Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
My Vert experience & settlement with GM

OK everyone. Although unable to get a buyback/trade from GM, I’ve arrived at an acceptable alternative. What I’m about to list is a chronological history of my problems/issues and the steps taken to fix them. I’m doing this to say that I believe GM does try to please us to a certain degree. However, I believe that some service departments & dealerships make it very difficult.

November 2011 – Purchased the car in Orlando FL while on vacation (lived in NC)

December 2011 – Windshield replaced due to a crack. 2 days after I got it, my purchasing dealership told me it was a factory defect in the windshield, but I had to leave town & didn'tahve time to leave it for repairs. Dealership in NC told me it was from rock chip, but replaced it anyway for free. ONSTAR & compass reprogrammed (it was telling me I was in the ocean)

Jan 2012: New outer door swipes (window strips) ordered due to permanently creasing. Parts also ordered to fix “V” marks on both sides

Feb . 2012 (3 visits, 1 dealership):
• Door swipes fixed. Rear window motor replaced & invoice states the “top frame assembly replaced per bulletin E”, but service department told me they only replaced the fabric of the top.
• # 5 bow replaced, Headliner re-attached & weather stripping reinstalled into “J” channel

March 2012:
• RR speaker replaced due to bad connector. “V” mark appearing again

June 2012:
• Weatherstrip on 5th bow (base of convertible top in rear) replaced due to misalignment

Now, between June 2012 & Jan 2013, I contacted the BBB & got an extended warranty that went for 3 years/30,000 miles from the date of issue. In Jan 2013 I moved to FL.

March 2013:
• Contacted FL lemon law offices, who sent claim to NC lemon office since car was still registered in NC.
• Hole appearing in roof above driver seat. This was from the top flapping against the rear frame when lowered. The dealership messed up the install & put on my invoice that I had “manually adjust support straps when raising/lowering top. Needless to say I took it to another dealership, who fixed it properly.

All time involved in repairs kept the car from me for approx. 7 weeks. I just got a settlement agreement from GM. $2,700 cash for me & $2,500 for the lawyers. At this point, my extended warranty is still intact and I know I can’t get anything else from GM.

I hope this helps anyone who may be having problems. This was not meant to give anyone any kind of leverage (hey GM, you did THIS for one guy, why don’t you do it for ME?) to get GM to give them anything. Each case is different and will get different responses from GM.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
classicrockr,

Thanks for the update. I hope you can start enjoying the convertible now!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Those are "real" dollars... glad you have some satisfaction. I have been watching your story for a while now.

I do miss my vert sometimes.... of course I don't miss the hassle that owning a first run caused.

Thanks for the update.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Since we are sharing stories here is mine.
Took delivery of my 2012 1SS on 8/4/11.
On 8/5/11 the passenger seat bottom tore. Parts were ordered and fabric finally came in on 8/18. Took two days to repair.
On 9/20 my right rear window regulator was replaced which took 4 days.
9/29 my top was replaced another 3 days.
10/7 the paint chipping off the door edges was fixed.
On 10/13 it went back in for the other rear window regulator, the rear window trim, brake reservoir was leaking, top handle was broken.
Picked up on 11/1 to put car in storage.
Parts finally came in on 12/1 while car was in storage.
By 12/1 the car was out of service and waiting on parts for a total of 40 days.
2/14/12 took car out of storage to get issues that were waiting on parts fixed.
Was awarded a buyback on 2/14/12 when I got to the dealership.
Picked up car on 4/17/12 with the car fixed.
In total waiting on parts and out of service was a total of 101 days. On a car I got to drive less than 3 months.

Picked up new car on 4/12/12 and drove until 11/1/12. No issues with the new 1SS Vert yet. Only in for two oil changes.
"Green Flash"

Last edited by 95birdible; 04-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Since we are sharing stories here is mine.
Took delivery of my 2012 1SS on 8/4/11.
On 8/5/11 the passenger seat bottom tore. Parts were ordered and fabric finally came in on 8/18. Took two days to repair.
On 9/20 my right rear window regulator was replaced which took 4 days.
9/29 my top was replaced another 3 days.
10/7 the paint chipping off the door edges was fixed.
On 10/13 it went back in for the other rear window regulator, the rear window trim, brake reservoir was leaking, top handle was broken.
Picked up on 11/1 to put car in storage.
Parts finally came in on 12/1 while car was in storage.
By 12/1 the car was out of service and waiting on parts for a total of 40 days.
2/14/12 took car out of storage to get issues that were waiting on parts fixed.
Was awarded a buyback on 2/14/12 when I got to the dealership.
Picked up car on 4/17 with the car fixed.
In total waiting on parts and out of service was a total of 101 days. On a car I got to drive less than 3 months.

Picked up new car on 4/12/13 and drove until 11/1/13. No issues with the new 1SS Vert yet. Only in for two oil changes.
I think you may want to edit those last two dates, I don't think 11/1/13 has come yet. Unless your back from the future.

Classicrockr, I hope you have seen the last of the issues and can finally enjoy some beautiful top down driving.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Picked up new car on 4/12/13 and drove until 11/1/13.
Tell me, are we in for a really hot Summer? And where's the Dow headed?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
[QUOTE=95birdible;6465669]Picked up new car on 4/12/13 and drove until 11/1/13.

I did not see a flux capacitor as an available option for the camaro...LOL
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Thanks for sharing, painful as it may be. I remember all of TramTwo's saga, worst being his car left out during the hurricane at the dealership for top issues.

The success stories above are a testament to persistence, not giving up on the issue, and following through, calm and collected. GM personnel are just like you and I, people, and you can't believe how much difference a service person, be it at the dealership, or corporate customer service will treat a calm, rational person with a solid case than someone ranting and raving and swearing, without documentation and a paper trail to follow.

Stated it before, but I was a Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) for 6 months on an internship whilst doing my MBA. Most CRM's are young people like that Brandon who used to lurk around here, not sure if he is still around. Anyways, most CRM's are trying to do a good job but the turnover rate is about 30%, so if everytime you call and give your case #, it is probably someone different than the last time you called. That is okay, may be better in some cases. They will pull up your file and if you build a convincing case, they will "make you whole". I personally authorized a buyback on a lemon Vette, boss was pissed until the guy went to the local TV station and went off on how great GM customer service was and then his tune changed. Such is life.

Good luck to all of our verts, my tops is still aces.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Edited my post. Guess it is just wishful thinking being that we are still frozen solid up here in Minnesota.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote