Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Color thoughts -- (don't shoot the messenger..)

Detroit Free Press:

By Zlati Meyer
Oct. 6, 2011

When it comes to car color, white is white-hot, according to PPG Industries, a leading international coatings company, which released its annual color trend popularity survey Wednesday.

Twenty-one percent of 2011 model-year vehicles around the world are white, bumping silver, which fell to second place, where it's tied with black. Both silver -- the most-popular vehicle for 10 years straight -- and black claimed 20% of the market, with gray coming in next at 13%.

In North America, white was No. 1 with 20%, followed by silver with 19%, black with 18% and gray with 15%.

These four colors are popular because they not only are available in every vehicle segment, but look good on any type of car, according to Jane Harrington, PPG's manager of color styling and automotive coatings. Plus, a car is a big purchase -- and an item that will be owned for a while -- so many buyers don't want to get locked into a too-trendy shade.

She theorized why white has become so beloved: It connotes cutting-edge.

"Silver, at one time, was considered high-tech, innovative," Harrington said. "Think about white. What has Apple (introduced) their product in? White."

PPG, whose automotive group is based in Troy, also unveiled 70 shades of automotive exterior colors for the 2014-15 year, including hazy sunshine, a soft yellow; pea**** blue, a rich teal with a sparkle, and ovaltine, a pearlesque soft brown.

A recent PPG survey found that 77% of car buyers said that exterior color was a factor in their purchase, and 31% said they'd be willing to pay extra for a color that expresses their personality.

Harrington's personal favorites include delicate sky, a soft green-cast blue with a little yellow, and chandelier, a matte-finish gold.

But what would the father of the modern automobile -- who famously said customers can have a car any color they wanted as long as it was black -- say to all these choices?

"Henry Ford would be confused, because I'd say, 'What black do you mean? Green cast? Black cast? A little sparkle? A lot of sparkle?' " Harrington said.

Another trend the 28-year veteran of the business noticed is the move away from a single-color car-scape.

"I used to call it the dipped look," she explained, referring to the days when everything from the exterior paint job to the carpeting to the leather was the same hue. "Now, we're seeing more color combinations and attention to details. Color is very noticeable in the marketplace ... When a person says, 'I got a new car,' someone asks you, 'What color?' "

Ashley Lindon of Canton bought her first car in March -- a white 2011 Hyundai Sonata.

"I think white cars look so classy," said the 25-year-old compliance officer. "I've had so many people tell they love my car in that color ... It's becoming more popular for younger people to buy white cars. It used to be more older people. My best friend just bought a white Ford Mustang."
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
'Too Trendy'...

haha

Do you think Synergy Green Metallic is 'Too Trendy'?

I thought it might be, but I don't care! I LOVE it!

AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
guess I'm old school, I'd love to see the return of "tahoe turquise"

I would never own a white car, silver is sexy, black is just a "bi--h...
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks for sharing!

I also feel that white is a great color and does make the vehicle more "classy". I also feel that white and silver keep a car looking cleaner longer.

But I'm the type that didn't want such a common color on my Camaro...and thus Aqua Blue was for me. I Love It!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
What a drab society. I love my IBM, gazing into the sparkling depths on a sunny day is something I love to do. White, black and silver just don't do much for me. Having said that, my white pickup is nearly invisible on the road, which has it's benefits as well.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Does that 20% include company vehicles like delivery vans?

My last vehicle was white, a White Hot G8 GT, and it was awesome. I hate white cars, but that car looked great in white. My new vehicle, a Jeep Wrangler, is black.

Honestly I don't see that many white cars around D.C. (except delivery vans) a TON of silver though.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
SSSugar
American Muscle Car Club

Drives: '11 2SS/RS Summit White/IOM stripes
I love my Summit White with IOM stripes and accents. You can do so much with white!! My first camaro was also white, bought in 1976 brand new.

1972 Camaro Z-28 (Baby), Haul Ass Orange w/black stripes, 350 crate motor, black powder coated wheels
License Plate: 2Cool Z

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Spice), Inferno Orange Metallic w/painted Summit White rally stripes, LS3 6-speed (HIS) License Plate: 2Cool SS

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Sugar), Summit White w/ painted Inferno Orange Metallic rally stripes, Inferno Orange interior, L99 automatic (HERS) License Plate: 1Kool SS
SSSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I still don't get that. I can understand black, grey and silver, but I think white is the most boring color. No offense to those of you that like it, everyone has their own taste. To me, though, when I see a white car, I just see a blank canvas. If the vehicle has stripes or something to offset it, then I like it a lot better, but I will always see white as the blank canvas you start with, not the finished product.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBear@SpartaChevy View Post
'Too Trendy'...

haha

Do you think Synergy Green Metallic is 'Too Trendy'?

I thought it might be, but I don't care! I LOVE it!

I'm right there with you!

Don't care if SGM is "trendy" or not, I LIKE IT!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
White is classy no doubt . My new Silverado Z71 looked sweet all white with the chrome package . But it was traded in for my Bright Rally Yellow Camaro !!!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I've grown to love my white and may have been converted from the blue camp. I wanted ABM, but since it wasn't available, I got white, but now I feel like white really would've been the right choice for me even if ABM had been available!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
dutchnrican
brevard

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6.
my dad hates white cars. he says that it looks like they forgot to paint them.

i like white. depends on the car though.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
I love white cars and have had them since 84. White, especially on the Camaro looks so classy as another member noted.
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Maybe I'm old, but I remember when Milk Trucks only came in white...