Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #15
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Just got message my package has shipped.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
Drsagacity

Ok. With the convertible, it’s awesome. As long as the top buttons on the divider are connected the top can go up and down. The modern spare, with full kit can fit under the lowered top without touching.

I need to figure out a way to lock the spare in place and keep it from sliding, but that means the spare can definitely stay in the trunk with the top up or down.

TBD performance
Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 AM   #17
Redhot6

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss
so where are you guys planning to put the flat tire after you change it???????
Redhot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot6 View Post
so where are you guys planning to put the flat tire after you change it???????
Trunk or back seat. would be really easy with a vert.

TBD performance
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Ok. With the convertible, it’s awesome. As long as the top buttons on the divider are connected the top can go up and down. The modern spare, with full kit can fit under the lowered top without touching.

I need to figure out a way to lock the spare in place and keep it from sliding, but that means the spare can definitely stay in the trunk with the top up or down.
It’s been a while since the last post on this subject, has anyone found an easy way to secure the modern spare in the convertible trunk? I have a few ideas, but wanted to see if someone had come up with something more creative.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
Put my modern spare in the back seat behind the driver with the seatbelt around it can't even tell it's there. It originally took to much trunk space and since I don't use the rear seats it's perfect there.
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #21
shoe5163

I was told you need the spacer to clear the 6 piston calipers and bigger rotors of the ZL1. So I assume you would need them for the 1LE also.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
RiverSSide

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Cool idea. I'v been wondering what to do on my car once it arrives. I don't like the idea of using the runflats for their intended purpose, because driving on them without air damages them beyond repair. So, once you get to your destination you have to replace (not patch) the damaged tire. But, you don't want to run with 1 new tire and 3 used ones, so you have to replace all 4 tires.

One mounting option from the review on the Modern Spare website:
"Butch Thelen (verified owner) – August 27, 2019
...Maybe think about putting a strip of Velcro on the back of the bag underneath so it wouldn’t slide around in the trunk I put some on myself now and it works very well."

Anyone else tried this?
Old 08-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #23
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
Put my modern spare in the back seat behind the driver with the seatbelt around it can't even tell it's there. It originally took to much trunk space and since I don't use the rear seats it's perfect there.
I like the idea of putting it in the back seat. How high does it stick up? I have a windscreen and wonder if it would fit under it. I'm guessing no.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #24
shoe5163

27" right at top of the seat.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoe5163; 08-22-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #25
Speedbyu

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Does anyone know if a spare from any other GM vehicle will fit ? Sorry i cheap and $300 is alot for a spare.
Speedbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #26
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I got rid of my run flats and just threw a tire plug kit and can of TPMS safe 'fix a flat' in the trunk for like $30 total or something. Mind you, a new TPMS is only like $25 or something, so even if having to plug and use fix-a-flat on the side of the road to get home kills the TPMS, it's far cheaper than the spare.

I personally could not justify spending $400 on a spare tire, especially when I have never, ever required one in some 17 years of driving before. I figure I can plug the tire if it's a simple screw/bolt or just call a tow worst case if away from home, which is free with my insurance and also an added benefit from Michelin as well (up to like 150 mile tow?) by installing their tires.

Any flat I have had was a slow leak that I found at home, in which I can easily pop the tire off at home and take somewhere for repair/replacement. Easy enough.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #27
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I am going to be doing the tire plug and Dewalt inflator route.

I would discourage the tire inflation goo as it rarely works and just makes a mess for the tire repair guy.

Interesting side note. There are 2 tire plugs. The black which can be found most anywhere, and the red which can be found at harbor freight or truck stops. The red is about 20% bigger diameter as the black doesn't always plug completely due to it smaller diameter. Good to have both on hand for sure. I agree with abandoning the spare tire purchase route... As it's pretty expensive and even if you had one, you would have to jack the car up on questionable ground.. And roads with drivers texting makes shoulder tire swaps just plain dangerous/lethal decision. I also have AAA. However, cell service is by far 100% certain.

My .02
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #28
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
I'm thinking of a long road trip this summer out west where cell service will be limited to none. I have AAA and I've been going back/forth on the modern spare vs. the inflator/patch kit for my 2SS convertible. If it will fit (as some have said) with the top down, seems the modern spare is the safer, however more $$$, choice and I'm not crazy about seat-belting it in my back seat (despite how useless that rear seating is!). Also, it sounds like I will need a spacer with a staggered setup? True? TIA
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote