Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
faSSteddie

Drives: 2013 Victory red/white stripes SS
How long to cool brakes during bed-in?

I am installing some Stoptech high performance street brake pads in preparation for Camarofest 6. I read the bed-in procedure on their website, which consists of 10 hard stops of 60mph to 10mph and then drive as fast as conditions permit until the brakes are cooled down then repeat. My question is: how long do I need to drive it until the brakes are cooled sufficiently? My car is a 2013 SS with no kind of brake ducting or the like.

Thanks, faSSteddie
faSSteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by faSSteddie View Post
I am installing some Stoptech high performance street brake pads in preparation for Camarofest 6. I read the bed-in procedure on their website, which consists of 10 hard stops of 60mph to 10mph and then drive as fast as conditions permit until the brakes are cooled down then repeat. My question is: how long do I need to drive it until the brakes are cooled sufficiently? My car is a 2013 SS with no kind of brake ducting or the like.

Thanks, faSSteddie
10 or fifteen minutes and when you park, leave it is gear, no e-brake.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
faSSteddie

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it!
I plan on doing both cool down parts of the bed-in on the highway about 20 min from my house. After I cool them down for the last time, then it is OK to get off the highway and to come to a complete stops at lights and stop signs on the trip back home right? Then you are saying to not put on the Parking brake even after the final cool down has been performed? I just wanna make sure I got everything straight.

Thanks again,
faSSteddie
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
JusticePete

Pretty much so. We are trying to avoid pad transfer. When you stop and go on the way home, stop light and easy and don't hold the brake pedal down. Just sit in neutral. The e-brake is being really anal. The rotor should be more than cool and not distort from the pressure of the parking brake, but what is wrong with overly cautious.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
faSSteddie

Successfully completed the bed-in process last night. Justice Pete thanks for the help.Now am ready for Camarofest 6!!
I am doing the Camarocross again this year (my 2nd) do you ever do ride alongs and give pointers? If so how do I set one up? Thanks again for your help!!
faSSteddie
Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Your stock SS brakes would have been more than adequate for autocross. I have the stop techs and would just put them on par with the OEM SS brake pads honestly.

That said, they work great for autocross, so you won't have any issues. They also make good street pads, i've been happy with mine.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Successfully completed the bed-in process last night. Justice Pete thanks for the help.Now am ready for Camarofest 6!!
I am doing the Camarocross again this year (my 2nd) do you ever do ride alongs and give pointers? If so how do I set one up? Thanks again for your help!!
faSSteddie
We'll have instructor quality people at the CC. Ask for me when you get there. We'll hook you up.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
faSSteddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Your stock SS brakes would have been more than adequate for autocross. I have the stop techs and would just put them on par with the OEM SS brake pads honestly.

That said, they work great for autocross, so you won't have any issues. They also make good street pads, i've been happy with mine.
I did not change them because I thought the stock brakes were not adequate; the OEM stockers were worn out and it was time to change them anyway. I wanted something equivalent or slightly better than stock to replace them with and the the Stoptechs wound up costing me about half the price of new factory pads as I found a great deal on them! I wanted to get them done them done before Camarofest6 as I did not have enough pad left to run on the road course or the autocross. If they preform slightly better than stock , I will be happy...If they perform no better than stock, I will be happy.
It is good to hear that someone else is pleased with their Stoptechs. With the increased demands on brakes on a road course, do the perform as well there as they do on the autocross?
thanks, faSSteddie
Old 07-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
I did not change them because I thought the stock brakes were not adequate; the OEM stockers were worn out and it was time to change them anyway. I wanted something equivalent or slightly better than stock to replace them with and the the Stoptechs wound up costing me about half the price of new factory pads as I found a great deal on them! I wanted to get them done them done before Camarofest6 as I did not have enough pad left to run on the road course or the autocross. If they preform slightly better than stock , I will be happy...If they perform no better than stock, I will be happy.
It is good to hear that someone else is pleased with their Stoptechs. With the increased demands on brakes on a road course, do the perform as well there as they do on the autocross?
thanks, faSSteddie
Honestly, I wouldn't use them on a road course, i'm not sure what kinda speeds and brake zones you'll see though, so maybe they will do fine.

I would just be aware that they might fade and to let them cool a bit if needed.

For me, they wouldn't last very long at VIR, I overheated Hawk HP+ pretty easily and the stop techs would only be worse.

Good pad other than that though.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote