Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
SJM Autoprod - Sequential Tail Lights Kit

I got this kit (circuit board and parts) on Saturday. It took me over 2 hours to do the basic soldering. The jumpers on the back of the circuit board were an absolute nightmare. Every time I would get them attached, they would be cold solder joints. When I attempted to fix them, they would fall apart.

The first jumper took me over 2 hours, the second 45 minutes, and 3-4 were 5 minutes total. If you have any nerve damage in your hands like me, I suggest that you find some kid to solder for you, or buy the assembled kit for $80. You could also wait until they release the next circuit board with the updated traces to avoid the jumpers.

I used a helping hands from Harbor Freight to hold the boards for soldering (about $3 on sale). The jumpers would have been impossible without this. As it was, I'm sure most of my neighbors heard my screamed f-bombs through the walls as the jumpers kept unsoldering. Fun times.

When I had the circuits assembled, I first went back and made sure that there were no cold solder joints anywhere. I then built a test rig with LEDs (like Jacfab) and made sure that everything worked before I went any further. They did!

I then gooped the back of each board with liquid electrical tape for waterproofing. I also gooped key areas on the front side, leaving the mosfet, chip, cap, and adjustment free, but gooping any exposed traces around them.

Installation on the car took about an hour, but most of that was gooping the splices and waiting for them to dry. I zip-tied the circuits to the existing harness so that they would be off of the water channel, and not be able to move and contact the body. Even though they are insulated, I figure why take a chance?

I took a short movie showing the results: http://youtu.be/4ydeuefoGcs. It was worth the hassle.

All in all, if you lack patience, or have really shaky hands, you might want to buy the assembled kit and skip the soldering.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 05-25-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: new movie
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
In this case, it's the destination and not the journey, huh? Good job hanging in there!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Well I was looking for a rope a few times...
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I need to get me a helping hands thing... Probably would have made adding the jumpers much easier... Glad you made it through the process and got them installed!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote