Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Grimfrost769

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thinking of downgrading and trading in my 2018 1SS 1LE

Bought my HBM 2018 1SS 1LE this year as CPO. Traded in a BRZ that I had for a few years. I am not super attached to this car as I thought I would be. I enjoy it, but frankly I wouldn't be sad if it goes away. And I am wanting to start a family in the next 2 years. It has almost 12,000 miles.

I have been toying with the idea of trading it in for a car in the $15k-20k range. Like a cruz or something. Then before the Camaro model gets postponed for abit possibly; buy a 2023 ZL1 1LE, if I am still well off. It just doesn't seem like the market is that great for this car right now. I drive this car everyday and it is financed for the next 4 years.

What kind of hit can be expected should I trade in? Any advice? I am curious if someone has done something similar.
Grimfrost769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
People on the facebook page report great deals happening on ZL1 1LEs right now. Might want to just trade in for one and hold it. Also, have you used it for autocross or track yet? My love for the car grew exponentially after the first autocross.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Grimfrost769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
People on the facebook page report great deals happening on ZL1 1LEs right now. Might want to just trade in for one and hold it. Also, have you used it for autocross or track yet? My love for the car grew exponentially after the first autocross.
Not really interested in one right now. I am not attached to this car and find myself wanting something different. Until I am ready to buy a ZLE, which will not be for a number of years.

More so I want a more friendly daily driver and I am not as into this car as I thought I would be.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Well, it's winter in most of the country so the market for any RWD sports car isn't the best.

If the car just isn't doing it for you anymore I'd say trade it in, assuming the dealer will give you a fair price.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Grimfrost769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Well, it's winter in most of the country so the market for any RWD sports car isn't the best.

If the car just isn't doing it for you anymore I'd say trade it in, assuming the dealer will give you a fair price.
Yeah, I am in the south east though. It don't really snow here. Just gets alittle chilly.
The car is great and it is fun. That being said I'm completely fine with the idea of it going away.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimfrost769 View Post
Yeah, I am in the south east though. It don't really snow here. Just gets alittle chilly.
The car is great and it is fun. That being said I'm completely fine with the idea of it going away.
What about it don't you like in particular, there's a vast difference in having a M6 V8, then going to a 4 Cyl Chevy Cruze. I understand you say you are not attached, but is there something you are displeased about in particular? lack of interior room, refilling the car every 3-4 days, outward visibility concerns? It would seem as if you are wanting a cheap daily, and to potentially keep the 1LE as a weekend warrior in my opinion. That way you actually get some enjoyment out of driving it.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
It sounds like maybe it is more of an expense then you want long term.

As amazing as the SS 1LE is in performance, it is the opposite in resale value. These cars at certain times of the year were almost $8K to 10K off MSRP when new, this destroys the resale value.

GM performance cars (including the Corvette's) are great bargains for the consumer, but you have to know that unless you put A LOT down, you are going to be upside down for quite a long time.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Grimfrost769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
What about it don't you like in particular, there's a vast difference in having a M6 V8, then going to a 4 Cyl Chevy Cruze. I understand you say you are not attached, but is there something you are displeased about in particular? lack of interior room, refilling the car every 3-4 days, outward visibility concerns? It would seem as if you are wanting a cheap daily, and to potentially keep the 1LE as a weekend warrior in my opinion. That way you actually get some enjoyment out of driving it.
I don't hate or dislike the car in anyway. I get decent gas mileage in my 30 mile round trip.I fill up every week or so depending on if I kept my foot out of it. I guess I am just not that into it everyday. I have considered the daily beater option. But, as a long term expense it isn't really what I want anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
It sounds like maybe it is more of an expense then you want long term.

As amazing as the SS 1LE is in performance, it is the opposite in resale value. These cars at certain times of the year were almost $8K to 10K off MSRP when new, this destroys the resale value.

GM performance cars (including the Corvette's) are great bargains for the consumer, but you have to know that unless you put A LOT down, you are going to be upside down for quite a long time.
Yeah, that is what I feel is an accurate statement. The long term expense statement is also accurate. I am going to get a number put on it here soon. I will weigh my options.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I don't hate or dislike the car in anyway. I get decent gas mileage in my 30 mile round trip.I fill up every week or so depending on if I kept my foot out of it. I guess I am just not that into it everyday. I have considered the daily beater option. But, as a long term expense it isn't really what I want anymore.
Sorry to hear it, all of our priorities change through our lives and it seems as if you are at an impasse. Hopefully you got some enjoyment while you had it.

FWIW I put 13.5 down on mine used 2017 with 5k miles (paid 32.5 out the door), I expect to have some equity in the car as it sits. Think I owe around 20k with interest still. The lady and I are expecting to buy a house this coming year, but I had been saving for a Camaro for a few years.

Good luck on the future, maybe you'll pick up a C8 instead
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Bought my HBM 2018 1SS 1LE this year as CPO. Traded in a BRZ that I had for a few years. I am not super attached to this car as I thought I would be. I enjoy it, but frankly I wouldn't be sad if it goes away. And I am wanting to start a family in the next 2 years. It has almost 12,000 miles.

I have been toying with the idea of trading it in for a car in the $15k-20k range. Like a cruz or something. Then before the Camaro model gets postponed for abit possibly; buy a 2023 ZL1 1LE, if I am still well off. It just doesn't seem like the market is that great for this car right now. I drive this car everyday and it is financed for the next 4 years.

What kind of hit can be expected should I trade in? Any advice? I am curious if someone has done something similar.
Will there be a 2023 Camaro?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
DaveC113

Yeah, if you're not into autox, track driving, have curvy rural or mountain roads to drive on, the car would never see it's potential so why bother? I wouldn't want to commute in it, that's for sure.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
Smashn808

Drives: SS
I would try selling it private party first. You should see a couple grand more that way.

Past:
2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 6-speed manual
2008 Corvette Jet Steam Blue, manual
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Gray
2003 Corvette Z06, Black
Smashn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashn808 View Post
I would try selling it private party first. You should see a couple grand more that way.
consider sales tax. if that’s all the more he’d get, might be better off trading it in.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #14
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
judging by the for sale forum here, the 1LE needs its own section.