Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #57
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
SS > GT
GT500 > ZL1
GT350 > 1LE
GT350R > Z/28

At least the SS can beat the GT.

This is actually more realistic and accurate.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #58
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Props to Ford for making a great car that can out hustle the z28 at its own game! It did it with way more creature comforts as well which should be a notch in the cap for the Ford guys. I'm interested to see how Chevy will respond with the six Gen and the Alpha platform. They technically could build the same exact car as the fifth gen z28 with just the Alpha platform, and it should out handle and beat the 350R at the race track, but will they? If they do build a z28, will they put a different motor in it and add creature comfort's? Haven't heard anything about a DI 7L motor but that would be pretty cool if they did that. Doesn't even have to have more power either.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #59
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
SS > GT
GT500 > ZL1
GT350 > 1LE
GT350R > Z/28

At least the SS can beat the GT.
Hrrmm....there is something wrong with your assesment.

You have SS > GT, so you must be talking about the 2016 SS.....otherwise I'd say the Chevry loses in ALL of your comparisons above.

We don't know exactly what the 6th gen 1LE and ZL1 or Z/28 (which might just become one model) will bring.

But my expectation is this:

SS > GT
GT500 ?? ZL1
GT350 < 1LE
GT350R < Z/28

I think the 2016 SS with just a brake package is already dangerously close to a base 350. The base 350 is definitely not the same as an R, or even the TP. Put brakes, suspension, and gearing on the SS to form the 1LE, and I think you have a very serious base GT350 competitor for less coin.

As for the next gen Z....(whatever it is). Current Z/28 is already relatively close to the GT350R in track performance. But it lacks seriously in features, interior, tech...and just really needs to be more than just soley a track car. The next Z will have all the features we want (if we want to add them) and will also be faster than the 5th gen Z/28....and presumeable as quick or quicker than the 350R.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #60
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Never can get tired of this FPC's exhaust sounds.... even mildly cruising it sounds good. It's unique and both exotic & muscular at the same time. Heck I like it more than my Z06's growl.

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #61
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
This guy can't be taken serious , it's more like one of those informecials they show on TV on those very low viewing times
The ford sounds good , so does the Z but the bastard didn't put the mice/cameras on the Z during stepping on the right pedal
He had a chance to make a good comparo , but he didn't take the opportunity !
That dude sucks. Beard dude sucks too. Please bring Carlos Lago back.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #62
pmili75

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
The reviewer was absolutely painful to listen to.

I was a little surprised the Mustang was that much faster since it put down such pedestrian dyno numbers and the Camaro though a little heavier has full CF brakes and the DSSV dampers. Show how good Mag Ride has gotten. I'm with the guys that think +1 seconds is a lot.

I think it's important to remember Ford put this great car together on essentially newish platform conversely Chevy choose to breath life in what a a 7 or 8 year old Zeta Platform.
pmili75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #63
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Carlos is with Edmunds now.. Hes still doing vids..
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #64
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
Carlos is with Edmunds now.. Hes still doing vids..
MT needs him back.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #65
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my favorite part of all the ford vs chevy is the following.

90% of ford buyers are going to buy the GT350 which is slower than a Z28 but the fact ford makes a car the GT350R that 10% will own they run around in a circle jerk claiming the z28 is slower even though it is probably faster than the car they own ha ha. welcome to the internet.

me as neither a ford or chevy guy an just a little bit disappointed I will have to pay 58k to buy a car that is slower than a car that is ~55k or so right now with all the discounts. I am hoping if I wait till spring I can find a deal on a GT350.

I have had a 5th get though and will probably get the GT350 just for a change of pace or maybe the LT4 2017 camaro will be the car to have.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #66
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The car sounds great, looks awesome(okay subjective), runs liked a raped ape and has a beautiful interior with acutal modern conveniences. It's hard to knock this car without looking like a true fanboy. Car manufacturers need to one up their previous and their competitor's previous products to keep people coming back. Just like GM doing it to Ford in 2014. Well, the ball is now back over the net in Ford's court.
Life goes on and we all win. These are the best times ever to be a car enthusiasts.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #67
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
http://jalopnik.com/lets-start-thank...-of-1744779823

video:

Here's the head to head!

Discuss...
Merged

Next time you see something about the Z/28 you want to share, you might want to check the Z/28 section.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #68
URBAN LEGEND

Ford doesn't publish Ring times.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #69
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I would like to see when they do a time at VIR with Car and Driver. They have been testing cars there for years to give an American comparable to ring times. If they beat the Z by a second or more there, that would put the GT350R faster than the Ferrari 458. Wouldn't mind seeing them test a GT350 for a comp time to the GT350R either. No doubt about it, great time to be a muscle car track rat whether you are a ford or chevy person. Testing at a track with past set times, like VIR, may show the Z and the R to be closer than ford guys would like to see. Or it will show the R to be a 65000 muscle car that can bully expensive supercars at the track.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #70
ansibe

Drives: 2015 z28
Hi guys,
I'm new to Camaros, having just bought a z28 - "zed" 28 in Canada!

Firstly I thought the video was great, very entertaining at a small cost of some goofiness. Screw the stereotypes, the flag drop was awesome! I'm glad MT still knows how to have fun.

I haven't raced cars, but I did race bikes and I think 1.1 seconds is quite a lot. I honestly don't think there's that much in a 2minute lap between these cars. The cars have equal peak power, but when you're accelerating off a corner you're almost never at the peak. The z28 should have a small advantage I think. When new, I think the Trofeos should equal the PSC2 for grip.

I can't believe there's much between these tires, but I think that's the difference. MT ran their long term z28 against a GT3 a while back, and the zed got crushed! No surprise, the GT3 has about the same power, weighs 500lbs less, and costs 3x as much. Interestingly, Probst says the z28 is uncharacteristically twitchy, and speculates the tires are done. I wonder if this comparo was done with the same car ...

I'm not a fan of 'track tires'. If you're racing, then fine, get a set. But I'm not. This type of tire is very temperature sensitive, and after they've heat cycled a few times they get hard and slippery. When my Trofeos are worn out, they'll be replaced by a set of PS Cup 2s, or maybe even PSS. For those of you who haven't tried PSS, they're a treat! Amazing grip, ok in the rain, and last forever (relative of course).
ansibe is offline   Reply With Quote