The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Good point. There's still a Cadillac fan base that wants sticks, my brother for one. He won't consider an automatic. If it's not also AWD, it would end up being a garage queen; those spots are filled. He's looked into ATS-V and the SS 1LE. So far, no go.

There has been no AWD manual sporty vehicles from GM. There has been very few powerful AWD vehicles from GM.

A streamlined engine line-up: Drop the 2.0t. For the CT4, 2.7t in V-sport/lux/p-lux, LT2 in V. For the CT5, 3.0tt lux/sport, LT2 in V/p-lux, LT5/AWD/DCT in V-blackwing (or called whatever, trying to picture it with a swan neck wing). Potentially making CT4-V rwd and CT5-V awd only. Anything with V in the name offers a more interesting trans than a torque converter auto.
If you need AWD to drive in the snow, you aren't thinking right. All that does is lets you get going faster ... doesn't do anything to help the stopping or tuning (which are what save your ass when things get dicey) The biggest problem with winter (as it pertains to high-value cars) is salt, not snow. A RWD sport sedan with winter tires will do just fine in the snow (braking and steering are going to be pretty good), but the corrosion from the salt will eat years off its overall life span. Hence the prevalence of the cheap 'winter beater' in Canada & northern US; its driven for 3 or 4 months a year, costs little to drive & less to insure. Then for 8 or 9 months, you get to drive the 'cool' car (which is pretty good for resale, leasing, or overall longevity).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #16
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I wish they would make the CT4 with a NA v8 instead of a TTV6. That car would be a real winner (assuming it comes with a stick too)

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
I wish they would make the CT4 with a NA v8 instead of a TTV6. That car would be a real winner (assuming it comes with a stick too)

The TTV6 in the ATS-V and the upcoming CT4-V Blackwing has more horsepower than the LT1 NA V8 in the Gen 6 Camaro and the C7 Corvette. 464hp vs. 460hp. I fail to see the logic here.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
The TTV6 in the ATS-V and the upcoming CT4-V Blackwing has more horsepower than the LT1 NA V8 in the Gen 6 Camaro and the C7 Corvette. 464hp vs. 460hp. I fail to see the logic here.
I think some people just like a good ole V8.

I think Cadillac was simply going with the trend in the market. All it's competitors had OHC turbo set ups so that is what they went with
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #19
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
V8's have much more character, a better drive feel (subjective, but imo), and they just sound sooooo much better. Driving is about the full experience, and a N/A V8 provides a better experience.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #20
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If you need AWD to drive in the snow, you aren't thinking right. All that does is lets you get going faster ... doesn't do anything to help the stopping or tuning (which are what save your ass when things get dicey) The biggest problem with winter (as it pertains to high-value cars) is salt, not snow. A RWD sport sedan with winter tires will do just fine in the snow (braking and steering are going to be pretty good), but the corrosion from the salt will eat years off its overall life span. Hence the prevalence of the cheap 'winter beater' in Canada & northern US; its driven for 3 or 4 months a year, costs little to drive & less to insure. Then for 8 or 9 months, you get to drive the 'cool' car (which is pretty good for resale, leasing, or overall longevity).
The winter beater. Lots of us have done that. On a nice day like today, some of us wish we drove a car we like. Some find a reliable 0-60 more useful than peeling out. Some will need to drive snowy mountain roads with grades. Some of us don't really drive that fast.

I'm annoyed with the idea of these new Camaros being something so precious. Ones that can afford the Cadillac Vs, it doesn't need to matter so much. I take it that these Vs will be rwd; new icing on the same cake?
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #21
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
V8's have much more character, a better drive feel (subjective, but imo), and they just sound sooooo much better. Driving is about the full experience, and a N/A V8 provides a better experience.
Yes, it is 100% subjective.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 02-04-2020, 06:26 AM   #22
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
The winter beater. Lots of us have done that. On a nice day like today, some of us wish we drove a car we like. Some find a reliable 0-60 more useful than peeling out. Some will need to drive snowy mountain roads with grades. Some of us don't really drive that fast.

I'm annoyed with the idea of these new Camaros being something so precious. Ones that can afford the Cadillac Vs, it doesn't need to matter so much. I take it that these Vs will be rwd; new icing on the same cake?
To each their own. Everyone treats their property differently. If you want to daily your Camaro in the snow, ice, salt and cinders, that's your choice. Others (like me) have a reliable daily driver, so their Camaro, Corvette, etc. can sit in the garage and wait for a nice sunny day.

Your money, your car, your choice.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #23
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Part of the frustration is these kind of vehicles need a boost in the market. Anyone here can throw out suggestions, good and bad. The uppers at GM seem eager to declare these segments are failures. And then, proceed to try telling people what they should want with something else.

It's almost like in that movie where Tim Robbins asks the warden 'how could you be so obtuse...?"
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #24
shaffe

Good to see that despite the total mismangement of what happened with cadillac naming and V badging and what not, that the CT5-V seems to be a hell of car to drive, especially since the regular CT5 was pretty meh in a lot of reviews.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...v-first-drive/

The whole naming debacle still seems like a bad idea to me, but this article kind of made sense of it. But seems like the CT5V drives great.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #25
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Wow, they were really impressed with the V. I hope they shy away for Blackwing on the true V car unless it actually has the Blackwing engine. V-Max is stupid too though.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Wow, they were really impressed with the V. I hope they shy away for Blackwing on the true V car unless it actually has the Blackwing engine. V-Max is stupid too though.
I just assume that both of those names are invented placeholders, not anything that came from GM. On the other hand, it is the same set of people who decided to downgrade -V in order to replace Vsport ... so I wouldn't put a lower limit on the stupidity of the name they apply for the -V replacement.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #27
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I just assume that both of those names are invented placeholders, not anything that came from GM. On the other hand, it is the same set of people who decided to downgrade -V in order to replace Vsport ... so I wouldn't put a lower limit on the stupidity of the name they apply for the -V replacement.
don't forget those same people also decided to put torque number on the back of the car in a unit of measure most people don't know
Old 02-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
don't forget those same people also decided to put torque number on the back of the car in a unit of measure most Americans don't know
corrected

Camaro Fest sub-forum