The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
A buddy daily drove a 2005 Vette for 230,000 miles before trading it in on a C7 Z51 in 2016. He got $10k in trade.

KBB for a mint, 10,000 mile, 2005 C6 coupe is $18k.

So ...it cost him ~ $8k to drive it 21,000 miles per year instead keeping it under a car cover as a 900 per year garage queen.

They plow the roads immediately here and performance winter tires work well in ~5-6 inches of snow. Drive your cars! They aren’t collectibles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
This! A good amount of Camaro/Corvette owners view their cars as these rare collectible cars that can't touch water, other than while being washed.

Mass produced cars aren't collectibles.
I don't think that most Camaro or Corvette owners believe their cars are collectibles. They are clearly not. The way I look at it is that there are better vehicle options when there is 6-12" of snow on the ground. A RWD, V8 powered, low-slung, pony car/sports car is not the best choice. It's your car, your money. Do as you please.

If I didn't have the finances to put multiple vehicles in my garage, I wouldn't own a Camaro or a Corvette due to the harsh, snowy winters in PA. IMHO, you don't buy a pair of pliers to drive a nail.

To each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Drive your cars! They aren’t collectibles.
Unfortunately this applies to many corvettes. Although its a niche performance model, all or most corvettes are alike, and they make them in multiple thousands of units; Therefore they will depreciate or devalue, and often they will not appreciate. With the slight exception of special corvette models, but even with some of them they will depreciate and not gain value. You can still get a good deal on most Z06s, and 1990's ZR1 could still be had in the low teens.

A lot of this applies to Camaro as well, except of course the special edition models. My line of thinking is the condition of my cars. My high standards crave them to be in mint, like new condition. My greatest enjoyment of my girls is returning to them in an unblemished state, where I get to enjoy them by driving and waxing them. But each owner should use their car to their liking, as a car is a car whether they're driven or not.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I don't think that most Camaro or Corvette owners believe their cars are collectibles. They are clearly not. The way I look at it is that there are better vehicle options when there is 6-12" of snow on the ground. A RWD, V8 powered, low-slung, pony car/sports car is not the best choice. It's your car, your money. Do as you please.

If I didn't have the finances to put multiple vehicles in my garage, I wouldn't own a Camaro or a Corvette due to the harsh, snowy winters in PA. IMHO, you don't buy a pair of pliers to drive a nail.

To each their own.
I had to learn this the hard way, but very, very few vehicles can get through 6-12 inches. A jacked up 4 wheel drive truck isn't the best option either.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I had to learn this the hard way, but very, very few vehicles can get through 6-12 inches. A jacked up 4 wheel drive truck isn't the best option either.
I have a '17 Cruze RS as a daily and my wife has a '19 Terrain Denali (AWD). She is a teacher and; therefore, when the snow gets too bad, she is off of work and I take her GMC. The FWD Cruze has never let me down, but for the deeper stuff (when people get too nervous to drive correctly), the Terrain is the way to go. Multiple times last year, people would get so scared that they'd stop in the middle of a steep hill (crying) and tie up traffic. If I had my Cruze, it would have been tough trying to get traction and momentum in order to get going again. AWD FTW.

As I said, I don't pay anyone's bills, but my own. I couldn't care less what other people do with their cars. Go and drive them around Unadilla motocross track if that is your pleasure. I'm just saying that there are better options when driving in the snow and hill-ridden terrain that is Pennsylvania winters. I wouldn't imagine that too many car salesmen have heard, "They're saying it's going to be another brutal winter this year. Where are the Camaro's and Corvette's?".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Before I purchased my 2010 Camaro SS, I was considering a Vette for a DD. I was looking at C5 and C6. What I found out from people who daily them all 4 seasons is that you need two sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter with really good snow/ice tires. In addition in the winter time you will NEED snow chains or similar product in your trunk for the times your out an about and it snows or ices over before you get home. Leave a little bag of sand or some kind of aggregate in the trunk to put under you wheels if you get stuck.

One more thing is that you will need to be scanning the road a lot, hitting a pothole in a Vette is pretty brutal. My brother has a 2004 Z06 and its annoying looking for dips in the road, steep angles, and potholes that opened up over the winter.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post

To each their own.

Where I live in Wisconsin, the plows don't let snow build up more than a few inches. With Sottozeros, I've been able to get through/out of the company parking lot without issues. I can keep up, or drive faster than traffic with confidence in how the car handles.

I bought one new performance car that I watched depreciate significantly while sitting parked and under a cover. No more.

I drive a Camaro every day because I can afford another car. My wife has a CUV for practical needs. My Camaro is my personal commuter car.

Its actually fun to drive a V8, RWD in the snow, rain, whatever and not care if it gets dirty. Its a cool, fun car that I'll use up and then get another.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Where I live in Wisconsin, the plows don't let snow build up more than a few inches. With Sottozeros, I've been able to get through/out of the company parking lot without issues. I can keep up, or drive faster than traffic with confidence in how the car handles.

I bought one new performance car that I watched depreciate significantly while sitting parked and under a cover. No more.

I drive a Camaro every day because I can afford another car. My wife has a CUV for practical needs. My Camaro is my personal commuter car.

Its actually fun to drive a V8, RWD in the snow, rain, whatever and not care if it gets dirty. Its a cool, fun car that I'll use up and then get another.
That's awesome that your plow guys do such a good job. Where I live the main streets get done real quick, because it's the only way to the schools and village offices.

It's around my office where they don't get around to plowing till everything else is done lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #22
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
To the OP.....where you are at, it wouldn't be the way to go....where I am at, where it never snows....no problem, as I have been DDing mine for that last 100,000 miles (4 yrs).
I'm in NW Ohio. We've been pretty lucky the past couple winters with only a couple storms of over a few inches. But some years, we have gotten measurable snow every few days or so. The more I think about it, a Corvette would not be a good choice unless I was to get a beater too, but who wants to drive a beater 1/4 of the year? I'm thinking a Camaro or Challenger would do fine with some decent tires. I'm not really looking forward to switching out 20" wheels twice a year though. I only have to switch out 18's now at my parents house. I may look more into one of those services that store the wheels for you and change them out for you if I can find a place with reasonable prices.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
When I lived in the mid west, I daily drove a '96 LT4 Corvette. I did find myself on the road during and after fresh snow storms a handful of times in those 5 years. Now, this was a C4, so it didn't have the stalibitrak or anything of real use in the snow.

I put a couple hundred pounds of sand bags over the rear wheels. For the most part I got along okay, but it wasn't fun to drive in that stuff.

Get the Vette, just put a couple of grand to the side and get a cheap beater to drive on snow days. Also run A/S tires until temps get consistently over 40-50*, otherwise you'll be buying new tires every spring.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote