The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > In Car Electronics (NAV, Audio, Entertainment, Gauges, etc.)

Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
GForensic

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT California Special
Bose Sound Systems

This car gets better and better everyday!

Name:  081313_1.jpg
Views: 24161
Size:  27.4 KB

Get ready to get blasted by the Stingray’s sound system.

Corvette’s long history with Bose stereo systems, which dates back to the 1984 model, continues in extraordinary fashion with the upcoming 2014 Corvette Stingray.

The standard nine-speaker Bose system can be supplanted with another system that adds one more speaker – an 8-inch Nd woofer inside a 14-liter bassbox in the trunk.

It’s the first time more than one Bose system has been offered in the Corvette.

As usual, the Bose system for the Stingray is custom-engineered for the Corvette interior and includes some advanced features that can provide live rock-concert-level volume without audible distortion. Will Stingray drivers have to wear earplugs to save their hearing?

Perhaps most interesting is the next-gen Bose AudioPilot noise compensation system that works automatically.

It uses a microphone in the cabin to monitor background noise and an algorithm to analyze the music signal and adjust it to reduce the effects of sounds from outside, things like the rumble of the engine and noises from outside when the targa top is removed or the convertible top is lowered.

Click here to see a larger version of this graphic showing off the Bose Centerpoint sound system in the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Users will be able to customize their Bose experience so that the sound balances for both seats, just the driver’s seat, or Centerpoint surround mode to immerse the entire cabin with sound.

The Centerpoint system converts the stereo signal into multiple channels to reproduce the music with greater accuracy, making every voice and instrument sound like it’s on a concert stage.

Due to physical obstacles and space limitations, Bose and Chevrolet worked closely together as the Corvette’s interior just began to take shape. That resulted in some unusual speaker placement. For example, unlike ordinary cars, the two mid/high range speakers are in different spots in each door of the Stingray, forcing Bose tuning skills to make sure sound is reproduced optimally. Another such speaker was placed in the center of the instrument panel. Each rear side panel behind the seats includes a full-range speaker, and 1-inch tweeters in each corner of the instrument panel are angled toward the seats. Two 10-inch Nd woofers provide bass from each door.

Source:
FinancialPost.com

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...ette-stingray/
GForensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Anyone with some knowledge on bose systems, or just general sound system know how: would it be possible for me to upgrade to the uplevel system? Will bose offer that bass box separately, and if so, is that something a dealer would have to do? If I can't upgrade with the bose box, are these systems known to be impossible to go aftermarket with, or should I be able to add my own sub relatively painlessly? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Its all the same head unit so shouldn't be a issue as long as the sub has a built in Amp or is hopefully not being pushed off the head unit
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Its all the same head unit so shouldn't be a issue as long as the sub has a built in Amp or is hopefully not being pushed off the head unit
The diagram shows an amp as part of the setup, it appears to be in the side of the trunk. Hopefully it's not too difficult then. Difficult to me just sounds like $$$$$$. I'm sure if Bose does sell the bass box, it'll be a TOP dollar purchase.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
When replacing Blowz anything in car stereo world, you typically have to go with both new amps and speakers since they use a proprietary amp and wiring scheme (non-standard resistance, etc.). There is a 3.25" twiddler as a center channel, 1" tweeter in each corner of the dash, 3.25" midrange in each door and a 10" mid/woofer as well. In back I believe it's a 8" sub in a 14 liter ported enclosure. Their "centerpoint processing" module lives in the back and I'd suspect it's a combo amp/EQ/processing box so take that into account. Also remember that the C7 has active noise cancellation so be ready to either deal with that or bypass it completely out of your audio customization plans. There will probably be an aftermarket integration harness which will allow replacement of amps and speakers with higher level equipment. As you've probably gathered, I abhor Blowz as marketing driven crap. They typically are very average to poor components resulting in poor value for the sound you get. I've read that some claim this is one of Blowz better efforts but I'll hold judgement until I hear it in person. $0.02
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
SCM_Crash

Drives: 2014 Z51 3LT
The 8" subwoofer is driven off the surround-sound amp. If you want to upgrade the 1LT sound system to the 2LT sound system, you'll need that amp. The rest of the speakers should be the same.

What I don't know is if they use that same amp in both 1LT and the 2LT/3LT. If it is, then you'd pretty much just need that trim piece, the subwoofer, and whatever wire connections they have.

Something to think about, though, is that the back trim piece that is different for the 2LT version also houses the electric venting system. So if you replace that trim piece to include the subwoofer, it's probably going to be a complicated upgrade.
SCM_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
1BlinkGone

Drives: Any
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
I abhor Blowz as marketing driven crap. They typically are very average to poor components resulting in poor value for the sound you get. I've read that some claim this is one of Blowz better efforts but I'll hold judgement until I hear it in person. $0.02

I could not agree more. "Oh lookie I get to choose between TWO Bose systems!!" Golly-gee that's a real bonus.

They need to stick to making desktop radios and stay out of automobiles. (oh please oh please...) When I heard that Bose was being put into the C7, I cringed... I'm cringing just thinking about it right now. Good for listening to talk radio, but not music. Every Bose auto system I've either owned or heard was pretty consistent in one regard: Flat, lifeless, yuck.

I'm not holding my breath that this C7 system will be any different, but I guess we'll hear soon enough AND I HOPE I'M TERRIBLY WRONG. It will be exciting to see some aftermarket solutions... or maybe I'll just leave the OEM thing off and listen to the exhaust.. or maybe even put that upgrade cash on an Akrapovic Titanium exhaust if they get onboard, for some real "tunes".

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 08-23-2013 at 03:56 AM.
1BlinkGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
SCM_Crash

You should google "top audio systems in cars". The high-end bose system is always on the top lists. But that's because those manufacturers contract the better sounding systems from Bose.
2002 Corvette Z06
2003 Corvette Z06

2014 Corvette Z51
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
1BlinkGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM_Crash View Post
You should google "top audio systems in cars". The high-end bose system is always on the top lists. But that's because those manufacturers contract the better sounding systems from Bose.
Don't need to google it.... have heard plenty of them in the allegedly "high end" applications. I haven't heard one yet from Bose as far as the better ones. They truly have had pole position up to this point in marketing.

Burmester, Mark Levinson, B & O, etc will all embarrass a BOSE auto audio system... that is, unless BOSE has stepped up their game considerably with the C7 ...and I really hope they have. IMHO it's quite telling that Maserati has jumped ship from BOSE and finally went elsewhere... YMMV.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
SCM_Crash

A few people on CorvetteForum have said they've heard the new 2LT/3LT system and said it's outstanding. They also said the 1LT system is still light years better than the 2013's system. Every report as of yet has been that the sound system is a MAJOR step up. Some have compared it to the high end HK systems.
2002 Corvette Z06
2003 Corvette Z06

2014 Corvette Z51
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
yellowray

Drives: C7 ordered
I sniped this from a post on another forum:
Author: Chuck Hawks, a professional driver
"I'm not being compensated or enticed to write all these praises. In fact I'm taking this up on my own accord and no one outside of you, the reader and me even know that I'm penning this. With that being said, I'll be honest when I say that while the audio system looks pretty; the sound quality leaves a good bit for me to desire. Many people will say that the audio system should be the exhaust note (and damn this car's exhaust note is AWESOME!) or that they are not an audiophile and it doesn't really matter to them. Well, I am an audiophile with a history in the industry of recording arts and high-end consumer gear (another chapter of my life...)

The car I was driving had the 10-speaker audio system that includes a sub-woofer mounted in a 15 liter box. Apparently, the designers did not take time to do any math around acoustically fitting the sub to the payload area, or tuning it to its cabinet size. That or they must have simply thought bigger is better and that's it. The system, with tone controls set flat sounds enormously boomy and the bass response is as floppy and inaccurate as a bowl of el-dente noodles. If you like big, blurry bass to the point that your license plate holder is rattling loud enough to be heard inside the car, or you're one of those people who immediately and automatically turn up the bass without even listening to the system and no regard for anything else in the song that's on, then you might enjoy this system. I ended up turning the bass down about 1/2 to 2/3 of its adjustable range and it still sounded boomy and inaccurate to me. Any lower than that and it immediately went anemic. Last week, a GM engineer told me that the audio team wanted more space for their boom box sub but were told no. Good call... I can't imagine what they were thinking.

I did get in a different car at the track that did not have the boom-box sub option and its system sounded adequate. Not fantastic but better than the more expensive system with the sub."
yellowray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
yellowray

Drives: C7 ordered
Let's see how this system works, hopefully it will be acceptable, if not perhaps we can work on some simple mods like....reduce or partition the sub-woofer box? Time will tell. Replacement of a system that's as integrated with the car's systems like noise canceling as this Bose system is may not be practical.
yellowray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
1BlinkGone

Time to start considering aftermarket options, methinks... Akrapovic!!! Yeah, that's the ticket. lolololol
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowray View Post
The car I was driving had the 10-speaker audio system that includes a sub-woofer mounted in a 15 liter box. Apparently, the designers did not take time to do any math around acoustically fitting the sub to the payload area, or tuning it to its cabinet size.
A 15 liter box really isn't that big... only a bit over 1/2 cubic foot. For compairson, here is the box volume for Kicker Comp 10" woofers (I use Kicker because it's a fairly popular sub, not because I like it).

Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters)1.0, 28.3
Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters)2.4, 68
Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)**1.25, 35.4
Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)**1.75, 49.6

**Port volume excluded

All of those are bigger than 15 liters... If anything, I would bet that box is actually too small. Is it ported or sealed? As the author suggested, if it's ported, it's probably a tuning issue.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote