Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Camaro Rules

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Changing Brake Calipers

Hello,
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but you never know unless you ask and I would rather be sure! lol

I have a 2017 2LT RS, with stock 4 piston calipers that came with the car. I have a friend who is willing to give me a set of...50th Anniversary Front Calipers for my car. They came off a 2LT with the 50th Anniversary package. I really like the orange calipers and think they would look good on my camaro.

Anyone know if they will fit/switch out, OK?

What else would be needed?

I tried calling 2 local dealerships but they were more confused than I am! LOL

I cannot see how they would be that different just need to make sure before going through all the steps and it not work.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
borrow the calipers - take a wheel off and take a look for yourself - do they look the same?
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Camaro Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
borrow the calipers - take a wheel off and take a look for yourself - do they look the same?

Not Doable...Thanks though

1. Calipers need to be shipped to me.
2. Winter here in New England and snow all over ground, no garage. lol
3. Car in storage
4. Disabled Veteran and do not have the physical capabilties to tackle something like this.

Why I was hoping someone could help me, so I would not have to take it to a dealer and have to pay for labor and it not work....If not...no problem...Never know unless you ask!

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
While I can't give a surefire answer, though they should be the same (IIRC the 50th anniversary edition had the RS wheels, tires and brakes), I do want to thank you for your service, Sir.

Hope someone will be able to help you out with the swap.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Rules View Post
Not Doable...Thanks though

1. Calipers need to be shipped to me.
2. Winter here in New England and snow all over ground, no garage. lol
3. Car in storage
4. Disabled Veteran and do not have the physical capabilties to tackle something like this.

Why I was hoping someone could help me, so I would not have to take it to a dealer and have to pay for labor and it not work....If not...no problem...Never know unless you ask!

Thanks again!
Where in N.E. are you? I would think they would match/swap out but IDK honestly. Hopefully someone who knows for certain chimes in! But, you would obviously need some fresh brake fluid too to flush/bleed after the install. So if they are willing to be given to you take them, especially if free. Maybe I could help you once you get the 50th calipers to confirm fitment and maybe ultimately help with the install too if you're close by?? LMK
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I gather you have the Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake package if you have the black Brembo 4 piston calipers up front? If so, then judging by the looks and specs, they should be the same...

Brembo 4 piston caliper - black:
https://www.apcautotech.com/part-det...t&model=camaro

Brembo 4 piston caliper - 50th Anniversary:
https://www.apcautotech.com/part-det...t&model=camaro
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Camaro Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
While I can't give a surefire answer, though they should be the same (IIRC the 50th anniversary edition had the RS wheels, tires and brakes), I do want to thank you for your service, Sir.

Hope someone will be able to help you out with the swap.

Thank you arpad_m...I appreciate the reply and I feel the same... I cant see why they wouldn't work, with both being 2LTs with 20" wheels.

Your Welcome and it was an "Honor" to serve, Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Where in N.E. are you? I would think they would match/swap out but IDK honestly. Hopefully someone who knows for certain chimes in! But, you would obviously need some fresh brake fluid too to flush/bleed after the install. So if they are willing to be given to you take them, especially if free. Maybe I could help you once you get the 50th calipers to confirm fitment and maybe ultimately help with the install too if you're close by?? LMK
Hello driven2exceSS!

I am in the Twilight Zone of New England! lol I am in actually in Maine.

I am not sure either, as the part numbers do not match any searches.

Even when I called the dealerships they didn't recognize the numbers...

BUT...

They are out there, for sale but with different part numbers from AC Delco @ $300+ each! They look the same but who knows if they are the same. lol

I appreciate your offer to help and if I decide to go ahead and get them, I may take you up on that offer!

Where are you in MA? I know MA very well, in my younger days I used to drive Tractor-Trailer, and deliver groceries to the local Stop & Shops, Big Y and other grocery stores. I don't get down there much anymore, as my...EXE lives there and I don't like being anywhere near her! LOL

Thanks for your reply and offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I gather you have the Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake package if you have the black Brembo 4 piston calipers up front? If so, then judging by the looks and specs, they should be the same...
Hello Whitespeed!

I don't think mine are Black...I cannot see or look at them, as its in storage, but I believe they are gray...I may be wrong. But even if just stock 4 piston Brembo calipers are on it...it seems any 2LTs with the RS package would have the same specs and whatnot as a 2LT RS 50th Anniversary. I mean it is only a trim package. correct?

I was hoping someone in the...Club Fifty...would chime in. Unless they all have an SS! LOL

I really appreciate all your help and replies, I would really like to know for sure one way or another but may have to just take a leap of faith and try!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Hello driven2exceSS!

I am in the Twilight Zone of New England! lol I am in actually in Maine.

I am not sure either, as the part numbers do not match any searches.

Even when I called the dealerships they didn't recognize the numbers...

BUT...

They are out there, for sale but with different part numbers from AC Delco @ $300+ each! They look the same but who knows if they are the same. lol

I appreciate your offer to help and if I decide to go ahead and get them, I may take you up on that offer!

