Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Too soon to talk about the 7th gen?

I know, I know, the 2019 refresh was just unveiled (and hasn't even hit the lots yet) but being a 6th gen owner (2016 SS) I was just curious, do you think the 2019 refresh will last as long as the 5th gen refresh before an entirely new generation comes out?

Reason I am curious is because for a couple years I have been thinking of upgrading to a 2SS and with the recent refresh, I am going to hold off a little longer. That said, looking at the 5th gen, the refresh only lasted 2 years before the now 2016 6th gen came out. Do you think GM would follow the same timeline OR are do you think they will keep the 6th gen around a little longer?

Below I broke down the timeline of the 5th gen, and the current timeline of the 6th, to make it easier:

5th Gen
  • 2012 (very minor interior refresh)
  • 2014 - Refresh

6th Gen
  • 2019 - Refresh

Looking above, the 5th gen lastest 6 years and the 6th gen is going on it's 4th year with this refresh (a year sooner than previously done). I am guessing the 2021 might be the last of the 6th gen, at MOST, topping out the generation with 6 production years.

I know this is WAY too soon but just curious to hear your thoughts?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Seems about right to me.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Seems like 2021 is a reasonable year for a new model. Not sure how they will play it. I wonder if they will stick to the Alpha platform?
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
If it is 2021 then they would actually be designing it now and that’s kind of scary because the current designers haven’t been doing such great job recently. Gas prices are going up again and sales are down. I don’t know the Camaro might have to change a lot if it’s still around.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, if the Corvette goes mid engine completely by 2021-22, then the Camaro might come out as Chevy's new 2 seat front engine sports car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Well, if the Corvette goes mid engine completely by 2021-22, then the Camaro might come out as Chevy's new 2 seat front engine sports car.
Why would Camaro lose its back seats? I actually wouldn’t mind that because I’m used to two-seaters, but I’m just wondering what a new mid engine vette has to do with that.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
With the Vette going mid-engine that leaves an opening for the Camaro to go p market. Lose the back seat and become more expensive.

I personally hope the 7th gen is on its way. Looking at the 2019 refresh I can honestly say that I will not even consider replacing my car the 2019.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
coruiz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCobalt View Post
Why would Camaro lose its back seats? I actually wouldn’t mind that because I’m used to two-seaters, but I’m just wondering what a new mid engine vette has to do with that.
The increase in pricing for the Vette could send some buyers over to the Camaro
Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coruiz View Post
If that was the case, going up market wouldn't require losing back seats. I think Camaro will be able to spread more upmarket, but will still need to maintain moderately priced options, which will likely require marketing to people who get at least some usage of the rear seats. Going to a two-seater eliminates an entire class of customers who need some semblance of a rear seat (package shelf ).

We're already at a point today where some Camaros cost more than some Corvettes. If Corvette goes further up market, it leaves more room for high priced Camaro variants, but you cannot take the entire line up there.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by coruiz View Post
If they price the Mid engine Corvette starting in the $65k range some Camaro buyers will go that way. I do think we will see a hatch back in the next Gen Camaro.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
That was a half joking comment. But the truth is that a lot folks that buy Corvettes like it for the front engine design that allows for a little storage for a road trip or going to the golf course, or to use it as a daily driver. The mid engine Corvette is going to change that dynamic, and those folks will be looking elsewhere.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
That was a half joking comment. But the truth is that a lot folks that buy Corvettes like it for the front engine design that allows for a little storage for a road trip or going to the golf course, or to use it as a daily driver. The mid engine Corvette is going to change that dynamic, and those folks will be looking elsewhere.
Very true. People were always amazed at what I could store back there. I have a pic in my bio or whatever it’s called of one of the vettes I took on a camping trip. I put everything but the kitchen sink in there. That’s one thing I miss about the corvettes. I would LOVE a CAMARO with a HATCH and two seats. I understand why they use 2+2 but that would be a dream come true.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
With the Vette going mid-engine that leaves an opening for the Camaro to go p market. Lose the back seat and become more expensive.

I personally hope the 7th gen is on its way. Looking at the 2019 refresh I can honestly say that I will not even consider replacing my car the 2019.
I don't think that would be the smartest move. Corvette buyers are just that... Corvette buyers. And it's not a very big market. They're going to buy a Corvette even with the price increase. Camaro needs to and will stay in its market.

Also, I've heard from a very dependable source that the 7th gen will be a 2021 model year car.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Pushing the Corvette upscale , OK competition for ford GT maybe and other exotics. Pushing the already most expensive pony car (Camaro) with the lowest sales upscale and making it more unaffordable is not a good idea.imho

Last edited by RealG; 05-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote