort utility, fun.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Did you look at the fine print closely on the "sale price". It's false advertising. If you get every offered rebate. Only if you own a Mustang, and GM Lease, and low credit score etc. Beside being unlikely to fall into every category it's a scam in that you can NOT combine/use some of them together, but they still add them all up to $9500 in their fake bait price.
I'm familiar with fine print retractions, but I simply posted the lowest price that I found. There are more online with prices that aren't as low, but have good discounts with viable prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I prefer the lower hp car like V6 or 4cyl on a road course. Easier for a novice like myself to drive better....
I agree.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:

Regarding new vehicles, yes I would. Also, no complex turbo versus the simplier NA setup on the MX5.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Regarding new vehicles, yes I would. Also, no complex turbo versus the simplier NA setup on the MX5.
Then what about the Toyota 86?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Most definitely agree. And anyone who knows track cars will also vouch for the Miata's prowess on the track. If you don't believe me go look at videos of experience drivers on you tube. Simply amazing how such a small car can carve up a track with 4 cylinders.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote