Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #1
CamTaylor

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Consequence of aftermarket radio?

So I recently installed an aftermarket radio because the factory one crapped out on me. Something I have wondered is that with the factory radio, you are able to adjust vehicle settings such as doors unlocking when put in park, how long the lights stay on after the car is turned off, etc.

How are this settings adjusted now that the factory radio is gone? And will my saved settings become erased if the battery is disconnected? Thanks.
CamTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
whoanelli

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I suppose it depends on the radio and what type of enclosure you choose for it. I got a CAM 1 which does have door lock/unlock as a dedicated button. In my car, (2LT) convenience features are chosen through the center dash I believe, but I may be wrong on that. See my post in the audio section "new setup". I'm able to control climate etc. not only from my headunit but also can program the CAM 1 for dedicated buttons. Hope that helps.....

Last edited by whoanelli; 01-13-2022 at 08:36 AM.
whoanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
The functions will be gone now as far the options on the factory radio being able to adjust sounds and door lock/unlock with amount of button clicks, etc…Most people set them to what they want before they remove the radio.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #4
CamTaylor

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
The functions will be gone now as far the options on the factory radio being able to adjust sounds and door lock/unlock with amount of button clicks, etc…Most people set them to what they want before they remove the radio.
Mine are set to how I like, my biggest concern now is will they reset to factory default when the battery is disconnected?
CamTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:57 AM   #5
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
iDatalink Maestro RR kit or iDatalink Kit-Cam1 kit.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
NM2015SSRS

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Came across this radio a few days ago and now I'm eyeballing this radio which is almost a complete replacement for the stock one, it's a little over a grand. But, I really would like that 12.1 inch LCD screen. But it's over a grand..
Here is someone installing it --- https://youtu.be/xhHImCYe7Q8
Here is the site - https://www.digitaloctopusradio.com/products/dots-1015
Attached Images

Last edited by NM2015SSRS; 01-13-2022 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammer
NM2015SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
So much for the 2SS guys lmao. And you're screwed when android stops support for that version too. Way over priced for its limited life span and limited models it can be used in.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
THIS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
iDatalink Maestro RR kit or iDatalink Kit-Cam1 kit.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #9
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
Yes to this!
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 PM   #10
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The settings stay as they were when you remove the OE radio. If you go with the PAC kit there’s a separate module you can buy that allows you to change the settings without the OE radio. I can say that in over three years with the PAC I’ve never missed having the ability to change settings.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:40 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
Nah, I think every aftermarket Canbus dash kit manufacturer for our cars includes a way to adjust settings. I have the Scosche setup and can adjust everything that can be adjusted with the stock radio. You cannot just install an aftermarket head unit in our cars without installing some sort of Canbus adapter, whether it's integrated (Scosche, Metra, Maestro, PAC, etc), or not. You can't just buy a cheap plastic dash kit like you could 20 years ago and be done with it, unfortunately. You need to get something that has a Canbus decoder built in, this way you can keep your climate controls and vehicle settings.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #12
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Nah, I think every aftermarket Canbus dash kit manufacturer for our cars includes a way to adjust settings. I have the Scosche setup and can adjust everything that can be adjusted with the stock radio. You cannot just install an aftermarket head unit in our cars without installing some sort of Canbus adapter, whether it's integrated (Scosche, Metra, Maestro, PAC, etc), or not. You can't just buy a cheap plastic dash kit like you could 20 years ago and be done with it, unfortunately. You need to get something that has a Canbus decoder built in, this way you can keep your climate controls and vehicle settings.
PAC actually requires a separate device to adjust settings.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...acement/pac-up

Again, not a deal breaker for me - like I said, I just adjusted the settings to my preferences and never looked back.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:44 AM   #13
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
Did you ever have any issue with the lock/unlock button on the head unit not working? I have a Kenwood DMX709S head unit, and the touch screen controls for the heated seats and rear windshield defroster also don't work as well. The key fob lock and unlock buttons (separate) still work.

Also note that the door unlock/lock button on the center of the head unit, seems to only work when the door is opened and it briefly gives power. After the dome light goes off (if set to door open/close), the lock/unlock center console button no longer has power; that is, unless you either turn the key in the ignition, hit the locks on the key fob, or open the door.

I tried checking all the fuses and relays, which are good and mainly in the engine bay fuse box. I even checked the 2nd fuse box that's in the driver side of the dash, on the side of the fan vent; nothing. I didn't bother going to the 3rd fuse "box" located in the trunk, under the carpet and mats, since I think there's nothing related there, not to mention it requires the trunk panels to be removed....

iMaestro dash kit buttons not working
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote