The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
C6Z06dude

Drives: 2009 C63 AMG,06 Evo,07 VW GLI,
Not a single test on the Automatic transmission C7

Folks,

I am growing frustrated. I have in hand the motortrend car magazine from September, the Automobile magazine(September issue) and CAR AND DRIVER car magazine(September issue) as well and none of them tested the Auto transmission.

This is a deal breaker, I want to order my C7 vette this coming week but I will not order until I see a test of the Auto transmission.

Everyone swear up and down on the previous tremec TR6060(that is what I had on my 08 Z06) and it was garbage, "ever wonder why when I sold it the car had 4 other owners in less than 4 years?"

I look for any videos with the Auto transmission and I have seen a couple but not a real test yet. Like I said, this is a deal breaker, I am just waiting for a test.
Previous car> 08 Z06 with cams, heads,headers and other minor stuff
C6Z06dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Z06dude View Post
Folks,

I am growing frustrated. I have in hand the motortrend car magazine from September, the Automobile magazine(September issue) and CAR AND DRIVER car magazine(September issue) as well and none of them tested the Auto transmission.

This is a deal breaker, I want to order my C7 vette this coming week but I will not order until I see a test of the Auto transmission.
Yeah it is certainly very frustrating. I read somewhere they expect to sell 80/20 autos to manuals. So why in the world would you not have the mags test an auto as well? They even pushed out the manual's EPA numbers first, and we still haven't heard the numbers for the auto. Very frustrating.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I could be wrong and as far as I know there is no actual proof but it seems to me the mags etc. choose to test standard transmission versions when there is a choice and complain about the lack thereof if there is no choice.

I would also be concerned about the long term validity of the test in that it appears there will be an eight speed automatic offered. If there is to be a published test of a Stingray with an automatic transmission it should be of the eight speed version.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
I could be wrong and as far as I know there is no actual proof but it seems to me the mags etc. choose to test standard transmission versions when there is a choice and complain about the lack thereof if there is no choice.

I would also be concerned about the long term validity of the test in that it appears there will be an eight speed automatic offered. If there is to be a published test of a Stingray with an automatic transmission it should be of the eight speed version.

Laborsmith
Hmmmm. What makes you say this about the 8 speed? I will cry if I end up with one of the only 6 speed auto C7's. I may need to act really fast though, so please hook me up with some more info about this. I really do not like the idea of getting a placeholder transmission. I was okay with the 6 speed thinking it had been well thought out and used for a reason. Now thinking it is simply the only thing around for now is making me a bit upset.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
C7 is 6 speed only for now.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
C7 is 6 speed only for now.
I somewhat agree with the for now statement, GM/Ford are working on a joint transmission project even though each will manufacture their own final product. The first 8 speeds which would be a standard configuration would go in trucks and cars with the traansmission directly behing the engine. So with that said I don't see the 8 speed integrated into the Corvette for a few more years and not in the 15 or they would not have charged for the auto in the 14, some what like happened in the first year C6 when they knew the next year their would be a change. Just my thoughts.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
Yeah it is certainly very frustrating. I read somewhere they expect to sell 80/20 autos to manuals. So why in the world would you not have the mags test an auto as well? They even pushed out the manual's EPA numbers first, and we still haven't heard the numbers for the auto. Very frustrating.
I suspect they don't want autos being reviewed because the magazines would (1) compare it to real DCTs in the competition and complain, and (2) be tough on the car because it isn't a manual. Reviewers are generally very pro manual and anti auto so the reviews will likely be more favourable in manual form.

I would bet that we won't see any auto reviews until another transmission (8 speed, DCT, etc) is available in the future.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCC View Post
I somewhat agree with the for now statement, GM/Ford are working on a joint transmission project even though each will manufacture their own final product. The first 8 speeds which would be a standard configuration would go in trucks and cars with the traansmission directly behing the engine. So with that said I don't see the 8 speed integrated into the Corvette for a few more years and not in the 15 or they would not have charged for the auto in the 14, some what like happened in the first year C6 when they knew the next year their would be a change. Just my thoughts.
Ford and GM are working on 9/10 speed transmissions.

GM is doing an in-house 8 speed that might work its way into Corvette in a few years, but for now, GM's official statement on the automatic is a 6-speed.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
laborsmith

Thank you, Fenwick.

I see the eight or great auto trans coming into play for the 2016 model year during the period when the carbon footprint regs take effect. Which means anyone buying a C7 equipped w/auto trans this year will be driving a dated (but not obsolete) C7 three years from now.

Laborsmith
Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
IXLR8

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
I'm kind of in the same boat on this but leaning towards the manual, luckily my wife knows how to drive a manual.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Way to rain on anyone with an autos parade gentlemen.

Still looking forward to my vette in a several weeks!
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
1BlinkGone

Drives: Any
I did read somewhere a review of the auto trans C7 and it was a very positive review. In light of that, and because my C7 will be a DD, I'm considering the 6-spd auto trans. If this were just a weekend fun car, it would be the 7-sp manual. I'll see if I can find the link to that article- they were quite impressed with it.
1BlinkGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
laborsmith

I read a similar if not the same review, but given the number of reviews I have read, I have no idea which one it could have been.

Laborsmith
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
IXLR8

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
They test manual and auto here but they don't say much about the auto for some bizarre reason.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote