Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

Old 02-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
Mark1367

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE, 1969 Camaro Z28
Wtb Z28 Multimatic DSSV rear shock

I need 1 Z28 rear shock if anyone has one laying around. Or does anyone know of anybody that can service them? One of mine needs a new seal, oil, and charged with nitrogen. I’m about to give up trying to find someone that services them and just buy another. Let me know

Thanks
Mark1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #2
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Have not seen anyone service one of these and Im guessing you won't but most that have talked about the leak have either found used ones or just got new from GM parts. Or you could try to reach out to Multimatic and see if they have a service program for them available. Good luck
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I contacted Multimatic and they said they are not a serviceable item. They also said that putting one back together requires special tooling they have at their assembly plant.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
Mark1367

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE, 1969 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
Have not seen anyone service one of these and Im guessing you won't but most that have talked about the leak have either found used ones or just got new from GM parts. Or you could try to reach out to Multimatic and see if they have a service program for them available. Good luck
Yeah I’ve searched the internet for someone that can service them. I found one place that services Multimatic shocks. I contacted them and they said they do service Multimatic shocks, but not the z28 shocks and struts. I live a few miles away from afco and a good friend is friends with the head shock tech. He asked him about taking a look at them and he didn’t seem interested. I don’t see what the problem is. I can understand not being able to get some internal parts from Multimatic. But replacing a seal, oil, and charging it shouldn’t be any different than any other aluminum body shock. From what I can see, they come apart like most other aluminum body shocks, like coil overs, motorcycle, 4-wheeler shocks, etc. You remove the snap ring at the top and everything comes out. I haven’t figured out how to charge the nitrogen yet. I have a set of gen6 Zl1/1LE shocks and struts with bent shafts I can pull a seal out of. If I knew the type and amount of oil, how many psi of nitrogen, and how to fill it, I could do it myself. It’s a friggin shock for Christ sakes, not a nuclear reactor. I think the reason I don’t want to buy a new one now is out of spite. It just seems so ridiculous that these super duper special dampers that cost so much can’t be serviced, and you’re supposed to just throw them in the trash. The DSSV dampers that come on the Ferrari challenge cars can be serviced. I’d bet they use the same seal, probably the same oil and nitrogen psi. I’ll pull mine apart and see if I can figure it out. If I’m successful I’ll be sure and let everyone know. I’d also be interested in any damaged Z28 dampers anyone might have to use for R&D.
Mark1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #5
jimrhodes

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1367 View Post
Yeah I’ve searched the internet for someone that can service them. I found one place that services Multimatic shocks. I contacted them and they said they do service Multimatic shocks, but not the z28 shocks and struts. I live a few miles away from afco and a good friend is friends with the head shock tech. He asked him about taking a look at them and he didn’t seem interested. I don’t see what the problem is. I can understand not being able to get some internal parts from Multimatic. But replacing a seal, oil, and charging it shouldn’t be any different than any other aluminum body shock. From what I can see, they come apart like most other aluminum body shocks, like coil overs, motorcycle, 4-wheeler shocks, etc. You remove the snap ring at the top and everything comes out. I haven’t figured out how to charge the nitrogen yet. I have a set of gen6 Zl1/1LE shocks and struts with bent shafts I can pull a seal out of. If I knew the type and amount of oil, how many psi of nitrogen, and how to fill it, I could do it myself. It’s a friggin shock for Christ sakes, not a nuclear reactor. I think the reason I don’t want to buy a new one now is out of spite. It just seems so ridiculous that these super duper special dampers that cost so much can’t be serviced, and you’re supposed to just throw them in the trash. The DSSV dampers that come on the Ferrari challenge cars can be serviced. I’d bet they use the same seal, probably the same oil and nitrogen psi. I’ll pull mine apart and see if I can figure it out. If I’m successful I’ll be sure and let everyone know. I also recommend this bestessays service to you guys. Check it out. I’d also be interested in any damaged Z28 dampers anyone might have to use for R&D.

Thanks for the info! And let's hope for the best!

Last edited by jimrhodes; 02-22-2021 at 02:59 AM.
jimrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1367 View Post
I need 1 Z28 rear shock if anyone has one laying around. Or does anyone know of anybody that can service them? One of mine needs a new seal, oil, and charged with nitrogen. I’m about to give up trying to find someone that services them and just buy another. Let me know

Thanks
been down this path, my rear driver side was leaking ( leaving puddle ) at 5,000 miles. no one is interested is even trying to rebuild them, and the design doesn't help, having no fitting or ability to bleed or pressurize the body. I got lucky and found a guy selling a bunch of them new take offs from a race team.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
been down this path, my rear driver side was leaking ( leaving puddle ) at 5,000 miles. no one is interested is even trying to rebuild them, and the design doesn't help, having no fitting or ability to bleed or pressurize the body. I got lucky and found a guy selling a bunch of them new take offs from a race team.

Would you happen to have that guy's contact info? Looking for one drivers side rear DSSV shock.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
here u go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29520368550...mis&media=COPY
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #9
jcole

Drives: 2015 Z28
I have a set of rears
Old 03-21-2023, 06:57 AM   #10
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
I have a set of rears
Thank you for the great deal on these and I really appreciate you shipping these to me!

Good luck with the PT!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote