The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
SATINSTEEL1LE
 
Drives: 21 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: South East
Posts: 226
Upgrade this ANCIENT message board.

I know it takes manpower and its not cheap/free, but this is one of the most ancient vbulletion boards I visit. You are missing loads of features and bug fixes. At some point it would be nice to be able to paste in an image instead of the old school upload method. And a few reaction buttons to posts would be nice. Plus an ignore member feature that actually worked...

Its time to upgrade the board. This place looks/feels old and needs the new version. Its time...

We are on Version 3.8.9 Beta 4, and they are up to 5.6.8. You are probably 50 versions behind. Its embarrassing.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

Quote:
You can upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 5 Connect from the following vBulletin versions:
Any version of vBulletin 5
Any version of vBulletin 4, from version 4.0.0 Beta 1 to the latest version.
Any version of vBulletin 3 from version 3.6.0 and newer. If your vBulletin version is older than 3.8.0, it is recommended that you upgrade to at least vBulletin 3.8.0 before you can upgrade to vBulletin 5.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 36,803
This site is quite a departure from VBulletin and has plenty of custom setups that you don't get in the new versions. I would rather do a completely different software rather than the newer VBulletin versions. I just discontinued two of the V5 cloud versions I had and never liked any of them better than this one.

If it isn't broke don't fix it is my opinion on this subject.
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This site is quite a departure from VBulletin and has plenty of custom setups that you don't get in the new versions. I would rather do a completely different software rather than the newer VBulletin versions. I just discontinued two of the V5 cloud versions I had and never liked any of them better than this one.

If it isn't broke don't fix it is my opinion on this subject.
Didnít Chuck Yeager say that?
Rob3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 36,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Didnít Chuck Yeager say that?
ha ha... I'm sure he did. I actually used to chat with him quite often on in CA. He had an office down the hall from me.
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
ha ha... I'm sure he did. I actually used to chat with him quite often on in CA. He had an office down the hall from me.
😂 Youíre good people Mlee.
Rob3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 36,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
😂 Youíre good people Mlee.
Sometimes...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  24.9 KB
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:45 PM   #7
rocknroll_jeph
 
rocknroll_jeph's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Beijing & Michigan
Posts: 397
I don't participate in many online forums, but I can tell this one is dated. That being said I do like the simplistic and familiar (retro?) layout.

It's like a cozy pair of pajama bottoms, or perhaps a better metaphor would be the seating position of my Camaro. Not perfect, but its mine and I'm so used to it that anything else would feel strange.

My biggest complaint is that I just wish the front page was updated from time to time.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
SATINSTEEL1LE
 
Drives: 21 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: South East
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
I don't participate in many online forums, but I can tell this one is dated. That being said I do like the simplistic and familiar (retro?) layout.

It's like a cozy pair of pajama bottoms, or perhaps a better metaphor would be the seating position of my Camaro. Not perfect, but its mine and I'm so used to it that anything else would feel strange.

My biggest complaint is that I just wish the front page was updated from time to time.
I do participate in many forums. And yes this one is the oldest I encounter. Its just hanging on by a thread it feels.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
SATINSTEEL1LE
 
Drives: 21 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: South East
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This site is quite a departure from VBulletin and has plenty of custom setups that you don't get in the new versions. I would rather do a completely different software rather than the newer VBulletin versions. I just discontinued two of the V5 cloud versions I had and never liked any of them better than this one.

If it isn't broke don't fix it is my opinion on this subject.
Um like WHAT?? What does this board have thats so revolutionary? You cant even like a post, or embed a video or paste in a picture. NONE of the newer features. What am I missing?
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 36,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
I don't participate in many online forums, but I can tell this one is dated. That being said I do like the simplistic and familiar (retro?) layout.

It's like a cozy pair of pajama bottoms, or perhaps a better metaphor would be the seating position of my Camaro. Not perfect, but its mine and I'm so used to it that anything else would feel strange.

My biggest complaint is that I just wish the front page was updated from time to time.
Nailed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
I do participate in many forums. And yes this one is the oldest I encounter. Its just hanging on by a thread it feels.
It's actually the largest privately owned car forums out there and not just holding on by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Um like WHAT?? What does this board have thats so revolutionary? You cant even like a post, or embed a video or paste in a picture. NONE of the newer features. What am I missing?
You obviously have not been an Admin on any of those forums. The database on this one is massive and not something you just convert over to one of the newer versions.

As far as embedding videos... it's a simple copy link and paste... doesn't get any easier such as what other sites require with tags and all.
One of the customizations here is it will auto tag it for you but you're not going to see that as a regular user.



Here is a 2nd way to embed Videos that is part of this site but not the newer ones.

__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.