Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
1 LE Trailer Tie Down

For those of you who trailer your 1LE to events, how do you tie the car down? What are your attachment points?

I was worried about front splitter clearance, but it seems that is not a problem. I can put an axle strap around the front side of the lower control arm and use that as an anchor point.

What I didn't see was a place to anchor the rear. The rear lower suspension arms have the plastic covers. I don't want to spent the time constantly removing and reinstalling these parts. I didn't see any other obvious anchor points.

I could go to tire straps that loop up and over the tire, but the "E" track on my trailer is a bit narrow for the Camaro.

Thoughts?
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I used the ZL1 addons strap points and they work well. Have done two long tows and they are rock solid. I do not like going through the wheels as i have pulled cars out of alignment that way, and the extra bounce makes the trailer feel unstable.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Nrfd79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I would install another section of E-trac it works so well.. No crawling under the car or worrying.. Just my thoughts
Nrfd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Nrfd79

I forgot I had a picture of it on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
Is that a MaxxD trailer?
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Any major suspension component or axle works fine. If you can get your straps through the wheels that works fine too. Just make sure where grab onto doesn't have any brake lines or wiring. You don't want to pinch those.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
I have the ZL1 add ons, and they are so so.... the rear ones aren't supposed to rotate, but they do on my car.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Nrfd79

Yes it's the Maxey Drop-n-load.. Love that thing
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Any major suspension component or axle works fine. If you can get your straps through the wheels that works fine too. Just make sure where grab onto doesn't have any brake lines or wiring. You don't want to pinch those.
Another good tip if you are strapping through wheels is to use a few microfiber towels between the strap and wheel so you don't mar or scuff the wheels at all.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I used the ZL1 addons strap points and they work well. Have done two long tows and they are rock solid. I do not like going through the wheels as i have pulled cars out of alignment that way, and the extra bounce makes the trailer feel unstable.
Have you really? I'm interested to know exactly what bent or backed out (maybe deformed a bushing from prolonged pressure?) to cause the alignment to change from that. First I've heard of it.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but i would steer clear of this advice. “Any major suspension component” is not a good idea, especially with how lightweight these components have become. You’re asking for trouble cranking straps down to a control arm or trailing arm. Axle is not a good idea either, if it was a solid Dana axle on a truck that’s one thing...but not an independent half shaft.

Even crossed through the wheels, you can see the components begin to flex. If you must strap down at the wheel, go over the tire with an e track. My recommendation is to the frame.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
Another good tip if you are strapping through wheels is to use a few microfiber towels between the strap and wheel so you don't mar or scuff the wheels at all.
I use the MACS wheel straps with the microfiber wraps around them. I haven't used them to tow the 1LE yet but I'm sure I will eventually.. the 1LE will BARELY fit on my featherlite 3110 (width) so I haven't tried to tow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
Have you really? I'm interested to know exactly what bent or backed out (maybe deformed a bushing from prolonged pressure?) to cause the alignment to change from that. First I've heard of it.
I've heard others claim that before also. I tie down my normal track car and the race car via the wheels and have never had an alignment related issue over probably 15,000 miles towing that way. YMMV of course.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Even crossed through the wheels, you can see the components begin to flex. If you must strap down at the wheel, go over the tire with an e track. My recommendation is to the frame.
I don't tie down by suspension components either, but I assume you mean subframes here? Without using the ZL1 addons kit (which I don't really trust because I haven't seen any engineering documents) how would you do so? Are there factory holes for T hooks?

I could install an e-track on my trailer, but since I've never had an issue via the wheels I likely won't UNTIL I have an issue, if I ever do
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Move_Over

[QUOTE=ReefBlueCoupe;10295701]Have you really? I'm interested to know exactly what bent or backed out (maybe deformed a bushing from prolonged pressure?) to cause the alignment to change from that. First I've heard of itQUOTE]

my first tow of my e46 i went crossed through the wheels and the car was all over the track (this was after an alignment). I took it back to my alignment shop and the tow IN the front was nearly half a degree off from where he set it. We put the car up and the tie rod was tweaked. I’ll have to dig up photos

He asked me, hey how did you tie this thing to your trailer? I told him crossed through the wheels. He mentioned you’re essentially putting pressure inwards on the tie rods when you cross strap like that. If you are to go through the wheels, go straight forward and backward so there’s no sideways pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I don't tie down by suspension components either, but I assume you mean subframes here? Without using the ZL1 addons kit (which I don't really trust because I haven't seen any engineering documents) how would you do so? Are there factory holes for T hooks?

I could install an e-track on my trailer, but since I've never had an issue via the wheels I likely won't UNTIL I have an issue, if I ever do
Yes, subframe sorry!

Definitely man, do whatever works for you just sharing my experience. I did not like how there are really no engineering documents for the ZL1 hooks either, however if you look where they bolt to, it’s to two subframe bolts. I just won’t go crossed through the wheels ever again after warping those tie rods. My other option was through the wheels, straight back and forth.

I was extremely careful my first time tugging on them, and if i saw anything flex i was going to bail but they were rock solid. I really wish this car had the slots for t hooks, corvettes and 5th gens have them. Wonder why they did away because they were wonderful