Where are you in MA? I know MA very well, in my younger days I used to drive Tractor-Trailer, and deliver groceries to the local Stop & Shops, Big Y and other grocery stores. I don't get down there much anymore, as my...EXE lives there and I don't like being anywhere near her! LOL

Thanks for your reply and offer!
495 belt in Westford,MA. Shoot me a PM if you do end deciding to Sir, glad to help. Also, I can empathize the EX thing totally, believe me!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
Whitespeed

Quote:
Hello Whitespeed!

I don't think mine are Black...I cannot see or look at them, as its in storage, but I believe they are gray...I may be wrong. But even if just stock 4 piston Brembo calipers are on it...it seems any 2LTs with the RS package would have the same specs and whatnot as a 2LT RS 50th Anniversary. I mean it is only a trim package. correct?
The base calipers on a 2LT are single piston, floating calipers and look like this...

The RS package does not include the 4 piston Brembo's. You have to add the Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake package option to the RS package separately to get them (however, you can't get the Brembo's without the RS package). If you have the window sticker, that should tell you which options came with the car if you can't visually check right now.

If you do not have the Brembo package, all is not lost. You should still be able to swap to the Brembo's but you will also need new rotors. The single piston calipers use a 12.6" rotor. The 4 piston Brembo calipers use a 13.6" rotor. You will of course also need pads/hardware if they don't come with the calipers.

Keep in mind, I'm going by catalog info, not hands-on experience with these parts.

Nigel
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #10
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:

I was hoping someone in the...Club Fifty...would chime in. Unless they all have an SS! LOL
Thank you for your service!!!

I own a 2017 F1FTY 2.0T and all of the I4 and V6 (50th Anniversary models) are 2LTs with the RS Package. According to the brochure they are 4-piston Brembos. I do not have the heavy duty braking and cooling (I have the build sheet on an e-mail but I cannot access as my e-mails were hacked. Once I get access I can double confirm).

Sorry, I can't be more help and can't stop by to discuss as I'm on the West Coast

Good Luck!
Attached Images

lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
I own a 2017 F1FTY 2.0T and all of the I4 and V6 (50th Anniversary models) are 2LTs with the RS Package. According to the brochure they are 4-piston Brembos. I do not have the heavy duty braking and cooling (I have the build sheet on an e-mail but I cannot access as my e-mails were hacked. Once I get access I can double confirm).
If you have the 50th Anniversary model, it looks like the 4 piston Brembos are included with that package. But otherwise, you have to add the Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake option to the RS package (non-50th Anniversary) to get the 4 piston Brembos.

Nigel
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
If you have the 50th Anniversary model, it looks like the 4 piston Brembos are included with that package. But otherwise, you have to add the Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake option to the RS package (non-50th Anniversary) to get the 4 piston Brembos.

Nigel
Yes...you are correct and it's noted in the 2017 Brochure. I should have looked at the brake options before posting up earlier
Attached Images

lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
Camaro Rules

Thank you all for your replies and Information, I really Appreciate all your help!

I am the second owner of this car, and the RPO code list was not on the trunk lid, so I have no idea, if it actually has HD Brakes/Cooling.

I am going to call a dealership tomorrow and see if I can get a list for my car...I already emailed GM to try and get one.

I cannot physically get to the car to look and see what calipers I have on it. I only had it about 6 weeks, before I had to put it in storage. I honestly didn't pay attention to the calipers, because the brakes are/were great! lol I just want to dress her up and make her mine.

I am very confused about one thing...

I have a... My Chevrolet... account and APP... Under the Performance Tab...You can buy a 6 Piston Brembo Kit ( @ $3100! tho) with bigger rotors and pads, that can go on my Camaro. If that is the case, why wont a 4 piston Brembo system work? Kind of makes you go...Hmmm?! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
Thank you for your service!!!

No thanks are needed, it was an "Honor" to serve! That being said... I do, Appreciate your...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
495 belt in Westford,MA. Shoot me a PM if you do end deciding to Sir, glad to help. Also, I can empathize the EX thing totally, believe me!!

Been thru there, many a times! I will do that sir! Once again, I appreciate your offer! We already are kindred spirits...both have Camaros, we Love, and both have Exes, and do not like them!

Thanks again for everyones help, replies and information. I love my car but if I cannot upgrade it to make it mine, she may have to go and I will know what to look for, next time!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
Whitespeed

Quote:
I am very confused about one thing...

I have a... My Chevrolet... account and APP... Under the Performance Tab...You can buy a 6 Piston Brembo Kit ( @ $3100! tho) with bigger rotors and pads, that can go on my Camaro. If that is the case, why wont a 4 piston Brembo system work? Kind of makes you go...Hmmm?! lol
I don't follow you? I don't recall anyone here saying the 4 piston Brembo brakes wont work? You can order them as an add on option to the RS package, and I forgot to mention that they also come standard with the 1LE package.

Nigel