The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
benjamin.i.campbell

Drives: 2011 camaro v6 RS
Headers vs Exhaust

Im still learning about cars.
Can anyone explain the difference between upgrading headers and upgrading the exhaust??
benjamin.i.campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
benjamin.i.campbell

I did a little research and it seems to me that the real horsepower gain is in upgrading the headers with a long tube system.
Upgrading the exhaust is more for sound rather then power.
I cant really find anything stating that exhaust increases power, but expelling the exhaust from the engine with the headers does increase power
Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Save your money and put it towards a supercharger.
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
From my research, you appear to get more power from headers. It seems the stock exhaust is very efficient, as no kit I've seen can claim more than a honest 5-7 hp gain (which is within the margin of error on most dynos!). However, long tube header generally give you the power at the top end, rarely to never seen except on a track. Shorty or mid headers will generally give you the power in the mid range, where you'll see it more often.

Smarter money appears to be spending on a cold air intake. From what I've seen, you can potentially see 15-20 hp, usually peaking in the mid range, for $400 - $500. More power, better throttle response, less money. Looks like a win to me.

Of course, if you want enough power to actually feel, as Zimm888 says, get a supercharger!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
benjamin.i.campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
From my research, you appear to get more power from headers. It seems the stock exhaust is very efficient, as no kit I've seen can claim more than a honest 5-7 hp gain (which is within the margin of error on most dynos!). However, long tube header generally give you the power at the top end, rarely to never seen except on a track. Shorty or mid headers will generally give you the power in the mid range, where you'll see it more often.

Smarter money appears to be spending on a cold air intake. From what I've seen, you can potentially see 15-20 hp, usually peaking in the mid range, for $400 - $500. More power, better throttle response, less money. Looks like a win to me.

Of course, if you want enough power to actually feel, as Zimm888 says, get a supercharger!
I have a K&N Cold air intake. But headers seems like the next step to me.
Long tube apparently helps the exhaust fumes flow at the same pace. So its better if you can fit it all in.
I only have a v6, and I dont wanna pay 6 grand for a super charger quite yet. But BBK headers are 600 and ill see around 30 horsepower gain.