Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
DIY: make your own replacement Windshield Washer Bottle

This is a DIY for those of you who have installed an air scoop for a cold air intake, and have lost the option to wash your windshield as a result. This is an easy to follow pdf guide with lots of pictures.

The write-up is also available starting at post #7.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY Wash Bottle.pdf (2.17 MB, 496 views)

Last edited by yzark99; 03-01-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fixed typos
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Thanks for the write up. I don't download files from none secure sources. No offense meant at all. Very interested in this. Can you paste into the forum please?
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

The pdf was uploaded and attached through this same page on C5, so it should be secure. It has now also been posted in this thread as pictures and info.

Last edited by yzark99; 03-01-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: updates
Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
This is an interesting idea, but why not just get the Apex washer bottle relocation tank? I have it. It's a half gallon and it's annoyingly small. The water bottle is 4x smaller yet. I would think you'd be refilling it every 10 squirts?
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
This is an interesting idea, but why not just get the Apex washer bottle relocation tank?
Because it cost $70 and he has the satisfaction of a DIY. I removed my washer bottle so 10 squirts could last me a long time, even if it was just for an emergency. I could see if you are a DD, this might a pain to constantly refill. But for occaisonal use it's an inexpensive solution.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Considering that I only used the fluid maybe twice last year, 10 squirts will last a long time. That was only a rough estimate; the bottle might actually have 40 squirts in it. YMMV.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Here's the full article for those of you who need it:

Build your own replacement windshield washer bottle for under $15.

If you put an aftermarket air intake in your camaro, and then later decide to install one of the air scoops to help it out, they require the removal of the stock washer bottle. You can then either have no bottle, install a bottle from Apex $$ or Roto-Fab $$$, or make your own.

The OEM bottle can hold over a gallon of fluid, which weighs about 9 pounds. If you use a liter bottle, weight drops down to 2 pounds, and a 500 ml bottle weighs about a pound. I figure even the smallest bottle should be good for 6-10 squirts to clean the windshield.

3 bottles shown:
left is OEM,
middle is my first white liter bottle,
and right is my new smoke 500 ml bottle.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

This is my 2nd bottle fabrication. I originally started with a liter bottle that I had lying around. It was a white color, and while this made it easy to see how much fluid was in it, it also added another white bottle under my hood that really stood out from the darker engine parts.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I found a neat smoke colored bottle from Outdoor Products at Walmart for $3.50. They also have a liter bottle for a few cents more. The bottles are available in smoke (black), red, blue, yellow, green, pink and maybe some other colors too. They are translucent so that you can see fluid through them. If you want one of these bottles, I suggest that you rush over there, as they are being closed-out.

(white adapter is not included)
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I bought 4 plumbing pieces after reading about the best way to prevent leaks. A male threaded plug, an o-ring, a double threaded female socket, and a male threaded 1/2” to 3/8” adapter.

These are in 1/2” sizes, which are the smallest sold. 1/2” means that it will accept a 1/2” pipe; not that it is 1/2” diameter. It is a little over 3/4” diameter.

Plumbing parts are strange, in that threads are tapered. The farther you turn them, the tighter they get. If you screw them all the way in, there is a strong possibility of breaking the parts.

I sanded the socket smooth where it screws against the bottle (o-ring side).

You can also use metal parts to replace these 4 pieces, which will be smaller; but the price will go up substantially.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I drilled a smaller hole in the bottom of the bottle, and sanded it out with a dremel, and then used a hand sanding sponge out to the finished size. I also used the dremel to route out a drain thru the top of the closed male threaded plug, then mounted the o-ring on it.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Final assembly has the plug and o-ring inside the bottle, with the female socket outside, screwed hand tight to the bottom of the bottle, then 1/3 turn more with pliers.

The adapter is screwed into the bottom with teflon tape over the threads; hand tight.

Liquid would have to get past the o-ring to leak down the outside of the adapter, but easily flows through the adapter into the wash line.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I had made a bracket for holding my previous white bottle, from 4 pieces of flat clamp that I got for a dollar. I bent them into shape using a vice and a hammer. I bolted it together so that it would fit over the old air cleaner stud. I bent the bottom to support the bottle, and bent 2 arms to hold it in place. I then wrapped it in electrical tape to hide the shiny metal.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 03-01-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I use a flat washer and a nut to hold it in place.
Attached Images

Tags
diy, inexpensive, mod, plastic, wash tank