Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #29
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
painting sounds good, but the thought of the sanding, priming, and making sure they make the stripes look right for a new Camaro kinda makes me cringe
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #30
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
I was going to add black stripes to my order this weekend. This is driving me nuts - who is correct???
Old 03-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suskam View Post
I was going to add black stripes to my order this weekend. This is driving me nuts - who is correct???
I'm almost positive, (I'm sure a dealer can double check this) but last I knew white and CGM were still the only factory installed stripe codes in the system. So to my knowledge the black stripes as of now are still a dealer install.

edit: if they changed the codes around I would think there would be a constraint on the stripes just like what happened to the Hurst when they changed that from dealer install to factory install. I think they just aren't focusing on the stripes yet. Maybe there will be more info about stripes in the coming week before production.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
JMAN311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Hopefully that fire has been extinguished. But it is taking them an awfully long time to make all the new RPO stripe codes available. Thankfully I'm getting the B7W FACTORY installed DOUBLE rallies.
Ditto
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #33
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
I'm almost positive, (I'm sure a dealer can double check this) but last I knew white and CGM were still the only factory installed stripe codes in the system. So to my knowledge the black stripes as of now are still a dealer install.
edit: if they changed the codes around I would think there would be a constraint on the stripes just like what happened to the Hurst when they changed that from dealer install to factory install. I think they just aren't focusing on the stripes yet. Maybe there will be more info about stripes in the coming week before production.
You're right, everything is still as before....until the new RPO codes come out. Unfortunately, we may experience the same lag as with the Hurst shifter when the changeover does occur.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
This is soooo giving me an ulcer....The GM at my dealership told me back 2 weeks ago that he checked with his district rep about the stripes and he was told that "ALL" stripes were now going to be done at the factory...My workbench still had it as an LPO code though..I just don't know what to believe anymore...We also have a post on here someplace stating that the stripes now are RPO codes....WTF?!!!!

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #35
JMAN311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
This is soooo giving me an ulcer....The GM at my dealership told me back 2 weeks ago that he checked with his district rep about the stripes and he was told that "ALL" stripes were now going to be done at the factory...My workbench still had it as an LPO code though..I just don't know what to believe anymore...We also have a post on here someplace stating that the stripes now are RPO codes....WTF?!!!!
All stripes ARE going to be done at the factory. But just like the Hurst it's not an overnight switch. I'm sure they will get something worked out soon....all we can do is wait for new codes and hope that pulled orders will still have the stripes sent out for people that have ordered dealer installed ones in the system.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #36
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
^^ Thats the problem..I don't want my dealer screwin the stripes up...I'm sure with my order already being pulled the car will get here with the stripes in the trunk....then the next week they will start doing them at the factory..seems to be about right with my luck.

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #37
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
painting sounds good, but the thought of the sanding, priming, and making sure they make the stripes look right for a new Camaro kinda makes me cringe
There is no sanding or priming involved. They just mask, scuff and spray. And if your painter is really good at custom work, he would first spray on an inter-coat clear and then spray the stripe on top of that. Then in the future the stripes could be removed without touching the factory paint.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #38
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
There is no sanding or priming involved. They just mask, scuff and spray. And if your painter is really good at custom work, he would first spray on an inter-coat clear and then spray the stripe on top of that. Then in the future the stripes could be removed without touching the factory paint.
actually you have to scuff the whole panal and then tape and spray the stripes then clear over the whole piece and then wetsand and buff it so that there is no edge. The factory clear would be your inter-coat clear. An inter-coat clear is for when your doing a complete paint job with graphics so that you can spray a graphic clear over it and spray another graphic overlaping the first one and there is no chance of messing up the first graphic that you sprayed. Painting on the stripes is pretty easy but it does involve more then most people realize to do it right.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #39
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
^^ Thats the problem..I don't want my dealer screwin the stripes up...I'm sure with my order already being pulled the car will get here with the stripes in the trunk....then the next week they will start doing them at the factory..seems to be about right with my luck.
Do what I did and hold your car back. Tell your dealer that you do not want it built until mid summer so that you can be sure the stripes will be factory installed.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #40
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
actually you have to scuff the whole panal and then tape and spray the stripes then clear over the whole piece and then wetsand and buff it so that there is no edge. The factory clear would be your inter-coat clear. An inter-coat clear is for when your doing a complete paint job with graphics so that you can spray a graphic clear over it and spray another graphic overlaping the first one and there is no chance of messing up the first graphic that you sprayed. Painting on the stripes is pretty easy but it does involve more then most people realize to do it right.

Thnx guys. i know any painter worth his spray gun can match up the stripes but what would he use as a model just a pic or something right ?
An just curious how much ya think that'd run ya ?
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #41
JMAN311

Quote:
Have you asked your dealer if they do it in-house or have a 3rd party come out. They might contract it out to a company that specializes in doing vinyl work and it could end up being as good if not better than the factory install.

If your dealer does it themselves and you don't trust them (I don't blame you cause I don't trust my dealer to do this type of install either). And if you don't want to have to wait for your car you could spend the money to have the stripes installed by a specialty shop. Sure it would cost for install but to some it would be worth the money than having to wait a month or more longer for their car just to get it done at the factory.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #42
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Starting with the ABM 2SS/RS 20" polished, I am ordering the Rally stripe kit and my painter is using them as a template. He will do a lighter CGM main color with very light silver/IBM ghost flame. but then again the G.M. stock is at around $1.80 today so I'm not holding my breath. I bought GM stock in 1998 for around $58.00 and sold in 2000 for around $78.00.
man times have changed!!!
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA VAPORIZER

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 02:35 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote