#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #71
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...are they gonna discount 4K on a used car?? Again, 26-28K is the asking price of a car similar to mine around here.

Good point, as a matter of fact yesterday I just asked over the phone to an Infiniti dealer (I texted to him the original sticker of my car) how much I would get for my Q50 pretending to be interested in the new Q50 Red Sport 400 and they offered 21K at a first attempt.

By the way, in 2015 I got trade-in KBB figures for my 5 years old Acura TL when we got a Grand Cherokee SRT (8K off sticker)...it took time and patience but I did....however they did sell the car themselves, I saw it advertised few days later on their web site asking 7K more than what they gave me.

I have both packages....the night of the failed attempt I run the numbers and for my zip code came out an average of 22.8K for trade-in.

I agree and that is what I will probably do...my cars are always kept in tip top shape so there is no reason to leave dollars on the table for me, I do not care about the hassle of selling it myself if that avoids me taking a huge hit.
IMO, the real trade-in (wholesale) number for your car is indeed in the $20-$22k range. The KBB values don't really matter to dealers. They do not want to take a car in on trade for $22k unless they feel confident they can retail it on the lot for $26k or so. Otherwise they just send it to auction and if the auction reports say the car will only do $20k well then they will lose money. They have to pay to tow it and there are seller fees at the auction they need to pay, etc. Plus the car is still depreciating so they need to buffer in a little bit of that as well. Auction reports actually list a projected value for the next month or so.

So, some of it is low balling your trade but some of it is protecting themselves as well. As mentioned earlier if they were not so discounted on the Zl1 there may have been enough room in the deal to give you more for your trade but it sounds like you were getting all the discount on the new car.

As for the Infiniti dealer offering an initial higher trade-in value that is partly because they are in a better position to sell it on their lot since it has low mileage, in addition you don't know the price of the Q50 Red Sport yet. If you want a retail price for your car then you should list it privately for 3-4 weeks and see if you get any interest at your price.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #72
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Unfortunately for every Californian like us that moved to Texas, there are 10 *****hat wearing leftists who want to flip this state into a high tax shithole like the one they had to flee

Anyway, OP, I had an offer for high 58s to buy a new zl1 back in summer, cf hood and nav, 10 speed but no recorder

Chevy may still be doing terrible incentives this month so ask around and maybe wait until they bring back all the free money
Yes sir...
Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #73
Johnny Camaro

Drives: 13 ZL1vert,19 ZL1 vert A10 10/24/18
I did went to Carmax after my Chevy dealer only wanna give me 17K for my '13 ZL1 vert with 89K miles on it. Carmax gave me 22K and a little store across Carmax (smart guys) gave me 22,5K and a free Uber ride back to my dealership to pick up my new ordered 2019 ZL1 vert. 5.5K is a lot of money for 15 minutes wait time at Carmax.

Just saw it's for sale at a local shop for 30.5K at Grant Motors Fort Myers. It def needed 4 new tires.
If you look on the web you know with this milage they're not gonna get this number no way, no clean Carfax and still a big damage in the drivers door.
Johnny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #74
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Hmmm, 4 year old Infinity... . Maybe in snow country that is desirable. Best prices almost always come through private sales. You can also find out exactly what it is worth to a third party. Good luck on your ZL1 purchase.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #75
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Camaro View Post
I did went to Carmax after my Chevy dealer only wanna give me 17K for my '13 ZL1 vert with 89K miles on it. Carmax gave me 22K and a little store across Carmax (smart guys) gave me 22,5K and a free Uber ride back to my dealership to pick up my new ordered 2019 ZL1 vert. 5.5K is a lot of money for 15 minutes wait time at Carmax.

Just saw it's for sale at a local shop for 30.5K at Grant Motors Fort Myers. It def needed 4 new tires.
If you look on the web you know with this milage they're not gonna get this number no way, no clean Carfax and still a big damage in the drivers door.
Givemethevin.com will give you more than carmax and likely any other offer you get.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #76
stkshft

Drives: anything with wheels
$4k really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Hold out and they'll be calling you back with a better deal.
stkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #77
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
OP - just something to consider regardless but do you get a tax credit for trade in value against the purchase price? That is, you would only pay sales tax on the trade difference vs the full purchase price if bought straight out?

I do not know what your sales tax is but if you DO get the tax credit for trading in on a new car as is done here in Ohio, that could be worth a couple of thousand or so in less taxes.

You definitely want to factor that in if you do sell your Q privately and then go buy the ZL1 with no trade.

Good luck either way!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #78
saturno_v

Drives: Sport sedan
Guys, thank you for all of your support but eventually the Cadillac dealer made an offer I could not refuse meeting my numbers where the Chevy dealer sat on his behind not budging on his ridiculous lowball offer for my trade in...

This is my new Black Betty (brand new, 81 miles on the odo when I left the dealer, MY 2019, fully loaded)...at least I'm partially part of the family (same chassis and same engine LOL)

This thing drives like a dream, the magnetic suspension is like a magic carpet ride....I definitely enjoy the buttery smooth feeling, the electronic gizmos (The CUE infotainment system is finally excellent) and the extra couple of layers of luxury (which you pay dearly for it compared to the ZL1)...I still have mixed feeling about not getting the Camaro but every morning when I look at it, I think I did all right after all....

I already put 600 miles on it on a road trip, the Recaro seats are amazing, considerably better than these on the ZL1 I have to say...

I feel sorry for the kid at the Chevy dealer trying to sell me the Camaro, he tried his best to convince the manager...interestingly enough, they are still seating on that ZL1, I'm pretty sure they will eventually call me back to try to make a deal...sorry guys, next time, be more nimble!!!

I already put an "LT4 Supercharged" license plate frame bought on Amazon, this is the way she sings....

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-16-2019 at 10:31 PM.
saturno_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #79
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Hard to argue with that!

Congrats!
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #80
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So I sat down with the salesperson last night, he did pursue me very aggressively during the last two weeks to make an offer.

A white fully loaded automatic ZL1 stickering for 69K and change, they were asking off the bat 63.9 on their web page.

I showed them some dealers around the country offering similarly optioned ZL1 (more or less) as little as 56-57K.

So I offered 60K (+ sales taxes) for their ZL1 or 60.6 for a blue one on the east coast with the same options plus the Carbon Fiber instrument panel trim, transportation on me.

I asked 22K, less than the average dealer trade in transaction price on KBB for my ride, a loaded to the hilt 2014 Infiniti Q50 Sport AWD (MSRP almost 56K when new) with only 37700 miles, one owner (me), car never saw kids in the back, etc......very very good condition, new tires and brakes.

The manager did not protest the offer for the ZL1 but he came back with only 18K for my car.

Only 30% of the original sticker for a 37K miles car, optioned to the hilt (from 360 degrees cameras to Active Cruse control, AWD, sport seats, premium sound, etc, etc...).
As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off, this was a very good wake up call, if I needed one once more, a sobering reminder of the folly of the "new car every few years" mania......it is literally money down the toilet.

I cannot even imagine the money I would lose on a CTS-V, the other car I was interested in beside the ZL1, few years from now

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

If you think your car is worth more remove it from the transaction.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #81
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Looking real good. Are those Caddy badges plastidipped/wrapped or part of an OEM blackout package?
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #82
saturno_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
Looking real good. Are those Caddy badges plastidipped/wrapped or part of an OEM blackout package?

I believe is part of the after market stuff the dealer pile on cars to try to pad the final price (it has 3M coating, headlight protector film, etc...it had 10K of extra crap on it on a second windshield sticker)...it does not matter, I like it but I did not pay for it, I made my offer based on the options I wanted, the rest is a bonus...

It took me 3 months of negotiations, I'm glad is done...at some point I had the Chevy dealer and the Caddy dealer call me several times a day....
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #83
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
IMO, the real trade-in (wholesale) number for your car is indeed in the $20-$22k range. The KBB values don't really matter to dealers. They do not want to take a car in on trade for $22k unless they feel confident they can retail it on the lot for $26k or so. Otherwise they just send it to auction and if the auction reports say the car will only do $20k well then they will lose money. They have to pay to tow it and there are seller fees at the auction they need to pay, etc. Plus the car is still depreciating so they need to buffer in a little bit of that as well. Auction reports actually list a projected value for the next month or so.

So, some of it is low balling your trade but some of it is protecting themselves as well. As mentioned earlier if they were not so discounted on the Zl1 there may have been enough room in the deal to give you more for your trade but it sounds like you were getting all the discount on the new car.

As for the Infiniti dealer offering an initial higher trade-in value that is partly because they are in a better position to sell it on their lot since it has low mileage, in addition you don't know the price of the Q50 Red Sport yet. If you want a retail price for your car then you should list it privately for 3-4 weeks and see if you get any interest at your price.

I love when people bring up retail amounts for their trade. Do you pay retail? No so your trade is not worth retail.

$60K is well below GM employee pricing. All that bonus cash expired on 01/03/19. Thise deals are advertised with every fathomable factory incentive. Unfortunately there are some incentives you would have to qualify for. Cadillac CTSV has additional incentives that ZL1 does not is all.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #84
saturno_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I love when people bring up retail amounts for their trade. Do you pay retail? No so your trade is not worth retail.
I asked the average trade-in value of my car not the retail value....basically the average a car like mine is valued at dealers in my area as a trade in so no, I did not ask retail...I would have sold by myself otherwise and keep the profit.

All these offers are BS if in the end you expect your customer to handle to you the key of his 4 years old 56K (MSRP) car, well below average mile for the age, one owner, in perfect shape for less than 1/3 of its sticker because this is what the Chevy dealer offered...I understand, they do not want to sell used cars, they immediately flip the car to a wholesaler which, in turn, flip it to a used car dealer.....so I have to pay for the extra links in the chain to the final customer....no thanks...

This is what I learned during this last car buying experience...I will not deal anymore with dealers dumping even cars of recent vintage to wholesale lots (I was not trading in a shot-out 10 years old Camry), not willing to do their part, meaning, prepping and selling used cars is part of a dealer job...