The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #7603
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I see the all new Ford F-150 Full Electric "Lightning" will be unveiled next Wednesday on the 19th. Due to launch as a 2023 model.

I'm real curious to see what they have to offer.

Kind of a gut punch in my opinion that Ford may beat GM's Silverado EV launch date. With all the Ultium platform talk from GM and all the "EV speak" we've heard from them, it's surprising to see that Ford beat GM to the market with a "normal" sized CUV that doesn't look like an EV, and now possibly will beat them with the full size truck EV.

I know that GM has been pushing up the date for the Silverado EV. I can see why now.
Ford started work on the F-150 EV at least a year before GM started work on a Silverado EV. The fact that Ford was so far along in development is the reason they aren’t using the Rivian platform, even though they have a half billion dollar investment in Rivian. They would have had to start over and flush most of the work already done on F-150 EV.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #7604
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
In the race towards mediocrity and disappointment history has shown GM will not settle for second place. Remember this hunk of technological dog do-do the Evil Empire attempted to cram down our throats many years ago? Oh, the humanity!!!
So you really had to go back 40 years to make a point? You could’ve at least pulled out Aztek. That’s only about 25 years.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-10-2021, 11:00 PM   #7605
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So you really had to go back 40 years to make a point? You could’ve at least pulled out Aztek. That’s only about 25 years.
The Aztek. Oh my. I've put forth a significant effort to suppress the memory of that thing. If GM applied that name to that type of vehicle in today's society my guess is the indigenous people of Central America would have grounds for a hefty lawsuit.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #7606
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Ford started work on the F-150 EV at least a year before GM started work on a Silverado EV. The fact that Ford was so far along in development is the reason they aren’t using the Rivian platform, even though they have a half billion dollar investment in Rivian. They would have had to start over and flush most of the work already done on F-150 EV.
If the Lightning is anything like the new F150 Powerboost - it will be very, very good.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #7607
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
If the Lightning is anything like the new F150 Powerboost - it will be very, very good.
GM should've used Voltec in the Silverado.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #7608
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I’m actually shocked Voltec never showed up in trucks or SUVs.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #7609
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Totally agree. Cost/complexity. IMO it was the stop gap they need before full EV. Now Stellantis and FoMoCo can offer something GM can't/won't.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #7610
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I’m actually shocked Voltec never showed up in trucks or SUVs.
Via Motors started out putting a Voltec like system into Silverado and Sierra pickups. Now they produce full electric vehicles. The CEO is my former boss. The Chairman of the Board was and may still be Bob Lutz.

https://www.viamotors.com
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #7611
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-z06-emblem

Z06 badge.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #7612
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I see the all new Ford F-150 Full Electric "Lightning" will be unveiled next Wednesday on the 19th. Due to launch as a 2023 model.

I'm real curious to see what they have to offer.

Kind of a gut punch in my opinion that Ford may beat GM's Silverado EV launch date. With all the Ultium platform talk from GM and all the "EV speak" we've heard from them, it's surprising to see that Ford beat GM to the market with a "normal" sized CUV that doesn't look like an EV, and now possibly will beat them with the full size truck EV.

I know that GM has been pushing up the date for the Silverado EV. I can see why now.
I am very curious to see what it looks like. That is always my biggest gripe with EVs. If it looks like an F-150 and is jsut as capable they will have hit a home run.

If it has over exaggerated styling to show its electric I think it will be a swing and a miss
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #7613
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Via Motors started out putting a Voltec like system into Silverado and Sierra pickups. Now they produce full electric vehicles. The CEO is my former boss. The Chairman of the Board was and may still be Bob Lutz.

https://www.viamotors.com
I should have been more clear. I’m surprised GM didn’t do more with Voltec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM must be getting close to revealing the Z06 if they are putting out these teasers.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #7614
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I should have been more clear. I’m surprised GM didn’t do more with Voltec.

GM must be getting close to revealing the Z06 if they are putting out these teasers.
I knew that was what you meant. Just thought I’d point out that two people with deep ties to GM’s electrification development did exactly that. VIA’s CEO, my ex-boss, was a key member of the EV1 team, was GM’s key lead in a hybrid development collaboration with Toyota (Toyota produced the RX-350h, GM developed then cancelled the Saturn Vue 2-Mode) and Bob Lutz is Bob Lutz.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #7615
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I am very curious to see what it looks like. That is always my biggest gripe with EVs. If it looks like an F-150 and is jsut as capable they will have hit a home run.

If it has over exaggerated styling to show its electric I think it will be a swing and a miss
I guess we'll see. I think it will still look like an F-150, but also a bit exaggerated. Have you seen the teaser image and video of it? It only shows the front end lighting, while the truck itself is not visible, but it has a big light bar that runs across the entire front of the truck and then somewhat down the grille. I hope it doesn't end up looking gaudy when the real thing is revealed, but the teasers make it seem so.

Well...here's a link:
https://www.motor1.com/news/444566/2...150-ev-teaser/
Old 05-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #7616
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
So far the overall profile looks like a normal F-150. Probably will just have a new front fascia.

Definitely won't be like the Silverado EV.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions